INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: misc artists in 1 folder?  (Read 1422 times)

BroomQueen

• Recent member
misc artists in 1 folder?
« on: August 30, 2006, 03:43:57 pm »

I have a bunch of misc artists and I want them all in 1 folder because they're all the same genre ex: rock or rap. It seems the only way to get this done is to tag the name of the song correct but for the artist leave it blank and put 'rap' or 'rock' for ALL the songs. But then it changes the tag and everything is tagged really crappy. Is there another way to do this and keep the tags correct? Like maybe there's some sort of 'compilation' thingy sort of like what Album Player has? Thanks (mostly I only wanna do this right cuz last.fm won't post them cuz they're tagged so badly)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: misc artists in 1 folder?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 03:51:16 pm »

If the genres are correct, you should be able to use MC's Library Tool called "Rename file from properties".  Turn off the "file" options and use only the "directory" option.  Set the location to [genre]\ and whatever else you want.

Try a few before you do very many.

BroomQueen

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 08:06:02 am »

how do i get to those options? i can't seem to find them, thanks.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 08:19:28 am »

I would do it like this:

1. Collect the files to a playlist.
2. Select all files in the list.
3. Right-click > Library Tools > Rename Files From Properties
4. In the tool options:
- Tick "Directories", check that the base path is correct and type directly the desired subfolder path in the "Rule" dialog (or use a library field based rule like JimH explained)
- Untick "Filename"

Also, as said, try this first with a few files.

EDIT

This will physically move the files on the disk. If you would like to organize the files inside MC's database (without changing the file locations) there are other ways to do that.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 03:51:45 pm »

Hello,

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly but here's what I did with my "loose" songs:

I made a folder say "Theo's Choice" and add different artists with different songs. Then you select them all and use the tag "Album Artist (auto)" which will say "(Multiple Artists)" . I renamed this to "Various".

Cheers,

Theo
Pages: [1]   Go Up