INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug in Haali Media Splitter  (Read 4874 times)

Chan Kong-sang

• Recent member
Bug in Haali Media Splitter
« on: August 24, 2006, 03:14:22 pm »

Hello,
whenever i try to open this stream: mms://giga.streamed.by.ngz-server.de.esl-tv.net/GIGA (source - in german: http://www.giga.de/features/live/) i get a popup titled Haali Media Splitter with the error message:
Error: can't open file: 8007007b

In regards

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Bug in Haali Media Splitter
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 08:49:58 pm »

Haali Media Splitter is a separate application from MC.  It is a very commonly used DirectShow filter that is used to extract different audio and video streams from individual AVI files (among many other media container file formats).  It is included with many common "codec packs" that are available on the internet, including the CCCP, and is generally considered to be the best splitter filter around (another is the Morgan Stream Switcher, but it causes problems on many systems and isn't as capable).

MC, as a DirectShow player application, uses the splitter if it is installed and activated on your system when playing back supported media formats.  Any error messages it throws up, while they may be displayed by MC, are not specific to it.  If you try to play that same file using any other DirectShow player (such as Media Player Classic or Windows Media Player) you will likely get the same result.  These types of players (which most Windows media player apps are) don't actually render most media files themselves.  Instead, they ask the Operating System to do so.  The OS sends the file through a "chain" of different DirectShow "filters" which decode the file format, the various compression formats used, and finally render it on the screen.  This is a great way for applications to be able to support a wide variety of different media types without having to "build in" support for each individual type.  As long as someone has built a DirectShow filter, and you've installed it, the app should support whatever file type you throw at it (even if the app's developers have never seen the file type before).  The downside is that you're depending on a whole bunch of little applications written by different people to all work properly together....

The Haali Media Splitter web site is here:

http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/

I suggest you download and install the most current version of the software.  This might solve your problem.  If not, read the FAQ available there.  If you still can't figure it out, and you can successfully play the file back using other non-DirectShow methods (such as with VLC Player), you may want to submit a bug report to the matroska.org Mailing Lists.

If, by some oddball chance, you are able to play the same file back using Media Player Classic (MPC) or Windows Media Player (WiMP), then definitely post back as it could be MC specific.  This is fairly unlikely though.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 09:08:10 pm »

Also.... FWIW.  When using a system that does not have the Haali Media Splitter installed, my copy of MC played back that stream just fine.  I don't have access to a system that does have Haali installed on it right now (as my wife is using that computer).

Weird stream right now.  Very peaceful (birds chirping and a forest scene).

Either way.  Since that stream is a Windows Media stream (both audio and video), you may want to just try to disable using Haali to handle Windows Medai streams.  Not sure how to do that, but you could check the FAQ at the above mentioned web site...

If you don't need Haali (though you might if you use AVI, OGM, or MKV files with multiple audio streams for alternate languages), you could also just uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs.

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 09:19:19 am »

That is one thing I do not like Haali Media Splitter. It seems to be so eager to jump in, even when it can not play the stream. Additionally it should not, in my opinion, pop up a message box. It should just fail silently and let the application handle the error.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Chan Kong-sang

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 10:29:04 am »

Ok, ok. I 've deinstalled any codec pack and installed the file from the website mentioned above and got an error that the syntax or path is wrong, which is not. Than i've deinstalled the matroska thing and now happens nothing anymore.

Weird stream right now.  Very peaceful (birds chirping and a forest scene).
It's the night program, normally it's a stream of a games channel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up