INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 19. NEW: Added file count next to groupings in the panes. (experimental -- )  (Read 1917 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I started checking through my buglist, and noticed the new file count entries right away....
Noticed the 'unassigned' bug mentioned by Larry already...
Found the info mildly interesting as I roamed around the library...
Fleetingly wondered where I could put this info to some serious use...
noticed a lot of lagging when switching things, such as closing a full-screen display, switching viewschemes, entering library browser stacks. "bet that's the new file counting causing that" I thought to myself...

browsed around a bit more, then went into one of my staple photo workshop viewschemes....
WHOA!!! bit of a shock...

This is way, way too busy for my eyes. I've got 12 of these panes, and it hurts.
It also causes claustrophobia as all the panes squeeze up to try to accomodate the extra info. Masses of truncation going on too, making life even more difficult.

I'm sorry, but I really don't like this in it's current form. I want to turn it off.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!

me too.

I dont find the information particularly helpful. And it does look busy.

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo

I like it in some cases.  Seeing my distribution of photos by year.  Seeing the number of Unassigned in a certain grouping.

I think it should be configurable in the View Schem editing and by default start with it off.

For complex view schemes it is a lot.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team

Yes, I support RobOK!

For daily use it's  far too much, but when doing maintenance and adding stuff it is of great help like seeing hundreds of unassigned items. Turn it on/off would be a good thing, either globally or on a per view scheme basis.

And in any case, if you turn it on, we should have the option to sort by number of files like the thumbnail view.

dcwebman

I personally love it. Of course I don't use images and don't have a bunch of panes which would seem like there would be truncating anyway. With the numbers, it makes it easy to see how many of whatever you have in the pane. For example, I can see right now that I have in the one pane for Genre that I have Alternative in 93 songs and Alternative Rock in 1 song. That makes it easy for me to decide I'm going to change that Alternative Rock to Alternative and get rid of one genre.

But in light of the other comments, it would then be nice to be able to turn the feature on and off, plus the sorting by numbers option suggested.
Jeff

glynor

• MC Beta Team

I don't use the panes navigation tool much (I'm a tree navigator) so I don't care too much.  I agree with marko though.  Many of my view schemes have 6-8 "levels" and if I ever did use the panes navigation I can't imagine that I'd like the clutter....

Still.  It might be nice to be able to get that info somehow.  Maybe a Statistics Action Window pane?

EDIT: There already is one (in MC 11.1 at least, I'm at work and MC12 isn't installed here) and it works great.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jgreen

I really like having the info, but I do agree it can look "busy".  Have a look at numerical fields, such as intensity, where the sums outweigh the categories.  That's what I call busy.

I hope jriver keeps the capability--I always thought this was an important feature for stacks.

I would note that any pane that is grouped--for example "Artists" by first letter, etc--don't get the sums.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...

Hoo...they put sub totals in viewschemes....

:D :D :D

I agree with the others, that it should be optional. There are some viewschemes i would love to see this in, but not in all.

Is there a way to click the pane header and get it to sort, question here is sort by what ?

..how to specify sort order in the panes ?

LonWar

me too.

I dont find the information particularly helpful. And it does look busy.

An option would be grand... Would love to turn it off.
-

datdude

• MC Beta Team

An even better feature, is to add a tiny sort menu arrow to each column that works just like the sort option in the tile library view.

That wouid be SWEET, my firends!!!!!
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...

I agree subtotals would be better if there was the ability to sort as well, they go together. The simplest is either descending or ascending.
Pages: [1]   Go Up