INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Startling statistic?! (story included)  (Read 5260 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Startling statistic?! (story included)
« on: August 24, 2006, 10:10:40 pm »

I just noticed the interesting statistics provided by this forum.  There are some interesting items, for sure.  I suggest everyone take a quick look at them for fun!  The one that was a little bit shocking to me was the ratio of men to women.  Assuming people don't lie, the ratio comes to 10.5 men to every single woman.

Now, scary as it may sound, I don't think women are losing interest in music.  I do, however, blame the marketing team of JRiver.  You really need to consider advertising during television shows other than the Super Bowl.  I mean honestly, some women may never watch the Super Bowl and you should, therefore, broaden your advertising and marketing space.  Discuss offering discounts on MC to those who purchase Bare Minerals makeup, for example.  That will instantly increase the women user base and provide a more well rounded user suggestion pot with ideas from more individuals.  Imagine gossip spreading about what media player she uses:
(phone call)
1: omg, did you hear what Joan was using to manager her music collection, I mean, omg, it's like crazy and useless.
2: I know, that's like crazy.  I like couldn't live without my weekly MC update.  Did you get 11.1.194 yet?!  The internet image lookup was fixed!!!
1: You go girl!  I gotta get it as soon as my computer is done converting my FLAC library to APE!  Did you try that kewl tempo & pitch plugin?  I like can't live without it.
2: Omg, I love that thang!  iTunes like doesn't have anything even close.  Can you imagine life without MC's tag info editor?  I don't think life would be worth living without my custom audio view panes.
1: Can I see what you got setup?  I, um, am like dying for new views!
2: Sure girl, come over like righ away!
1: Awesome girl, see ya then girl friend!
2: Don't come over until you get the update!
1: Jeez girl!  I wouldn't have considered it!  Why should you be the lucky first all the time!

Also, don't forget the power of telemarketing (notice some manipulation in the phone call above)!

(this post assumes television advertisements were made by JRiver during the past Super Bowl)

darichman

• MC Beta Team
Re: Startling statistic?! (story included)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 10:39:25 pm »

This is the best post ever :)

Nice work!

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 08:27:15 am »

*ahem*

I'm sure the small female population we do have here don't appreciate the manner in which you chose to portray their gender, which could be part of the reason why there are so females here.

I, for one, found it amusing. But then, I, like, totally talk like that sometimes.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 08:28:48 am »

Yeah, I'm confused.  I thought Benn was a guy.

benn600

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 08:48:11 am »

1. Sorry for offending any women.
2. It was merely a somewhat entertaining story to accompany the startling statistic.
3. I am a guy.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 09:09:15 am »

some women may never watch the Super Bowl

I (being Male) never watch the super bowl

am i abnormal now?

Females for the most part do not play with computers, it has been this way as far back as i can remember.

It has nothing to do with JRiver it has something to do with the inter-workings of the female brain.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

benn600

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 09:15:20 am »

This post is completely bogus, fake, unreal, etc.  It is a joke.  Please read it and laugh.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 09:53:38 am »

I think we are.  Many people here have a quite dry sense of humor (King and Jim inclusive).  I'd say no worries!   ;D

This is the best post, like, ever :)

T,FTFY.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 10:08:06 am »

My sense of humor has always been dry and sarcastic.

Whenever somebody thinks I'm mad when I'm not, I always tell them that whenever there's a question about it, assume I'm joking. If I'm really angry, there will be no doubt.

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 10:31:10 am »

Recently a friend of mine purchased MC - shortly after I got a phone call about a post I'd made that KingSparta had answered - he was sssoooo annoyed  ;D

He just didn't get KS's sense of humour   ?

I like it though, KingSparta and JimH just hit my 'humour bone' in the right spot  :P

Though.... before I had read many of their posts I was 'JimH'd' by a reply from him
Oh, the desolation and despaire caused by 2 well chosen words made me run through the woods grieving and tearing at my hair for a good 30 seconds before I got the joke  ;D

[edit]
I know I go over the top in my posts - that's manic depressives for you  ;D - and those two are always a good yardstick to measure by
When I get too frothy one or the other will come by with a funny put down that makes me laugh, but still reminds me to tone it down a bit
Cheers gents - keep up the good work  ;D

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 10:36:04 am »

Whenever somebody thinks I'm mad when I'm not, I always tell them that whenever there's a question about it, assume I'm joking. If I'm really angry, there will be no doubt.

Speak on brother.  That is me to a "T".

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 10:47:10 am »

Females for the most part do not play with computers, it has been this way as far back as i can remember.

Oh really?  Maybe there's a reason for that...

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006, 10:57:25 am »

Heck I'm trying to remember a study that I read

Basically they had 50 people of various nationalities and gender, then they did the a test to see how each person rated the others for intelligence after they'd talked to each other
They did it once face-to-face and the second time it was by a synthesized voice relaying the messages

If I remember correctly in the face to face interviews women came a lot lower than in the synthersized test and nationalitiy came second as a reason to assume the other subject was 'stupid'

I think the general gist was 'the more different they are - the stupider we assume they are'   :-\

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 12:01:01 pm »

Yes

In some cases, the findings aren't any different than similar studies conducted by Pew over the years. Men tend to use the Web for information and entertainment -- getting sports scores and stock quotes and downloading music -- while women tend to be heavier users of mapping and direction services, and communication services such as e-mail.

And, in general, men are more likely to be early adopters of technology than women, the survey found.

I think: In the beginning men were drawn to computers because they could play games (something primal). I feel that women take this to be non-productive and females tend not to want to wast there time. Besides men like Gadgets and women don't understand Gadgets or men's interest in them.

If there is something new to be built women read the directions, men tend to find part "A" and Part "B" and glue the two. only when something goes wrong will a man go get a woman to read the directions so man can put part "A" and "B" together.

Men tend not to ask for directions and a woman will. a man would rather be lost for hours than to ask a woman at a 7\11 for directions. A Woman gives directions differently then men. Men know north, south, east and west. But a woman tends to know where places are (like sears) and gives directions according to places (stores) she knows or shops at.

I think for the most part Females like to talk, men don't. For my self when two or more females get together and start talking I sometimes feel drowsy and weak. I feel trapped like a wild animal and I must escape the room before my eyes roll in back of my head and or I feel my self collapse from a epileptic fit.

It is very evident with many of the studies that have been done. females indeed are wired differently then men (for the most part).

Maybe that's why we love our wifes as much as we do, a woman add's a balance to our lives.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 12:06:27 pm »

or... we just like toys more???

There's something about men that that never grows up

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2006, 12:24:00 pm »

It is very evident with many of the studies that have been done. females indeed are wired differently then men (for the most part).

Potentially.  However, I know so many counter-examples personally, that it is hard to believe that it is entirely physiological.

I think that your generalizations hold much more true for older generations, but far less so for mine (and far, far, far less so for the generation of my nephew).  The study shows that too...

"I think the real interesting story is the young women, because that is the one age cohort where there are many more women online," said Deborah Fallows, who wrote the report based on findings from surveys conducted over the past five years. "The younger women are just much more comfortable with the Internet."

There are certainly physiological differences that can explain some behavorial phenotypes, but I suspect that many more of the differences are socially determined.  Keep in mind, "society" has been treating men and women differently since (probably) before humans learned to stand up straight, much less talk and use complex tools.  Those societal views, passed down and modified from parent to child, create effects impossible to measure without finding a real "wild child", and even then, the social isolation they would endure would still seriously distort their world view.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 12:27:57 pm »

I think that your generalizations hold much more true for older generations

That's another variable

A + B divided by pie = Life
Fayetteville, NC, USA

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 12:30:13 pm »

I think the general gist was 'the more different they are - the stupider we assume they are'   :-\
Would be interesting if they did that same test on a web board. You have no clue what sex ppl are or where they are from and can only guess at what they look like or what accent they speak with. sometimes its reaching to even guess the intonation at which something is said.

No cues, got to read the message before you make up your mind.

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2006, 01:05:15 pm »

Would be interesting if they did that same test on a web board. You have no clue what sex ppl are or where they are from and can only guess at what they look like or what accent they speak with. sometimes its reaching to even guess the intonation at which something is said.

No cues, got to read the message before you make up your mind.

Very good point - but I have to admit honestly that when I read a post I do see the name and form an opionion purely based on their name
Sexist - racist - I must admit that I honestly don't know
It just seems that some names sound so stupid that I assume the people with that name are stupid as well
I know that it's just a stereotype
If someone is called 'jim-bob' he's a redneck and worthy of contempt
But I also know that the only reason that i know this is because that is what I was told
'Jim-bob' may very well be a better person than me - and that's not all that hard

The more important questions as far as I'm concerned is
'Why do I need to be better than him'

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2006, 01:13:55 pm »

If someone is called 'jim-bob' he's a redneck and worthy of contempt

Praise to him, Jim-Bob.
He, who finds the stuff And gets me a job, Jim-Bob

That was about one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2006, 01:46:25 pm »

hehe, watched that recently, i remember falling of the chair when i saw it on HBO some yrs back. Could Robin Williams be this good !!

..he nails the brit, french, japanese accents perfectly, the one about the Scotts inventing Golf was amazing.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2006, 01:53:32 pm »

I was literally weeping.  If anyone wants a good laugh... Robin Williams, Live on Broadway is a great rental for a night.

(Look, I'm giving a cigarette to a baby.)

;D

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2006, 01:57:26 pm »

It just seems that some names sound so stupid that I assume the people with that name are stupid as well

I do that same thing.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2006, 02:05:08 pm »

Oh... i just thought u liked

food

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2006, 02:07:26 pm »

Nope. I actually didn't even make that connection until somebody in here pointed it out to me.

benn600

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2006, 09:16:53 pm »

how quickly the topic has changed away from the original story line--no discussion of all the hidden hilarity in the story?  did you guys notice the accurate fact of the latest version and the "fix" in the version?  Let's try to find the hidden items and just explain the story more.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2006, 11:45:39 pm »

or... we just like toys more???

There's something about men that that never grows up

It is so true.  Honestly my personality at my current age will never change until the day I die, at least I hope not.

Women, every decade is completely different for them, from what I have seen so far, anyways.
Probably one reason for a lot of divorce. 

Women change, men don't. Who's fault, probably both.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2006, 12:43:09 am »

What's that saying?

Women marry men expecting that they'll change and then they don't.
Men marry women expecting that they'll stay the same and then they change.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2006, 01:19:03 am »

Great Expectations, it can be a killer.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2006, 04:55:31 am »

The more important questions as far as I'm concerned is
'Why do I need to be better than him'
"There is something about yourself, that you don't know, something that you will deny even exists, until its too late to do anything about it.

It's the only reason you get up in the morning, only reason you suffer the shi*** boss, the blood, the sweat & the tears. This is because you want ppl to know how good, attractive, generous, funny, wild & clever you really are. They'll all  revere me but please... think i'm special. We share an addiction, we're approval junkies.

All in it for the slap on the back and the gold watch , the hip-hip, who f*** rah. Look at the clever boy with the badge, polishing his trophy, shine on you crazy diamond. Cos we are just flunkies wrapped in suits begging for the approval of others.

If we knew this, we wouldn't do this, someone is hiding it from us and if you has a second chance, you would ask

Why?"
   Revolver
Pages: [1]   Go Up