INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PN: stars  (Read 1766 times)

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
PN: stars
« on: August 27, 2006, 05:19:29 am »

You guys at J River talk about simplifying the GUI and then you go and add more stuff.

Do we really need the Stars in the small and crowded enuff PN window??

At least make it an option/custimizable like everything else there.

Thumbs down for me.

I'm glad you dropped the file count.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

EpF

Re: PN: stars
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 05:30:42 am »

Thumbs down for me.
I disagree; thumbs up here! Though if it was something that could be turned on/off via 'customize display' it would be more consistent with normal operations.

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 08:53:28 am »

I disagree; thumbs up here! Though if it was something that could be turned on/off via 'customize display' it would be more consistent with normal operations.

Thumbs up for me too!

Next step is to allow "stars" to overlay images when they are playing (i.e. in the caption) and to be available in the Thumbnail captions!!!  That would actually be BETTER than the PN area.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 09:59:54 am »

I love the idea, but not its implementation.
Rating stars should really be a configurable element just like everything else up there. I use a lot of useful (to me) information in both lines of the player display, and these rating stars tagged on the end of the lower line like that kind of unbalances things a bit.

99% in agreement with Rob re. image thumbnails. Being able to rate an image via thumbnail text would be handy. Not so sure I'd use that during a slideshow though.

Rating images for me is an interesting thing, still in its infancy for me.
With audio, I'm at the stage where I have both feet firmly in the "give us half star ratings" camp. I would make good use of a system like that.
So far, I'm finding that with images, the GHammer approach to ratings is all I need...
1's are awful, 5's are exceptional for one reason or another. that's it. :)

jgreen

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 10:04:01 am »

Thumbs up--although I always like an on/off OPTION.

Next stop:  ratings in image captions+thumbnails!

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 04:37:36 pm »

So far, I'm finding that with images, the GHammer approach to ratings is all I need...
1's are awful, 5's are exceptional for one reason or another. that's it. :)

I use slightly more:

5 - spectacular
4 - really good, would like it in a slideshow
1 - i should really just delete this and save the disk space I don't know why I am keeping it.

Some playlists pull 5 only, some 4+5.  (again, this is just for images).

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 10:59:22 am »

Although I like having the ratings in the player area, I agree that it should be optional. It's just not consistent with the rest of the PN display.

Maybe just make it so that if the user sticks [Rating] in there, then it shows the stars. Then they could control if they want it in the Main or Alternate displays as well.

And the ratings on thumbnails is an excellent idea. Allow it to be edited at the file level, and only display the average for any level above that. You already allows us to customize the thumbnail text. Now just make it so that instead of showing 1-5 when we specify [Rating], you give us a clickable star control. That would be sweet. Maybe, for our own protection, though, only enable it for editing when Tagging Mode is activated or something?
Pages: [1]   Go Up