INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new YADB CD Lookup  (Read 2520 times)

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
new YADB CD Lookup
« on: August 29, 2006, 02:04:45 pm »

I've got a new CD lookup database ready to try out. It will work with the next build of MC12, but not MC 11 (yet).

It has a faster lookup algorithm, though this may not be as noticeable the first few days while the old data is being uploaded.

Please take a few minutes, grab 10 or 20 CDs and look them up. Post any problems or comments here.

Thanks,

j

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: new YADB CD Lookup
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 01:33:02 am »

no takers? Surprising.

Question:
Every CD I own is catalogued in MC's cd/dvd database. I was wondering if there were any particular library files I could 'hide' from MC to cause it to forget them all?

I tried hiding removable.jmd, but that file only appears to hold the volume names, leading me to the conclusion that the cd database is a bit more complex than that!!
Is the only way to do this to make a library backup and then delete the cd's from the database?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 06:26:39 am »

To re-check online, right-click the CD in the tree and pick "Update from CD database"
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 09:43:12 am »

I don't really have access to many of my CDs anymore.   ::)

Most of them are in storage.  The handful I keep around are all very-indie-artist discs that YADB has typically not found at all.

The very few CDs I buy nowadays I tend to resell used almost immediately.  Sorry... I don't know how helpful I can be there.  I'll take a look tonight though and see what I can roust up.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 10:10:27 am »

As I suspected, there is not much ripping CDs among this group of users... otherwise the streets of Minneapolis would be floaded with crowds of fellows demanding an immediate solution to the "rip refresh bug"  ;D

Anyway, I have set apart a group of CDs that I could not rip with MC due to the above bug and the fact that there were not recognized with the old yadb. I'll do my best to install the current build tonight and at least try a few of those CDs to let you know... This will also be a great opportunity to check whether the "rip refresh bug" is still there or not, since I honestly have given up to try it again at least in the last few builds.

[EDIT] Just saw that the build has been pulled out. Will wait for the next one.

dcwebman

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 10:24:13 am »

Did this in 64. After playing music for a couple hours, I paused the playback and inserted a CD. It was detected correctly and then got a Windows error for Media Center (the kind where they ask to send info to Microsoft) and MC died. Ripping worked fine after restarting MC. The next CD didn't cause the fail and everything was correct.

I did notice the following:
If the CD drive is clicked on, above the file list are two buttons: Play and Rip Tracks. I got this window the first time the popup window came up and I said to go ahead and rip. I clicked on Rip Tracks and expected it to start the ripping but I guess I thought wrong. After some playing around on the second CD I tried, I realized that the Rip Tracks means open Rip CD Action Window. This is definitely confusing.

I got the correct cover art for both which was nice but then when I went to try and find out how large the cover art was, I couldn't find a way within the tag window. If I hover over the image, I get the filename but no dimensions anywhere. I eventually had to switch to the Images tree, find the file only because I had let Otto import it, and then see the dimensions. I would expect to see the dimensions there or at least a link, if imported, to go to the Images Tag Window.
Jeff

dcwebman

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 12:43:26 pm »

BTW, I don't know if I just had bad luck with the 2 CD's I tried, but when I got the cover art from YADB, both were 200x200 in size. Hopefully that was just coincidence as I was expecting larger sizes. I found larger sizes out on the web and submitted them.
Jeff

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 10:44:44 pm »

*bump*

Please try this with the latest version, just grab a stack of CDs, stick one in the drive, then right click on the CD device in the tree, and choose "Lookup from database".

Thanks

j

dcwebman

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 08:51:23 am »

Ripped 3 CD's that I hadn't ripped yet.

First CD found correctly but artist was misspelled so I corrected and submitted to YADB. Also no cover art found so I added it and then submitted to Internet.

Second CD found everything correctly.

Third CD found contents correctly but no cover art. Found cover art and submitted to Internet.

Bottom line, looks like it's working fine and there must be a lot of Jazz users in MC land since that's what the 2nd CD was.  :)
Jeff

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 01:19:32 pm »

did 8 or so this morning.
Quite quick really, and all info correct.

Deivit

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 01:20:53 pm »

Ok, so I tried to rip a box set named "Best of the Sixties" which contains 6 CDs and was on sale last summer at Virgin Megastore New York for $36.95. It's a UK import (EMI) and the collection is completed with a "Best of the Fifties" and a "Best of the Seventies". These box set WERE NOT in the old YADB when I tried it about a month ago.

OK, so I put the first CD and... bingo! YADB found it... and quickly!  :) All the info was OK but no year and no genre, which happened very often with the old database, by the way. I filled the Album Artist, Date and Genre tags before ripping the CD and started to rip. When the rip finished, YADB searched for cover art but did not find it (no big deal).

So I went to put the second CD of the box set to find out whether the "rip refresh bug" is still there or not.

Put the CD on the tray, closed it, and was greeted with the info of the first CD  >:( Right-clicked the tree and chose "Update from CD Database".... The info of the name, album and artist was immediately updated. Great! The "rip refresh bug" seems to be solved.

However, I noticed something that has already been reported by Marko in another thread
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35552.msg242249#msg242249

1.- The tree did not update the name of the CD. It's been "Best of the Sixties CD 1" from CD 1 to CD 6 of the ripping session.

2.- The name, artist and album fields have been updated with the correct information. However, the info that I entered manually for the first CD (Album Artist, Genre and Date) has not been cleared or updated as it was supposed to, but instead was filled with the info I entered for the first CD. That's good in this case (I don't have to repeat it for the 6 Cds) but seems to be a bug since that info should be refreshed (or cleared if there's no new info available) for any new CD.

Hope it helps.

(Ripping the 6th CD of the box set right now)

Deivit

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 04:36:49 pm »

The new YADB did not find my Duke Ellington 40 CD Box Set  :-\
"They Player" (thanks AlexB) using CDDB, did find it.
Musicmatch did not.

The new YADB will find it in a few weeks. I plan to rip the box set with MC using "The Player" data from cdplayer.ini and I'll update the database accordingly.

Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up