INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library server peer-to-peer  (Read 2138 times)

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
Library server peer-to-peer
« on: September 02, 2006, 09:23:31 am »

A general MC quickie: Is it possible to connect to LS using a cable between two computers? I've moved yesterday and have no speakers to my desktop, only the internal in my laptop...
I tried and I can find the computers within the network, but MC can't find the LS :(

thanks!
/Martin

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
Re: Library server peer-to-peer
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 09:45:07 am »

You can't just connect a network cable between 2 computers.
You either must have a hub or switch between them, or use a special cross-over network cable.

The version and build number of both copies of MC must match on the two computers.

on the hosting computer:

go to command prompt and type   IPCONFIG
That shows you the ip address such as 192.168.0.1
Note the subnet as well, probably 255.255.255.0

on the laptop:

go to command prompt and type  IPCONFIG
the first 3 digits of the ip address should match the other computer and the last digit should be different.
The subnet must match the other computer.
now, type PING 192.168.0.1 (whatever the ip address showed for the host computer).
You should see a few replies.
If you see "destination unreachable" or similar, then you have a network problem that needs to be addressed.  Either the network is misconfigured or you have a firewall interfering.

Marty3d

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 04:17:48 pm »

Thanks! You're talking about basic networking setup, this is not a problem, been doing that for some time now.

Actually, what happened was that Library Server didn't start. After clicking "start server" two times, MC crashed. Tried it several times. A reboot fixed that issue.
So now I have a connection between the computers, I can browse files and so on, but MC still won't find the other computers library.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 04:52:36 pm »

Did you try a different port for Library Server?  Maybe something else is using the port.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 10:16:02 pm »

Yes, make sure both the server and client have the same port specified.
Also if Microsoft's firewall built into XP or zonealarm or similar is running, that could be blocking it.

You could also use a portscanner to verify that the server is able to answer on the port specified.

Marty3d

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 01:06:56 pm »

Thanks for trying to help me out here.

The firewalls aren't blocking MC and on other program is using the port (having used the same setup and ports a long time). I can ping the server, but after alot of testing, MC seems to be the only program that doesn't let something through.
I also tried to both let MC scan for a server and manually set up a remote library by using the servers IP.

I believe that MC just can't handle a peer-to-peer connection. Could it be?

Marty3d

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 07:56:07 am »

Just to let you know: I got it working when I set up the repeater to the cottage I'm living in now. Even though it's a crappy wireless connection that goes up and down all the time, it's better than nothing. At last I can change tunes when I want to without getting up from the bed those sleepless nights :)

Thanks for your help!
/Martin

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 01:41:22 pm »

If your network is configured correctly, there should be no difference (as far as Library Server can see) between a network of 2 computers and a more complex scenario. Check out things like default gateway, netmask etc.

j

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 01:53:02 pm »

You can't just connect a network cable between 2 computers.
You either must have a hub or switch between them, or use a special cross-over network cable.

Just a nerd-point here....

Many newer network cards and onboard networking interfaces no longer require a cross-over cable.  They simply auto-detect the need for a "crossover" and do it internally.  So.... sometimes, you can just connect a network cable between two computers...   ;D
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Marty3d

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 02:54:45 pm »

Absolutely! Like, in my case :)

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 04:38:50 pm »

I have this exact scenario .... two PCs ... one SERVER with the LS going ... 10.1.1.4 and the other with the client 10.1.1.3 .... I put in the Library Manager the Server 10.1.1.4:PORT and it works fine ...

I dont need a crossover (as my card knows what to do) ...

I've never thought twice about it!

I don't know why you're having an issue ... I run BlackICE, Windows Defender, and NAI Enterprise w/ AntiSpyware ... and those nasty things could have caused issues but not even those blocked it! ...

I don't know why you would be having issues with the network ... maybe you should try a different private address ... so that you're not using the 192.168.x.x that your regular LAN is on (if you have it connected as well) ... and make sure your DEFAULT GATEWAY is BLANK !

that's about all i can suggest....
Pages: [1]   Go Up