INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copying and importing files from an mp3 cd  (Read 1205 times)

PK_NYC

• Recent member
Copying and importing files from an mp3 cd
« on: September 10, 2006, 02:55:44 pm »

Hi,

This is probably a complete newbee question, but I can't figure it out and I didn't find anything relevant when I tried searching.

A little while ago my brother brought me a few CDs with mp3 that he ripped from my CDs that I never brought with me when I moved to the States. So, today I sat down to import them into MC. I thought that this would be a pretty simple procedure, something along the lines of popping the cd in, selecting all files in MC, and clicking Import which would then give me an option to move the files onto the hard drive and create proper folders and subfolders in my Music folder. Pretty much, an mp3 version of the CD rip process. No such luck, unfortunately. If I select the files and try to import them into the library, MC just imports them, keeping the reference to the files on the CD. This is a sensible behavior, and often that's exactly what one wants. But it would seem to me that it is not that uncommon that one wants to not only import but also copy already encoded files from a cd or a dvd onto the hard drive. I don't see an option to do this anywhere.

Is there an easy, automated way to do this? Basically, I would like to automatically copy the files from the cd, have MC create the proper artist-album folder hierarchy as it does the copying, rename the files from tags, and then import the copied files into the library. Creating the proper folders, copying files one album at a time, and then renaming them is really tedious.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Pedja

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Copying and importing files from an mp3 cd
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 03:17:25 pm »

Just copy all the files to a temp directory on your hard drive.

Import them.

Use MC to move them.  Tools/Library Tools/Rename Files from Properties.

Try a few before you do very many.

Take a look at Alex B's recent post on this.  Click on Alex B and go to Last Posts.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 03:39:02 pm »

remember to remove the read only flag from the files after copying them from the cd to the hard drive.
Also, I strongly advise removing the files that are on the cd from the main MC database. MC will still maintain a catalogue of them in the cd database, but these will be kept seperate and not interfere with your everyday MC usage.

Think: pick random files to play, that cd is not in the drive, but MC has tracks from that cd in the playing now list. When it tries to play those tracks, you will get error dialogues.

-marko.

PK_NYC

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 08:02:31 pm »

Thanks, guys. I figured this should be relatively straightforward. Everything worked as advertised. (:

Cheers,
Pedja
Pages: [1]   Go Up