INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a way to rip the audio tracks from a DVD?  (Read 4131 times)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
Is there a way to rip the audio tracks from a DVD?
« on: September 10, 2006, 01:32:16 pm »

Is there a way to rip the audio tracks from a DVD and create resulting MP3 files?

Either using MC or some software in combiniation with MC.

Rizlaw

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Is there a way to rip the audio tracks from a DVD?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 05:41:10 pm »

I believe what you're looking for is a program called "DVD Audio Extractor" which can be found at:  http://www.castudio.org/dvdaudioextractor/.
Ubuntu Gnome 20.04 LTS

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 06:17:31 pm »

I believe what you're looking for is a program called "DVD Audio Extractor" which can be found at:  http://www.castudio.org/dvdaudioextractor/.

Looks interesting.  Thanks for the advice...

Tyler Campbell

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 10:13:35 pm »

Check out the guides at http://doom9.net or http://www.videohelp.com/ for all your ripping/conversion needs. I'm not certain, but you probably want DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter to get the audio off the disc and then BeSweet or BeLight to do the conversion. Those are all free apps. Oh, and be sure you're not doing anything illegal.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 10:43:31 pm »

Check out the guides at http://doom9.net or http://www.videohelp.com/ for all your ripping/conversion needs. I'm not certain, but you probably want DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter to get the audio off the disc and then BeSweet or BeLight to do the conversion. Those are all free apps. Oh, and be sure you're not doing anything illegal.

Thanks for the suggestions…  Let me say what I’m trying to do – that may help if there are any other suggestions – and yes, it’s all legal.

I try to have my music collection in MP3 format, managed by MC, and downloaded to multiple iPods.

90% or more of my collection is MP3s ripped from the original CDs (yes, I still have the CDs as well).

Some comes from LPs that I copy to CD and rip.

The balance are music DVDs.

What I would like to do is take the music tracks from some of the music DVDs and create corresponding MP3s.

If possible, I will also eliminate 1 piece of equipment that I use for transferring my LPs to digital.  Currently I go from LP to a CD burner.  I then rip the CD to create MP3s.  I also have a DVD recorder, so I could go from LP to DVD.  I would then want to go from the DVD to MP3s.

Anyway, thanks for any and all suggestions.

Randy

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 07:23:07 pm »

I was able to download the software and try it out.  Looks great - does everything in 1 step.

wickesy

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 03:27:25 pm »

If possible, I will also eliminate 1 piece of equipment that I use for transferring my LPs to digital.  Currently I go from LP to a CD burner.  I then rip the CD to create MP3s.  I also have a DVD recorder, so I could go from LP to DVD.  I would then want to go from the DVD to MP3s.

Anyway, thanks for any and all suggestions.

Randy

Hi Randy,

You might want to look at these.  I bought one recently and it is absolutely fantastic.  It plugs straight into a USB port and will record straight from vinyl to MP3.

David

dynamikel

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 03:55:51 pm »

Hi David

I'm new to this forum so I may be missing something, but exactly what is it you're suggesting Randy looks at?  I can't see a link to anything or any idea what hardware (I assume it's hardware) you're referring to.

Help lease

Mike

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 03:57:06 pm »

Click on the word "these".  You'll see.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

wickesy

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 03:59:33 pm »

Hi Mike,

The word "these" is a cunningly disguised link to a website here: http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/usb-turntable/index.html.  You can actually click on the word "these" in my last post and it will take you to the same link I have just posted, it just looks a bit neater.

Happy to help.

David

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 11:01:32 pm »

You might want to look at these.  I bought one recently and it is absolutely fantastic.  It plugs straight into a USB port and will record straight from vinyl to MP3.

David,

I looked at these (actually - similar devices) and they are good if you want to plug your turntable into the PC.

I'm actually trying to solve 2 problems -

1) is to rip a DVD - the DVD Audio Extractor appears to do a good job at that. 

2) is just simplification - I already have a very nice turntable hooked up to my audio system.  I also have a CD player/recorder that allows me to go from the turntable to CD.  I currently go from the CD to PC by ripping the CD using MC. This still leaves me with the CD plus I have my PC files.  The vinyl then gets filed away.

I also have a DVD recorder. So I was thinking that if I had a way to RIP a DVD, I could skip the CD recording part.  That way I go from the vinyl to DVD, and DVD to the PC.

So thanks for the input.  Your suggestion is good for going from vinyl to the PC. 

Randy

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 09:34:14 am »

Hi M-R,

Perhaps I've missed something, but it seems to me the more conventional and potentially higher quality method of transferring LP to PC would be to skip the CD/DVD burning altogether.    Tape Out (receiver) --> Line In (PC soundcard) and either use MC's built in recording functionality (Tools -> Advanced Tools -> Record Sound) or a separate wave editor such as Audacity (open source/free) to record directly to HDD. Lots of guides if you Google "LP to PC"

Good Luck!

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 10:19:35 am »

Hi M-R,

Perhaps I've missed something...

The only thing you missed is I have a very good turntable that is connected to my home theater system.  The PC is not in the same room.  So it's a pain to go from the turntable to PC directly.

Randy

wilfredjg

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 10:50:47 am »

I have a question on DVD Audio. Bought a bunch of DVD audio at a yard sale. Tried to rip the tracks and its a no go. Does anyone have advice on how to do this? I tried DVD Audio Extractor 4.1 but it did not see the files on the DVD. Thanks

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 10:56:13 am »

I have a question on DVD Audio. Bought a bunch of DVD audio at a yard sale. Tried to rip the tracks and its a no go. Does anyone have advice on how to do this? I tried DVD Audio Extractor 4.1 but it did not see the files on the DVD. Thanks

I used the DVD Audio Extractor to do it and it worked just fine.  I was able to take a DVD and extract the audio saving it as MP3 files in 1 step.

wilfredjg

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2006, 11:08:27 am »

Sorry i can not do it. In the help file I get this answer.Q7: Can DVD Audio Extractor be used to extract music from DVD-Audio discs?

Not yet. This is a known limit. DVD Audio Extractor currently only support audios in DVD-Video discs, i.e., it reads VOB files under VIDEO_TS directory. DVD-Audio discs store audio tracks under AUDIO_TS directory and use different formats with DVD-Video
I wait for the upgrade. Thanks

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2006, 11:38:49 am »

It does not support audio disks.  The following is from their FAQ section.

Can DVD Audio Extractor be used to extract music from DVD-Audio discs?

Not yet. This is a known limit. DVD Audio Extractor currently only support audios in DVD-Video discs, i.e., it reads VOB files under VIDEO_TS directory. DVD-Audio discs store audio tracks under AUDIO_TS directory and use different formats with DVD-Video.

Suggestion: Many DVD-Audio discs also come with an DVD-Video zone for compatibility with DVD-Video players. In that case, you can extract audios from them as normal DVD-Video discs.

wilfredjg

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2006, 12:09:12 pm »

Thanks Randy I turn over the disks that were two sided that had video on the other side and it work great the other disks only has a picture of the cover no video. I will wait for the upgrade to do the DVD Audio only.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2006, 12:26:47 pm »

Thanks Randy I turn over the disks that were two sided that had video on the other side and it work great the other disks only has a picture of the cover no video. I will wait for the upgrade to do the DVD Audio only.

Glad it works.  I have some music DVDs (not just audio DVDs) that are not available in CD format, so this is a good way to get them into my PC library.

wilfredjg

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2006, 12:51:07 pm »

Glad it works. I have some music DVDs (not just audio DVDs) that are not available in CD format, so this is a good way to get them into my PC library.
Yes these dvd I bought today i paid $1.00 each. Lou Reed, John Lennon,Muddy Waters, Billy Joel, and couple of DVD on a Canadian CBC program called Blues Masters with James Cotton,Sunnyland Slims. This was a great find.
Pages: [1]   Go Up