INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Even better than verticle split views  (Read 1203 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Even better than verticle split views
« on: September 13, 2006, 12:07:00 am »

Everyone keeps bringing up verticle split views as a request, but how about this:

In tiles view, the "files view" that is currently under the tiles, actually be spilt vertically so that it is on the right of the tiles. Here are 3 good reasons:

1. People with squarer desktops wouldnt notice any difference in the space used. The same number of thumbnails and tiles would still be visible. They wont have lost anything.

2. People with widescreen monitors or dual monitors will have masses more space to show their files. They will really be able to maximise the use of their display.

3. It will make MC look even more distinct and different from MC11.

And here are two further suggestions regarding its implementation:

1. Have the scroll wheel of the mouse make you go sideways.

2. (Go with me on this one. I think this would be great) Split the "file view" (in its new verticle orientation) horizontally! In its top half, you would see album thumbnails, and in the bottom half, a "detailed files list" of the thumbnails above it. So now you would be able to navigate exclusively using album art and then (without having to switch views) click on an indivual file to play.
This files list could even auto collapse/expand depending on if you have any thumbnails above it selected or not.

3. An option in the "All files" options drop-down menu that sets the orientation between horizontal or verticle. (For people who mostly use the columns list view rather than thumbnails).

This is such a good idea. I cant think of any reason why it isnt better than what we've got now.

jgreen

Re: Even better than verticle split views
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 12:58:33 am »

I'm going with you on this idea, and I think it's a good one, but it doesn't necessarily exclude the idea of vertical split views for details.  In fact, I see it as complimentary, vertical views for tiles.  The main thing is that most users have gone beyond a 9-inch monochrome (amber) display, and it's time to start making use of all that width.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 12:20:39 pm »

Many of those of us with 4x3 aspect ratio monitors would probably still prefer the file list to live below the tiles list.  It also then wouldn't match the behavior of many of MC's other views (such as Playing Now -- the file list is below the visualization/display window).

Also, you really shouldn't mess with the scroll wheel.  That wouldn't match the behavior of any other windows application, and would REALLY mess with those people who have 2-axis scroll wheels.  Plus, how would you scroll down a long list of files?

1. People with squarer desktops wouldnt notice any difference in the space used. The same number of thumbnails and tiles would still be visible. They wont have lost anything.

Actually, no.  You'd be able to display more files at once, but you wouldn't be able to see any of their details (assuming you had the file listing in details mode as I always do).  To me, the details are far more important than the number on screen at once.  Scrolling and paging up/down is easy, side-to-side is not.

That said, I wouldn't mind if there were an option to display them side-by-side instead.  I'm personally not a big fan of the 3-column view motif at all, but to each their own!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 03:27:12 pm »

I am planning to buy a 16x9 screen and I think in such a case veritcal splitting would be a very nice idea. Get the cover art in the middle and infos on the right side of the screen!
Pages: [1]   Go Up