INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost all playlists  (Read 1398 times)

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
Lost all playlists
« on: September 17, 2006, 05:27:54 am »

I dont quite know how this happened but after switching between libraries I'm now back at my main library and all my playlists have disappeared.  I had dozens of custom playlists organised into playlist groups and all are gone.  The good news is that I do have a back up of my library with the playlists in it.  However I don't really want to restore my library because there's lots of other changes happened since the back up.  Is there any way I can just restore all my playlists from my back up?  I thought about exporting them all and then recreating them but that would take a long time and would not work for smartlists.

All ideas welcome.
JLee

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
Re: Lost all playlists
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 06:17:42 am »

Happens all the time for me too, I have found no way to fix it as I belive playlists is missing from the backup. So you have to roll back or make a new backup.

Hopefully this is fixed in MC12, there should be a check that the backup is complete so you can get a warning when you have a bad backup.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 07:42:16 am »

hi there rd... long time, no speak...

you could try taking the playlistx.jmd file from your backup and placing it in your current library folder. you could be very cavalier about it and just replace the existing file with the incoming one, or you could take more precautions such as renaming or moving the existing file before copying the one from the backup.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 08:19:58 am »

Happens all the time for me too, I have found no way to fix it as I belive playlists is missing from the backup. So you have to roll back or make a new backup.

Hopefully this is fixed in MC12, there should be a check that the backup is complete so you can get a warning when you have a bad backup.

That really shouldn't be happening "all the time".  I believe I've had that particular issue once in the past 2 years or so (and it was with a much older version of MC).  Are your library files shared over the network or anything similar that could be causing the playlistx.jmd file to be "in use" when it tries to write out to the file?

As far as the backup situation... I just back my library files up myself using a simple script (part of my network sharing system).  It archives the library files to a ZIP file once every 3 weeks, and always keeps a backup copy of "yesterday's" library at the ready.  This system has protected me effectively for quite some time...

I don't have the current versions posted yet, but if you check this thread out, and take a look at the BAT files, you should be able to get the idea...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 07:28:55 am »

That really shouldn't be happening "all the time".  I believe I've had that particular issue once in the past 2 years or so (and it was with a much older version of MC).  Are your library files shared over the network or anything similar that could be causing the playlistx.jmd file to be "in use" when it tries to write out to the file?

I do backup my library to a shared drive to update other computers on the network from that location(music drive mapped to same driveletter). Playlistx.jmd in the incomplete backups is  not backed up and instead there is a blank playlistx.jmd written to the backup.

MC should warn users when this happens and not just pretend a good backup is made. I have no idea why this is happening, my backup is around 20mb zipped.

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 09:35:41 am »

hi there rd... long time, no speak...

you could try taking the playlistx.jmd file from your backup and placing it in your current library folder. you could be very cavalier about it and just replace the existing file with the incoming one, or you could take more precautions such as renaming or moving the existing file before copying the one from the backup.

Top advice man as usual.  Maybe chat to you in another place some time.  Thanks for your help.
JLee
Pages: [1]   Go Up