INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fullscreen Display Mode and Video "Cut Off"  (Read 1480 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Fullscreen Display Mode and Video "Cut Off"
« on: September 17, 2006, 11:47:48 pm »

When playing a video (or visualization really but it's more annoying with video) and you bump the mouse, causing the UI to display, the portions of the video behind the UI are just hidden currently.  This wasn't a big deal with 11.1 because the UI was so small and unobtrusive.  However, with the new UI it is quite distracting if you ever do need to bump it (accidentally or to check the playhead position or volume level or something), and I thought it was distracting before..!

So... I like the new fullscreen UI, but MC really should resize the video (ala WiMP) when the UI is activated and make it fit into the remaining window.  This way, at least you won't see just the bottom of someone's head speaking through that scene in your video!  This, too, would be distracting, but at least you could still see what's going on...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Fullscreen Display Mode and Video "Cut Off"
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 02:23:50 pm »

When playing a video (or visualization really but it's more annoying with video) and you bump the mouse, causing the UI to display, the portions of the video behind the UI are just hidden currently.  This wasn't a big deal with 11.1 because the UI was so small and unobtrusive.  However, with the new UI it is quite distracting if you ever do need to bump it (accidentally or to check the playhead position or volume level or something), and I thought it was distracting before..!

I wrote the following as an image playback comment, but it fits here too:

The top bar could be activated only from the bar area itself. Then the mouse could be used on the rest of the display area without making the top bar appear. In this mode the top bar should not be initially visible.

The appearing side and bottom borders are completely unnecessary and distracting in the full screen display view.

My wish list:

- Remove the reduntant side and bottom borders from the full screen view.
- Make the top bar appear only when mouse is hovered over its area.
- Don't show the top bar when the full screen mode is started. (option?)
- Make it disappear immediately when mouse is moved away. (option?)
- If possible make the top bar smaller. However, the track info display is a nice addition and should be preserved.

So... I like the new fullscreen UI, but MC really should resize the video (ala WiMP) when the UI is activated and make it fit into the remaining window.  This way, at least you won't see just the bottom of someone's head speaking through that scene in your video!  This, too, would be distracting, but at least you could still see what's going on...

This could be an option. Personally, I would not like to see it constantly zooming back and forth.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Fullscreen Display Mode and Video "Cut Off"
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 02:54:03 pm »

I wrote the following as an image playback comment, but it fits here too:

My wish list:

- Remove the reduntant side and bottom borders from the full screen view.
- Make the top bar appear only when mouse is hovered over its area.
- Don't show the top bar when the full screen mode is started. (option?)
- Make it disappear immediately when mouse is moved away. (option?)
- If possible make the top bar smaller. However, the track info display is a nice addition and should be preserved.

If these changes were made (particularly making the top bar appear only when you mouseover it and disappearing immediately when you "mouseoff" it), I'd be happy and there'd be no need for the "zoom effect" I mentioned above.

Not sure how I feel about points 1 and 5 above (I think the size is pretty good, and I understand what they're going for with the "redundant" bottom and side bars), but the other stuff is golden.

Of course, it may all be a moot point as I won't be using MC12 for video at all (which means I really won't be using it for anything at all) if this issue doesn't change.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up