INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replay gain / RockBox  (Read 2025 times)

Araj

• World Citizen
Replay gain / RockBox
« on: September 19, 2006, 09:36:36 am »

I'm running RockBox on an iRiver H120. RockBox fails to recognize the replay gain values in the ID3 tag set in the MP3s by MC. Have I done something wrong or is this a compatibility issue?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Replay gain / RockBox
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 10:04:47 am »

JRiver developed a proprietary replay gain tagging system almost five years ago. After that other developers have adopted various systems for writing replay gain (or volume levelling etc) info to the MP3 file tags. Unfortunately there is no common standard.

I suppose that Rockbox can only use replay gain tags that are written in foobar2000 style. Also, the reference value is different if it uses fbk2 tags (89 dB vs. 83 dB).

I have both tags in my MP3 files. They can co-exist. The best option for making compatible replay gain tags is to analyze the files with foobar2000 v.0.83 (the previous version) and after that update the file tags from MC's library (fb2k destroys the multi-line comment fields that MC uses, but MC does not alter the "TXXX" tags used in fb2k.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 10:29:31 am »

Or.. :)

Select what you want to transfer to your iriver, copy to a sep directory and mp3gain only those files leaving the rest of your stuff untouched.

mp3gain on demand so to speak.

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 01:39:38 am »

Thanks for your suggestions.

Hmmm. A bit of a nuisance. Replay gain is more important to me on my iRiver at the moment than it is when playing songs on my PC, so I think I'll use foobar. However sometime in the near future I'll be organising music for dance classes and I had intended to use my laptop with a remote. The fact that foobar overwrites the MC tags is also annoying.
Essentially I will want to have all my music available with gain for personal (iRiver) and public (laptop) use - and this overwriting business makes that pretty difficult to automate: and to sort out what has been tagged and if so how each time I want to copy files over is a major hassle. Perhaps having two copies of every file tagged different ways would be the easiest way to go, ridiculous as it at first appears.

Would be great of course if MC was updated or had a plugin to make it capable to read foobar tags - and perfect if there was the option to tag in other formats than the proprietary... dream on I suppose  :(

...while I'm on the subject of the music for dance classes with the remote, is it just me or is the theater view of MC way behind the rest of the app when it comes to user interface? The way it looks is IMO pretty amateur and the navigation leaves much to be desired too. My idea for the dance classes was to set everything up so that "anyone" could control the music with a remote - but frankly, I can't see that in MC the way it is at present. Nor can I see the theatre view as a user-friendly family interface for accessing media at home.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 02:32:22 am »

I'm told, meedio with the j.river plugin is the preferred way to go if you want better theater view.

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 03:26:13 am »

Yep - unfortunately, Meedio seems to be currently unavailable...
Pages: [1]   Go Up