INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two questions relating to Theater View  (Read 1498 times)

Two Wire

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
Two questions relating to Theater View
« on: September 19, 2006, 10:23:50 pm »

Ques. 1: I have created a seperate category for Old Time Radio on the organization tree, and want to have that as a menu item in theater view. I can get it to appear in the list but it isn't functional. I created the menu item through Tools/Options/Theater View/Items to Show. My only choices are Web page or program. Is there a way to direct this button to the folder where the files are located? 

Note: I don't want it to be a part of my Audio genre. I would like for it to be a seperate item as described above.

Ques. 2: How do I replace the folder images which appear at the beginning when you click a menu item from theater view? For example, in my tree structure, I have a category called Live Performances under the Audio view scheme. When I click Audio from the list in Theater View, a folder appears with the label "Live Performances" I would like to replace the folder image with another image.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Two questions relating to Theater View
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 11:03:46 pm »

Ques. 1: I have created a seperate category for Old Time Radio on the organization tree, and want to have that as a menu item in theater view. I can get it to appear in the list but it isn't functional. I created the menu item through Tools/Options/Theater View/Items to Show. My only choices are Web page or program. Is there a way to direct this button to the folder where the files are located? 

Unfortunately, there's no way (that I know of -- XML editor masters out there?) to get other "top level" View Schemes that you create in your Standard View of MC11 to show up in Theater View.  Only those under Audio, Video, and Images show up (and Playlists I guess).

It can also be difficult to get Theater View to cooperate if you directly call other non-fullscreen applications.  In fact, if you have "Keep Focus" checked in the Options pane, there's often no way to get out of Theater View if you've called another program (like Windows Explorer) without Ending Task on MC.  There is a way though...  Write a script that calls MC11.exe and exits out of Theater View first.  Like this:

Code: [Select]
<package>
   <job id="vbs">
      <script language="VBScript">
set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.Run "%SystemRoot%\System32\MC11.exe /MCC 22000,0", 1, True
WshShell.Run "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,/select,c:", 1, False
      </script>
   </job>
</package>

You can enter that text into a blank TXT file and save it as *.wsf (a Windows Scripting Host Script File) which will then be executable.  In place of "c:" in the above text, put a path to a folder or file inside the one you want opened (that command will open the Explorer window and select the item you specify, which means it will open the item's parent).  If you want, you could instead use:

Code: [Select]
WshShell.Run "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,/root,c:\my folder\this subfolder\", 1, False
Which would "root" the explorer window at the specified folder (try it and you'll see what I mean).  Either way, when you're done you'll have a script that exits out of Theater View and then opens up an Explorer window.  You can call this from a button in Theater View and it'll do what you want.

If you want MC to automagically go back into Theater View when you close the Explorer window, you'll need to invest in Girder (which can detect the Explorer window being closed and re-Theater View MC).

Another little option would be to use ",3,False" at the end of calling explorer.exe, which would open the Explorer window maximized.

Documentation for Windows Explorer's command line options can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q152457

I explain more about WSH scripting here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35576.msg243562#msg243562
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Two Wire

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 08:54:31 pm »

Thanks glynor. Looking at your script shows it will open the folder in an explorer window. This is not quite what I want. I would like to keep the look and feel of the rest of the MC package. I think I will just make that genre a part of Audio. However, you effort is much appreciated, and informative. If it were not for you and a few others on this forum, MC would be more difficult to master, and at 65, I'm not sure I have that much time to spend with the learning curve. So much to do and see, so little time.

Thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 09:06:47 pm »

I thought you might have wanted that (I do too, frankly) and that's why I replied first with:

Unfortunately, there's no way (that I know of -- XML editor masters out there?) to get other "top level" View Schemes that you create in your Standard View of MC11 to show up in Theater View.  Only those under Audio, Video, and Images show up (and Playlists I guess).

If only there were a way....

I too just randomly bury those "oddball" items under the closest of the "general" categories.  Luckily, you can easily copy (drag-drop in the Tree) View Schemes from the root into one of the Top-Level schemes, so you can have those show up in both places (rather than just one or the other).

Again though... Perhaps if you get in and muck about with the XML files that actually comprise the Theater View skins.  I've never gotten into it at all, so I know nothing, but perhaps?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up