INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC12 basics for new people here?  (Read 1461 times)

lOth

• Citizen of the Universe
MC12 basics for new people here?
« on: September 22, 2006, 08:35:22 pm »

alright, I'm in that batch of people who just saw the MC12 beta forum doors open to them. And I assume that you will get many stupid questions from people like me who have no idea what you guys have been up to in here.

If a lot of new people are going to show up in here, I think it might be a good idea to start a thread to let us know about MC12 basics.

I'll start it. I installed MC12 in parallel to MC11 and I thought that my library would be automatically converted and imported in 12. But first time I ran 12 it wasn't there and I couldn't find a way to import it. I did a little searching in here and didn't find anything. Did I miss something obvious or is it just not possible to import my MC11 library. I must have missed something....

Oh, and not to sound too whiny, I like the new look, I just met Otto and think he's a nice guy, and many things I didn't have time to play with yet look very promising, but it'll be hard for me to do anything if I have to lose all these views, playlists, ratings and playcounts.

Now I'm sure I just missed something...  :-\

lOth

Re: MC12 basics for new people here?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 09:35:07 pm »

here's the answer to my own question. I hope it'll help new MC12 beta users.

here's what I did to have both MC11 and 12 on my computer and import (and upgrade) my old library in MC12.

1) Install MC12, do not uninstall MC11, do not run the program at the end of the installation.
2) copy the content of \documents and settings\<username>\application data\J River\Media Center 11\Library to \documents and settings\<username>\application data\J River\Media Center 12\Library
3) Run MC12, you'll see a message letting you know your library is being backed up before upgrade
4) it might take some time (and some memory resources), but after a while, your old library is right there in MC12

Hope it will help others, a little dense like myself.

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 09:52:56 pm »

Thank you... I'm feeling a little lost here myself.
Sue

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 02:26:14 am »

I restore my newest MC11.1 library backup file in MC12 almost daily.

In MC11.1:  Library > Backup Library...

In MC12:  Library > Restore Library...

Effectively it is the same as copying the database files manually since a backup contains all library database files.

Thumbnails are a bit problematic. MC12 has a different system so it cannot use the same thumbnail data. Rebuilding them takes a long time.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 06:14:08 am »

Yes, "Restore Library" is the way to go. Just pick up your latest MC11 Library Backup.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 07:53:47 am »

You will find that the new default skin, "Noire", has only a play button, and no pause button.

You can hit the play button to pause, and you can stop by double clicking the play button.

This is specific to the skin, so if you don't like it, please try another skin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up