INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with setting jump-to and double-click  (Read 1742 times)

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
Problems with setting jump-to and double-click
« on: September 26, 2006, 02:23:02 pm »

Is it just me, or is anybody else having difficulties with the Tools > Options > General > Behavior settings? Could be that my native language isn't English, but I've managed so far with everything else. I know it's probably too late in the beta, but this area could really use a good clean-up.

I don't ask for much (ok, sometimes I do, but I believe I'm in line on this one), here's what I'd like, and not seems to be able to:
1. Double-clicking on a play-/smartlist, MC should play that list and go to PN.
2. Double-clicking on a single file, I'd like MC to keep the current list but play that file (would be nice if it could add it to the current PN, but not at the bottom, instead at the current position)
3. Selecting a bunch of files and choose play replaces PN (optionally as the above "request")

Perhaps it would be easier to set behavior per filetype. What I mean is not to mix play-/smartlists with actual files (I see those as virtual files if anything)

Does this argumentation make any sense? I think the context is that all these settings just confuse and no matter how you set them, the result is rarely what you really want.

Please! Advices, tips and suggestions wanted! :)

Marty3d

Re: Problems with setting jump-to and double-click
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 02:30:06 pm »

I just noticed while playing around a bit:
When connected using Remote Desktop, a possible explanation for not jumping to PN when double-clicking a playlist could be that the refresh isn't fast enough. At rare occasions, MC thinks I just click once on the playlist = not playing the files, but showing the playlist content. The rest of the times, no matter what I set in jump to PN, MC just ignore my wishes.

Marty3d

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 02:35:52 pm »

Ok, found my problem. MC doesn't jump to PN at all when double-clicking a play-/smartlist. Filing this as a bug. But it sure still would be nice if one could make this more user friendly :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 04:12:04 pm »

MC evaluates the jump to Playing Now regardless of how the play is initiated. 

For me, it's working as expected whether I double-click the tree or the list.

Anyone else?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 07:53:32 pm »

I normally have Jump to Playing now set to None, and no jump happens when I double click a playlist.  I set it to jump to PN and it did just that.  So I think Marty might try to be more speicific about what his settings are.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 11:14:36 pm »

MC evaluates the jump to Playing Now egardless of how the play is initiated. 

For me, it's working as expected whether I double-click the tree or the list.

Anyone else?

It's working the way I expect too.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Marty3d

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 02:27:18 am »

Ok, it COULD be that I'm generally a confused human being, but I'll try to fill in the gaps. As posted in the .77 thread:

When double-clicking on a play-/smartlist, whatever setting made in Options > General > Behavior > Jump on play, MC doesn't jump to Playing now. If set to Display View, it works fine.

Correction: If Playing Now is NOT VISIBLE in the tree (say you have scrolled down a bit) and double-click a playlist, THEN it jumps to playing now, otherwise it does not work.

I've tried setting "Jump on play" to all three options regarding PN, but get the result as quoted above. Could this be why I'm not getting it?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 07:00:12 am »

Ok, it COULD be that I'm generally a confused human being, but I'll try to fill in the gaps. As posted in the .77 thread:

I've tried setting "Jump on play" to all three options regarding PN, but get the result as quoted above. Could this be why I'm not getting it?

What you've described in the build thread does not happen for me.  I generally have my option set to Jump To Playing Now (if Has Display) but for this test I switched it to Jump to Playing Now (Always), because otherwise it would only jump over for video or image files.  Double clicking on a playlist or smartlist does jump properly to Playing Now for me, regardless of the scroll position of the Tree.  If I change the selection back to (If Has Display) then it works properly for video and image files, but correctly does not for Audio files.

Marty3d

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 02:17:52 am »

Strange... really strange. I've done some more testing and it's very inconsistent. Sometimes it jumps to PN as it should, sometimes it don't.

But glynor, you pointed out someting I didn't know before; I didn't know what (if has Display) meant. I thought it was "if Playing Now is visible..somewhere", which I believed was quite unnecessary, but if I understand you correctly it means "if the file you're playing is an image or video".

I'll keep on trying!
/Martin

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 07:50:27 am »

But glynor, you pointed out someting I didn't know before; I didn't know what (if has Display) meant. I thought it was "if Playing Now is visible..somewhere", which I believed was quite unnecessary, but if I understand you correctly it means "if the file you're playing is an image or video".

Right, basically.  It means (in my mind): Go to playing now if the only way you'll be able to "use" the file is to see it.  So, for Audio, it doesn't switch.  Sure, there are visualizations/track info/whatever, but you don't have to see them to hear the music...

Pages: [1]   Go Up