INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Songs from 11 to 12, most sensible way?  (Read 1295 times)

Jaqqe

• World Citizen
Songs from 11 to 12, most sensible way?
« on: September 27, 2006, 03:32:58 am »

I have 11.1 and am now interested in giving 12 a chance. How should I go about importing songs to MC12? The old way (import files) or is there some way to just copy the library info from 11.1 to 12? I know that the library itself needs to be in a separate place.

If I then make changes to the tags of my mp3's in MC12, might that cause any problem when using those files in 11.1 ?
Money... no, chocolate makes the world go round. Even here in Finland.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Songs from 11 to 12, most sensible way?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 03:47:20 am »

Restore your MC11 library. Copying is not enough as the library is internally updated to MC12 format.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 04:22:17 am »

MC12 updates the database files automatically if you just point it to a copy of the library folder. However, this is effectively the same as restoring an MC11.1 library backup.

If I then make changes to the tags of my mp3's in MC12, might that cause any problem when using those files in 11.1 ?

MC11.1 can use the files without problems (assuming you don't change the filenames or locations with MC12).

Tag changes would not automatically show up in MC11.1. You can do "Update Library (from tags)", but naturally it can update only those library fields that can be found in the file tags too.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 07:38:27 am »

MC12 updates the database files automatically if you just point it to a copy of the library folder. However, this is effectively the same as restoring an MC11.1 library backup.

Be careful though.  You can't "go back" so if you update the only copy of your library to v12, and then decide you don't like it and want to go back, you're SOL (I guess you could use a backup if you have a recent one, but it's best not to go there).  I made a duplicate of my existing library files (which were at something like c:\library_data\database\) at c:\library_data\database12\ and then pointed MC12 to use that library using the File --> Library --> Library Manager tool.

That was, actually, until I decided to just start using MC12 almost-full-time.  Now I have a \database11\ directory for those times when I need to load up MC11.1.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 07:44:28 am »

Good point, glynor.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Of course I meant a copied library folder, so that the MC11.1 database would remain unaltered.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Jaqqe

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 09:32:50 am »

Ok, thanks for the advice. I now have MC12 library in separate folder. Restored if from 11 backup.
Money... no, chocolate makes the world go round. Even here in Finland.
Pages: [1]   Go Up