INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This may not be a bug, but happens consistently. Files locked by MC?  (Read 1367 times)

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...

OK, this is what happens to me every evening... As i said in the subject, this may not be a bug... but is bugging me  ;)

Every night before going to sleep I start ripping a music DVD that makes a single avi file for each chapter (song) of the concert DVD, and let the process run overnight. I end up with 15 to 25 avi files the next day to be imported into MC. This is, step by step, what I do next:

1.- With MC already open, I browse to the provisional location of the avi files (via windows explorer), select the folder, right-click on it and perform a Media Center -> Import.
2.- The recently imported playlist opens and I'm presented with the bunch of avi files. It's time to tag them.
3.- Using the tag action window, I select all the files and set the Artist, Album, Year, Genre, Date and Rating.
4.- Using the grid of the "Recently Imported" playlist, I set the song title for each file.
5.- I search the internet (manually, because it's a DVD) for a nice cover art image and copy it to the clipboard. Selecting all the files and using the right-click Image -> Paste from Clipboard function I set the cover art for the whole bunch.
6.- I see the status bar slowly reporting "updating tags 20, 19, 18, 17, etc." (This is probably because I have  the image field set to be written to the files if possible).
7.- Almost always, the status bar report stops at "updating tags 3 (or 4) files left. And remains there.
This is the indication that something is going wrong.
8.- I perform a rename files from tags to move the files to their definitive location. Also, the status bar stops at the same point "updating tags 3 (or 4) files left.

If I navigate to the provisional folder via windows explorer I see that 3 (or 4) files have not been moved.

Workaround:
- Renaming "outside" MC (windows explorer) the 3 or 4 files as they are set in the library (with the definitive location data) but not with the path data. Every time I manually rename 1 file, the count of "files left to update" lowers in 1, even I have not yet phisically moved them to their definitive location (path data).
- Once all the files are renamed, the status bar shows "tags updated" (or something to that effect, I'm not at home now to check the exact words but you get the idea).
- Then I move the files (windows explorer) to their definitive location. A copy of the files is left in the provisional location and I cannot delete them until I close MC, which deletes them automatically.

Is this a bug?
Am I doing something wrong?

It seems as if MC is somehow "locking" some of the files. I haven't found a pattern but it's always a number of files between 2 and 4 for a bunch of 15/20 files.

Thanks for your time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up