INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended RF keyboards for HTPC  (Read 1623 times)

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Recommended RF keyboards for HTPC
« on: October 04, 2006, 04:16:12 pm »

What wireless keyboards do you guys recommend for a HTPC? I'd like RF if possible, but IR is o.k., and one with a thumb type pointer or ball w/ a similure layout like the Microsoft media center keyboards. Just going to be used for websurfing, and navigating JR media center mainly. TIA.
Thanks!

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Recommended RF keyboards for HTPC
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 05:24:17 pm »

I've got a Belkin mediaPro RF keyboard.  On top of meeting all of your requirements it also has an integrated programmable/learning IR remote control.  About $100 retail, I got mine at a MicroCenter for $80-

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=196807

The 'base' plugs into USB and is also the charging station for the keyboard.  I've had the keyboard out of the base for a week or more and things kept working.......

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Recommended RF keyboards for HTPC
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 10:42:24 pm »

It doesn't have the integrated pointing device but I have a Logitech RF keyboard (just a basic Multimedia model) for my HTPC.

It works quite well.  Good long battery life (not rechargable though) and excellent response times (good enough for a First Person Shooter as long as it has fairly fresh batteries).  If I had it to buy again, I'd probably look for one with a recharger (as long as it was small and easy to "dock" just by setting it down in my "keyboard's drawer").  If you can, look for one where you CAN throw some plain old AA's in there though, for when the rechargable isn't working anymore (I don't know if these exist, but they should).

Decent range on my Logitech, though it IS certainly best to get an Active USB extension cable and a hub and put the receiver(s) for any RF devices you have FAR, FAR away from the computer and TV area (closer to the couch is my suggestion).  StarTech makes some cheap ($15-$20) 16' Active USB2 extension cables that work great.  I'd hoped to avoid this expense, but it's really worth every penny in headaches (and batteries or charging time).

I wouldn't even look into IR keyboards.  There's plenty of good RF ones out there, and too much stuff in the living room that'll get in the way of IR (especially when you want to use it on the coffee table or your lap).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up