Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TAGS  (Read 1073 times)

gaillard

TAGS
« on: October 05, 2006, 10:14:53 pm »

does anyone know how to use custom tags like cover_artist?

when i add a tag they don't show up...

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: TAGS
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 11:45:24 pm »

does anyone know how to use custom tags like cover_artist?

when i add a tag they don't show up...

Did you add the tag to music files using MC or some other program?

What file format are you using?

----- seeing the custom tags in MC
If you added the custom tags using another program (a ripping program or a tag editor program, you need to do two things before you see the tag values in MC:

1. Add a field to your library for each custom field you defined.  (In Tools/OPtions/Library, click on Add to add fields.  Give the field a name that corresponds to the tag name in the file and click on the checkbox labeled "Store in File Tags...".

2. Add the field to the current view in the default audio view scheme or in multiple views schemes.  (Right click on a column heading above the list of files and select "Customize Current View".)

---- tag format complications
In the FLAC or OGG formats, tag names are stored directly in the file.  For MP3 files, a code is stored instead of the tag name (i.e. TCOM rather than Composer.)

The scheme used with MP3 files is called ID3Vn where n is 1-4 .  Lower numbered versions don't allow much flexibility in using extra tags or custom tags.

Sometimes a tag editing program stoes tag values using the ID3 Vn format in music files that normally use a different format such as Vorbis comments (as in FLAC files.)   In that case, the tag editor will show  different tag values than those shown in MC.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up