INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Minor DVD playback bugs  (Read 1141 times)

NickM

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
Minor DVD playback bugs
« on: October 06, 2006, 05:30:17 am »

Minor bugs on DVD playback

i)   Once the DVD starts playing, the display view with buttons & progress bar appears before hiding after a second or so.  This should not appear until the mouse is moved.   So the display should switch from Theatre menu straight to full screen.

ii)   After pressing stop, the “Closing DVD” confirmation appears at the bottom of the screen.  This is replaced by “Clo Sto DVD” which appears for about half a second.

iii)   On resuming a DVD, the first half second or so of the intro is played before jumping back to the resume point.  This should be skipped.

iv)   There is one further unnecessary level in the video title directory navigation before the menu options appears when pressing the enter key.

And lastly, as mentioned before; it makes greater sense to press the Stop key once in order to Resume playback from the stopping point and to press the Stop key twice to replay form the beginning ( as happens for WinDVD ).  There should be on screen confirmation of this in a message instead of "Closing DVD".  One press would be "Playback resumes from here" and second press "Playback will start from beginning"

NickM

Re: Minor DVD playback bugs
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 08:38:10 am »

i) Showing the display with the control buttons also happens with image playback.  Again, the switch should be directly from Theatre View to Full Screen.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 10:04:45 am »

i)   Once the DVD starts playing, the display view with buttons & progress bar appears before hiding after a second or so.  This should not appear until the mouse is moved.   So the display should switch from Theatre menu straight to full screen.

I disagree.  When I start a video playing I like to see the controls in the display view for a second or two.  It allows me to verify that I started the right video, check volume levels visually, and so on and so forth.

iii)   On resuming a DVD, the first half second or so of the intro is played before jumping back to the resume point.  This should be skipped.

I've mentioned this previously here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35781.msg244422#msg244422

And lastly, as mentioned before; it makes greater sense to press the Stop key once in order to Resume playback from the stopping point and to press the Stop key twice to replay form the beginning ( as happens for WinDVD ).  There should be on screen confirmation of this in a message instead of "Closing DVD".  One press would be "Playback resumes from here" and second press "Playback will start from beginning"

I'd prefer it just ask you when you start playback, similar to how many DVD player applications work (at least offer that as an option).  I don't play DVDs enough to remember which (single click or double click) does which...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

NickM

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 07:22:18 am »

I disagree. When I start a video playing I like to see the controls in the display view for a second or two. It allows me to verify that I started the right video, check volume levels visually, and so on and so forth.

Well, I disagree too (!) In a professional sort of way...  I understand your checking concepts, but I think that we should distinguish between the look and feel of a keyboard & mouse with a PC and an HTPC remote control environment.

So, I would (humbly) suggest, that the confirmation grey dialog boxes in the bottom of the screen be configured to confirm that which you suggest ( when using a remote control ) and the player view screen ( as is ) when using a mouse.

The end goal being that a pure HTPC should only play music, images & video and the only other thing visible in-between is the theatre menu.
Pages: [1]   Go Up