INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Conversion?  (Read 1992 times)

Zoom

• Recent member
Video Conversion?
« on: October 07, 2006, 06:18:12 pm »

Is there any video conversion in MC 12?  With the new personal video players and in my line of work (webdesigner/historian), this would be great...

If there is some kind of video conversion feature how can I get to it?  I would definatley upgrade.

Thanks,

-Zoom

darichman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Video Conversion?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 02:08:50 am »

No video conversion unfortunately!

While this would undoubtedly make MC truly unbeatable, I think it's something that would take a while to develop and implement.

Maybe MC13? I'm sure JRiver would jump in if they had any definite plans on video conversion/tools...

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 11:17:47 am »

What do you want exactly? DVD Movie conversion or on-the-fly-conversion of video material published on the Internet?

In case 1 it takes such a long time to convert videos that you better do it separately. I convert all my DVD movies to divx (you could use any other format) and import the converted movie to MC12. The big advantage is: Size is reduced from 4-5GB to about 1.5GB, number of files is reduced to 2 or 3: the movie file (.avi), maybe a cover art file and maybe a separate audio track (if desired).

I use DVD Decrypter and RipIt4Me to rip the DVD files first to disk, then I use the freeware AutoGK for the video conversion with the Divx Decoder. RipIt4Me supersedes DVD Decrypter to decrypt newer DVD's as DVD Decrypter has not been updated for a long time, eg. RipIt4Me decrypts the DVD files and hands the files over to DVD Decrypter to finish the job.

In case 2 I would say that MC supports so many video formats that you must ask yourself what and why do you want to convert?

And if you want to convert TV recordings right away to mpg2, avi, divx you can easily do it. It is already there. For divx you may have to create a new entry.

Zoom

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 02:46:11 pm »

Well, I am talking more about the first...

I would like to see an easy interface for "ripping DVDs" into .mpg, Divx, wmv, .mov... etc...  Then I would like to see .mpg, divx, wmv, .mov, able to be "burnt" back to DVD... I am not sure if that is possible with MC?

Its basically asking if it is possible to put those 3 freeware/shareware utilities into MC?

Thanks for helping clear up the confusion...

-Zoom

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 06:17:29 pm »

I'd love this too... but can't see J River implementing DVD decryption.

They just might get in trouble :)

Maybe conversion of already ripped DVD files on the hard drive?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 06:21:43 pm »

Maybe.  We're thinking about it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 06:48:46 pm »

If so, there are three functions I'd really like to see:

1) A system extremely similar to AutoGK, encoding to XviD (and to DivX for those so enclined).

2) A system built with similar functionality to MeGUI (for encoding to x264 in OGM, MKV, and MP4 containers), but designed much more similarly to AutoGK.  Basically, include x264 into the AutoGK-like conversion utility.  Like MeGUI, it would really need to be able to call the command-line and free NeroAACEnc application, as x264 MP4 with AAC audio is where it's at.  This would be a dream (and would also solve those occasional complaints about MC handling encoding to AAC).

3) A system to take basically any supported video type and convert out to DVD/VCD compliant MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 (including muxed and de-muxed files).  It'd be fine with me if this were just a front-end to a commercially available MPEG-2 encoder (like TMPGenc or something), or if you had to buy the MPEG-2 codec function separately for a few bucks.  Just since I know this costs a pile of money to license....

I'd also be nice to have the MPEG-2 portion of this have "presets" to recode files to fit standard media sizes (1/4 DVD5, 1/3 DVD5, 1/2 DVD5, DVD5, DVD9, and manual for example), and to automatically strip out menus and whatnot and only recode the main video files (similar to DVD Shrink).

If this were implemented, and especially if you were able to set them all up, queue, and "schedule" the encodes for later... It'd just be a dream come true.  I think if you did it well, you could see some increased popularity also!

I'm not very interested in conversion to many other file formats (Real, WMV, MOV, etc), though as many different types as you can legally convert from into the above mentioned formats would be awesome!

PS.  I'm sure you wouldn't, so that you don't get sued out of existance, but I'd leave the DVD extraction to RipIt4Me and DVD Decrypter.  They work well so you don't have to.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 09:48:56 pm »

I'm actually getting excited :)

Have used Gordian Knot for years, but to combine this functionality with MC's powerful library tools & database would leave J River with the app to beat!

I would pay good money for this...

Zoom

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 02:08:41 am »

Aye, it would definitely add tons more value to this already great software.  Please let us know on how serious you are in considering this (so I can get my hopes up, or just suppress them  ;D)

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 04:26:31 am »

Personally I can handle all that stuff outside of MC without problem. Once a video is converted, I simply move it to the video folder where MC12's Otto detects it and imports it.

What I need more urgently is a proper handling of movie cover art and lookup to some movie database to get all the move infos.

rebootjac

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 08:57:25 pm »

What I need more urgently is a proper handling of movie cover art and lookup to some movie database to get all the move infos.

I second this. Take a gander at what media portal does and you will see that they have a imdb lookup service when you are configuring it. What they do, is you pick the files that you want coverart for, then you type in the movie name in the movie database "title" field and hit "lookup". This fetches not only the artwork but plot, tagline, director, description, year, rating, etc. It's pretty slick but I think you are only limited to 25 database grabs from imdb.

For more info what IMDB offers in terms of access: http://www.imdb.com/interfaces

rjm

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 09:06:00 pm »

Don't think this is required in MC. Lots of other tools do the job.

Check out free program "Media Coder". Converts anything to anything.

http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/

Pages: [1]   Go Up