INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Touch Screen User Interface for MC  (Read 3033 times)

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
Touch Screen User Interface for MC
« on: October 08, 2006, 04:43:58 am »

I am looking for a simple, wife-friendly, user interface for MC. I have been experimenting with NetRemote for some time and have a Dell handheld working as a remote control but it is far too small and tricky to use for the average person.

Ideally, I would like to have MC controlled through an easy interface on a touch screen. Is there anything like a more or less complete product out there, be it Windows or Mac?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Touch Screen User Interface for MC
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 07:38:15 am »

The FAQ has a couple of links.

musiclobby by cinemaronline.com

and

russound plugin by hslopc (requires special hardware)

Maybe the netremote people could help if you tell them what you want.  They have an excellent forum at promixis.com.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 05:03:52 pm »

Sapnho, I use a 19" touch screen monitor in the living room for "wife duties", with a variation of the Moe 2 setup for NetRemote. Works very nicely. I think that would be your best chance, since as you very well know NR is 100 % configurable.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 05:16:47 pm »

There are a few older computers out there than can be had (from ebay) with an integrated touch screen.

How about doing something with a Pronto or a SimPad and then using netremote/girder to comm with the MC machine?

www.remotecentral.com has loads of people doing stuff like that as well as avforums

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 10:02:47 am »

Yeah, Moe 2 looks much like I am looking for. The only thing is that since I started a new job, I don't have much time anymore for the endless tweaking necessary, so I was looking more for a complete product. Also I haven't followed the latest developments at NR anymore, so I basically need to start right from the beginning... Maybe the winter time will offer a bit more time!  ;) Thanks!

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 03:18:38 am »

I'm planning on getting a touch screen monitor installed in my lounge so I'll be starting off by updating the very popular and simple Opus NR CCF to a 1024 x 768 version.  Danward79 has done a great job with the graphics in his 1024 x 768 weather CCF so I'll probably use those.  Would that help?  I expect it will take me a month or so to finish it.
JLee

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 10:59:22 am »

That would be great, risingdamp!

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 03:25:17 am »

Just to let you know I got started on this project and it's coming along very nicely.  I should have something available for download within a couple of weeks.  I'll post some pictures soon.
JLee

Uwe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 04:06:45 am »

risingdamp, nice to hear that you are busy with that. I'm using my touch-screen with MC since a few years. I'm very commited to this hardware user-interface although i'm missing the right software user Interface  ;)

Uwe

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 04:19:00 am »

One caveat - you'll need the latest version of NR to be able to run it properly but it's well worth the $$$ in my opinion.  If you don't already have NR my advice would be to wait until I've finished the UI and then try it out with the 30 day trial.

The functions in the UI will be:

- Tree view of your MC library
- Now playing list
- Playlist list (point at the location in MC of your favourite playlists)
- Search function with pop up keypad and large buttons (search for artist or track or album)
- Large cover art and currently playing track details
- Large buttons for play & volume controls
- Buttons to instantly jump to (and play if necessary) all tracks or albums by the currently playing artist
- Lucky dip button to select at random one of a pre-determined list of your favourite playlists or smartlists (a really great way to listen to music in my experience - just switch on, press lucky dip and listen to what comes up)
- Repeat last selection button (if you liked the smartlist chosen by the lucky dip but want a different set of songs just press repeat to get the smartlist refreshed and instantly played)

That's it.
JLee

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
JLee

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 01:25:48 pm »

Thanks Jlee. Will give it a try as soon as I have a few hours free. Good stuff you used Opus so there is not need for Girder. Will report back.  ;)

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 07:48:02 am »

Any feedback Sapno?
JLee

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 12:24:09 pm »

Not yet Jlee, the pre-Xmas season is very very busy in my company, so it will be after Christmas but I remain very curious.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up