INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 60GB iPod SLOOOWWW Response When Near Full  (Read 1975 times)

Jakester

• World Citizen
60GB iPod SLOOOWWW Response When Near Full
« on: October 08, 2006, 04:54:26 pm »

My 60GB iPod never did have immediate response, but it was reasonable when it only had around 10GB worth of mp3s on it.  Now it is almost full - 4.5GB left - and it is way too slow!  It can take up to 10s or so to start playing a song, and track advance is even worse.  It's almost unusable.  And sometimes after acting like it's trying to start playing a song it will just skip to the next one, and the 5-10 second wait starts again.

Anyone else experience this?  I only use MC to sync my library (.ape converted to .mp3 on the fly) to the iPod.

What about RockBox ... does it allow the hard drive to always stay spun up (the way I just the iPod I always have access to a charger)?  Is it a lot more responsive than the Apple load?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: 60GB iPod SLOOOWWW Response When Near Full
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 04:59:09 pm »

Can you copy your system info from MC Help and paste it here?

Did you try the latest build of MC?

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 06:57:41 pm »

My 60GB iPod never did have immediate response, but it was reasonable when it only had around 10GB worth of mp3s on it.  Now it is almost full - 4.5GB left - and it is way too slow!  It can take up to 10s or so to start playing a song, and track advance is even worse.  It's almost unusable.  And sometimes after acting like it's trying to start playing a song it will just skip to the next one, and the 5-10 second wait starts again.

Anyone else experience this?  I only use MC to sync my library (.ape converted to .mp3 on the fly) to the iPod.

What about RockBox ... does it allow the hard drive to always stay spun up (the way I just the iPod I always have access to a charger)?  Is it a lot more responsive than the Apple load?

I only work with MP3 (not .ape converted to MP3) - but I never have the problem you describe.  I have 2 iPods, both 60gb, both with about 300mb free.  They are still fast. 

Everything is current - iPod v1.2, MC v12.0.87

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 10:16:30 pm »

Hi JimH -

My iPod is running version 1.1.2, and I'm running MC 11.1.194

I know your next comment will be to upgrade to the latest MC, and I understand why - you can't afford to go back and debug possible problems in older versions.  But it takes over 40 HOURS to sync a 60GB iPod when converting from .ape to .mp3 in realtime.

A couple of months ago I was loosing all data on my iPod after syncing with MC.  The solution at the time was to download the latest MC, which fixed that problem (mostly - there were still stability issues).  And now I imagine I'm supposed to do it again as the first step in fixing this problem.

Please, please, please add the capability for MC to maintain multiple copies of the same library in different formats, automatically keeping all of them in sync when tag changes, album art, lyrics, or any other modification is made.  This has been discussed many times in many different threads, and I can not imagine a more powerful addition to MC.

So for what it's worth my current setup is given below.  If I have to upgrade to the latest MC to get any more help then O.K., I'll deal with the immensely long time it takes to reload the iPod yet again.  But it really is painful because the computer is essentially tied up completely during that time (sorry, I love MC, but it just isn't stable enough to multi-task while performing thiis action on my P4 2.8GHz 800MHz FSB machine).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Media Center Registered 11.1.194 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2777 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 324 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2800 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2800 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2800 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive F: _NEC    DVD_RW ND-3520A   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G:   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   chord.wav

Burning /  Drive F: _NEC     DVD_RW ND-3520A    Addr: 3:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: No /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 08:22:53 am »

I noticed the same thing with my iPod after I added a lot files to it.  With a few files it was fast, once I had added several thousand there were noticable lags when moving from screen to screen.  Then with one of the more recent builds (not sure exactly which one) the problem magically went away after a sync.  Please do update to the latest (.200) version, run a sync (not a full re-load) and see if that helps.

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 04:17:00 pm »

Hi BartMan01, I tried something just a bit less.  I modified the ratings on a few songs to give MC something to add to the iPod.  I ran a sync (still using 11.1.194) and when it was done I used the WinXP "Safely Remove Hardware" option instead of the disconnect handheld option within MC.  That seemed to help a lot!  Still not speedy, but close to what it was when only a couple thousand songs were on it.

I still wish JRiver would add the ability to maintain multiple copies of a library in different formats!  I sure expected that to be part of a new major release, but V12 doesn't appear to have it.   :(   ?   :-\   :'(

WHOOPS!  I spoke too soon!  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36327.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up