INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seperate display choice for "AW" and "Playing Now" Displays.  (Read 5308 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Seperate display choice for "AW" and "Playing Now" Displays.
« on: October 08, 2006, 07:34:29 pm »

I think it would make sense (at least for people with single monitors) for the AW Display to have a SEPERATE choice for it's display.  The AW currently displays the same thing as the "Playing Now" screen, and since the "Track Info" screens never fit in the lower left AW Display window, I end up seeing a little corner of the Track Info screen.  It would fix this issue if I could tell the AW Display to ALWAYS show album art, even when the Playing Now screen is set to show Track Info (which is what I prefer for the PN screen.)  This way, I'd always see the album art in the lower left AW Display, and I wouldn't have to switch the display back and forth every time I changed between Playing Now and the normal Pane view.

I'm curious what others think of this.

Thanks,

Larry

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
Re: Seperate display choice for "AW" and "Playing Now" Displays.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 11:13:15 pm »

I think that the action window should show what playing now shows. If not then it isnt really the playing now display, and all kinds of logic issues arise.

I did use to like the way you could scroll through visualisations with a forward back arrows though. Perhaps a feature where you could specify some favorites (I always use just one track info window, cover art, and the photo slideshow displays. So just 3 different displays) and then use left/right arrows (even in the action window display if you hover over it) to access scroll through your favorite display options.

That way, you could have it show cover art by defualt every time, and then just scroll to your track info display in a single click if you wanted to see it.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 11:51:02 pm »

I think that the action window should show what playing now shows. If not then it isnt really the playing now display, and all kinds of logic issues arise.

I don't understand what you're saying.  You say "then it isn't really the playing now display."  Exactly -- it ISN'T the playing now display -- it's the "AW" Display.  Why should it mimic exactly what the PN display shows?  To me, this makes no sense since the sizes of these two windows are typically TOTALLY different.  The PN display is typically a LOT bigger than the AW "display" window, and as such has a different use.  The AW display is is generally a very small window in the lower left hand corner of the screen, and cannot come close to fitting a track info screen.  The PN display, on the other hand, is designed to be a much larger display.

Why do you consider it an advantage to have these two screens always show the same thing?  Doesn't it make more sense to be able to independantly select what you want to see on these two screens?  I honestly don't understand what logic issues you fear would arise from this.  We have two different windows that are different sizes and serve different purposes.  To me, what's illogical is to assume that we want the same display assigned to both windows.

That way, you could have it show cover art by defualt every time, and then just scroll to your track info display in a single click if you wanted to see it.

But you'd still have to keep switching the display back and forth.  What I'm proposing would allow you to assign the best display for EACH window.

Thanks for your feedback,

Larry

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 12:05:13 am »

Sorry, Larry, I got to agree with Park on this one.  I think it'd add too much unnecessary complexity to the system to have the displays "separate" as you describe.  This was discussed at some length very early in the Beta process (I'm sure you can look back for some extensive posting on the topic).

I like how when I'm watching a show now, and I leave Playing Now (or Display view) I can browse around in MC looking at other assets and "seamlessly" keep watching my running video in the little Display AW.  It's very similar to DirecTV (or TiVO) and browsing through the "Program Guide" while still watching the small preview of the current channel.  This just happens automatically, and I don't have to worry about which display is set to what or anything.  It's automatic and it never fails (I can count on them to always be the same so I don't miss anything).

Especially considering that if you really want to, you can get functionality similar to what you want using different Zones.  You can easily have the Playing Now showing one display, and a Detached Display showing the Visualizer (or Cover Art or whatever) Since Detached Displays are "always on top" so you can put it wherever you want, even in a similar size and position to the Display AW.  If you keep the Detached Display's zone synced to the primary zone, it should allow what you're looking for (or a close approximation anyhow), and it'll actually let you resize it to whatever size you want (or fullscreen it separately on a separate monitor if you have one).

It's not identical to your idea, and it's not super-simple... But, in the end, I think what you're looking for is a "more advanced use" so having to jump through an extra hoop or two for flexibility and ease-of-use for the benefit of more simple use cases is not unreasonable.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 03:33:06 am »

I'm not sure we're all on the same page here.  The bottom line is that in my personal use, the way the current AW Display window works is really rather silly.  I like to set the "Playing Now" window to a Track Info screen, which means that every time I play a song, a TOTALLY USELESS display pops up in the AW.  Depending on which Track Info display I'm using, I either see a small portion of the Cover Art, or the edge of some graphics that tell me absolutely nothing.  It's simply useless, and I'm unclear why it would a disadvantage to offer a seperate setting for these windows which, once again, are typically VERY different sizes.

I can't use a detached display since I'm only using a single monitor, and there is little enough room as it is on the desktop, so there is certainly not enough room to included another window.

Regarding the "complexity," I'm not clear why what I'm saying would necessarily be a problem in this regard (at least it's not "intuitive" that it would be.)  What would be so complex about having each display something different (expecially since they don't display at the same time), and what "logic" problems would there be?  To me, what REALLY illogical is having the AW display something that doesn't fit in the window, and is therefore useless.

That said, if it is too complex to have ALL choices for both windows, how about limiting the AW Dispaly window choices to two possibilties; the PN selection or "Cover Art"?  This way, those of us who use a small AW (I'm sure I'm not the only one) could ensure that something USEFUL always displays in the AW, rather than having the space wasted with a cut off, unreadable portion of a track info screen.  In the current setup, this is what happens on my system.

I can understand how to make it work logically with a detached window on a multi-monitor setup, but on a single monitor, it just doesn't make sense to me to have windows of such totally different sizes display the same thing, and to have the AW Display window cut off most of the Track Info display.

I can't help wondering if there is a misunderstanding here regarding what I'm saying.

Thanks,

Larry

gappie

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 04:48:32 am »

to me mr lalittle it is clear what you say. and i agree with you.
i made my own trackinfo display and by conincidence in mc12, it shows the whole cover in the small AW display but sometimes with the top of some letters from the info that is underneath it. seeing only the cover art would make more sence to me.

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 07:14:16 am »

I somehow agree with Larry here. When playing an audio file, I'd like to see the cover art, since my Track Info template is too large to fit in the small window. However, when playing a video, I like to see the video playing in the small window, as Glynor said.

Once you detach the window, you could easily switch between display modes.

Perhaps a user selectable choice?, such as...

Action Window Display Setting Modes:

Audio - > Show Cover Art
               Show Playing Now Window

Video - > Show Playing Now Window

Image - > Show Thumbnail
                 Show Playing Now Window

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 07:24:45 am »

I somehow agree with Larry here. When playing an audio file, I'd like to see the cover art, since my Track Info template is too large to fit in the small window. However, when playing a video, I like to see the video playing in the small window, as Glynor said.

Once you detach the window, you could easily switch between display modes.

Perhaps a user selectable choice?, such as...

Action Window Display Setting Modes:

Audio - > Show Cover Art
               Show Playing Now Window

Video - > Show Playing Now Window

Image - > Show Thumbnail
                 Show Playing Now Window

I think this is an EXCELLENT idea.  This would make the AW "Display" window a useful window for people that prefer to leave their Playing Now window set to a Track Info screen, yet it would not take anything away from the way it currently works.  I have no idea how difficult Deivit's suggestion would be to implement, but if it was possible to do this, it would prevent the AW Display window from being effectively "wasted" when using a Track Info display for the Playing Now screen.

Thanks for the feedback,

Larry

dcwebman

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 07:59:09 am »

Larry, like glynor said, this was brought up a couple months ago and I was basically shot down that it would not be changed. I have the same predicament that you have. The trackinfo is pretty much useless in the small AW Display. In some regards, why even display it? But since it is, it should at least provide some use. It sounded from glynor's post that the video is resized to display correctly in the small Display window. Obviously trackinfo's are not so there is an inconsistency there.
Jeff

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 09:02:09 am »

I remember that it was discussed, but I don't remember it being completely shot down, and my searches didn't come up with any clear conclusions on the issue.  Was it JR that said it would not be changed?  If this is important to people, they should speak up since nothing is set in stone.

I just figured that this was a relatively important issue since, as you noted, the AW Display window, which automatically pops up, provides NO use in certain circumstances, and actually looks downright silly when you have the Playing Now screen set to use a Track Info display.  I would think that this would lead JR to want to change it so it at LEAST didn't look silly (with a cut off, nonsensical image) in these circumstances.

I still really like Deivit's suggestion, and am curious what JR's reaction will be to this.

Thanks again for the feedback here,

Larry

enervation

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 09:49:37 am »

Just adding my support for what is proposed - my trackinfo template takes up the entire screen and is useless in the AW.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 10:41:46 am »

A seperate choice for each is the way to go.  I think the current options are fine, just don't link the display window and the playing now view.

dcwebman

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 01:23:12 pm »

I think this is one of the first topics that discussed it.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35264.msg240367#msg240367

I don't see a response for sure from J River but I could swear they said something like that's the way it is.
Jeff

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 07:45:12 pm »

I don't see a response for sure from J River but I could swear they said something like that's the way it is.

dcwebman -- I'm basically just revisiting the exact same thing you were asking for back then.  I don't remember JR saying that it wouldn't happen -- it seems like it just got dropped (although I may have just missed the post you're thinking of.)

That aside, even if JR did say this, if people speak up about it, JR could always change their minds.  That's what this forum is for.

Frankly, I don't think they really want it to behave the way it currently does.  Why would anyone want a nonsensical window to automatically pop up when playing a song?  This is exactly what happens when I have my Playing Now window set to a Track Info screen.

Larry

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 08:33:23 pm »

I don't think they really want it to behave the way it currently does.  Why would anyone want a nonsensical window to automatically pop up when playing a song? 

When it was originally designed, it was not tested with track info.  They would not have done this on purpose.

micahmj11

• Junior Woodchuck
  • This is war peacock. Casualties are inevitable.
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 01:55:35 am »

I wanted to add my support to larry's position.  The fact that the AW cannot properly display the track info screen has been my single biggest pet peeve of MC12.  I also think Deivit's suggestion would fix the problem and hope that JR considers implementing it.

dcwebman

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 08:00:54 am »

I hope we're successful for a change in bringing this up again as it just looks darn ugly right now.  ;)
Jeff

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2006, 09:27:08 pm »

I hope we're successful for a change in bringing this up again as it just looks darn ugly right now.  ;)

I agree.  It works fine with cover art, but track info is really bad. :(

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2006, 10:17:21 pm »

Thanks for supporting this request.  I like the idea of the AW "Display" window popping up when playing a song, but it's useless when it just shows a small corner of the Track Info display.

Larry

micahmj11

• Junior Woodchuck
  • This is war peacock. Casualties are inevitable.
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2006, 11:31:12 pm »

At the very least, MC should check to make sure that the "Playing Now" is not displaying a track info before it minimizes to AW.  If it is, AW should automatically show album art.  Anything else in the playing now should minimize on its own the way it is set to do it now.  I really hope this change is implemented.  It seems like a minor tweak.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2006, 11:47:26 pm »

At the very least, MC should check to make sure that the "Playing Now" is not displaying a track info before it minimizing to AW.  If it is, it should automatically show album art.  Anything else in the playing now should minimize on its own the way it is set to do it now.  I really hope this change is implimented.  It seems like a minor tweak.

That would be a reasonable solution. ;D

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2006, 11:53:33 pm »

That would be a reasonable solution. ;D

I agree.  I believe that this would solve the problem.

Larry

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2006, 01:50:46 am »

I agree.  I believe that this would solve the problem.

As do I, if the change was limited to that.  Since the Track Info display type doesn't work in the AW anyway (and even if it did it'd be too small to use effectively) a good trade-off would be to show the album art in the AW when that's selected.

Good idea guys!  Simple and seamless.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

dcwebman

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2006, 07:53:58 am »

I think that's all any of us using track info's wanted anyway. Just show the cover art in the AW.
Jeff

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2006, 06:08:21 pm »

As do I, if the change was limited to that.  Since the Track Info display type doesn't work in the AW anyway (and even if it did it'd be too small to use effectively) a good trade-off would be to show the album art in the AW when that's selected.

Good idea guys!  Simple and seamless.

Any feedback from JRiver?  his would make it look a lot cleaner.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 01:28:56 pm »

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2006, 03:25:02 pm »

They seemed to "imply" in another thread that they would be addressing this at some point, but nothing specific was said.  My gut feeling is that this is on the list since it really is silly to have "track info" displayed in the small AW "Display" window where it clearly doesn't fit.

Larry

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2006, 09:14:13 pm »

They seemed to "imply" in another thread that they would be addressing this at some point, but nothing specific was said.  My gut feeling is that this is on the list since it really is silly to have "track info" displayed in the small AW "Display" window where it clearly doesn't fit.

Larry

Larry,

It's just silly. Maybe most people are not using Track Info - in which case they don't see the issue.

From a practical standpoint it is not holding me back.  It's just annoying.

Randy

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2006, 11:38:26 pm »

It's just silly.

I've said the same thing about this issue many times.

From a practical standpoint it is not holding me back.  It's just annoying.

I totally agree.

Larry

Amadan

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mine. Mine. Mine.
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2006, 02:26:24 am »

Hi,

i just upgraded to MC12 and the first thing i noticed was the ugly AW display when using track info (which is my default setting). Therefore i absolutely agree with Larry and i support the suggestions that were made here (using cover art for AW etc.).

After all, this annoying AW display is the reason for my first posting to this forum!  :)

IMHO a lot of people use track info and i hope JRiver will take the suggestions into consideration!

Apart from that, MC12 rulez!

gappie

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2006, 09:16:37 am »

and when jriver takes the suggestion in consideration, i hope it will be the same for theater view.  :P

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2006, 05:10:57 pm »

and when jriver takes the suggestion in consideration, i hope it will be the same for theater view.  :P

YES!  I've posted about similar issues with the Theater View "display" window in the past as well.

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2006, 05:27:25 pm »

From the 12.0.104 notes:

13. Changed: Action Window "Display" has independent visualization selection from Standard View. (much like Mini View already works)

This solves the problem with the AW "Display" window (Thanks JR!)

The Theater View "Display" window, however, still suffers from the original problem -- i.e. when in the regular track view in Theater View, the lower left corner display still shows a small corner of the "track info" display.  Would it be possible to have the Theater View "Display" corner show the same thing as the TW "Display" view, or even just always show cover art?

Thanks,

Larry

Amadan

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mine. Mine. Mine.
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2006, 03:56:33 am »

From the 12.0.104 notes:

This solves the problem with the AW "Display" window (Thanks JR!)

i agree, that's great, thanks!

Just one small thing: when switching between Playing Now and Playliststs the display window seems to loose its settings: i select "3D visualization - particle generator" for the display window in playlistst  and "track info" for Playing Now. After switching from Playlists to Playing now and back, the display windows (sometimes!) shows "3D Picture terrain".

Is this by design or a bug?

Thx,
Stefan
Pages: [1]   Go Up