INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Data sync - why?  (Read 931 times)

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
Data sync - why?
« on: October 09, 2006, 07:31:03 pm »

I got one of those USB data thingys (I hope I'm not talking over anyone's head) ;).
Media Center recognizes it as a hard drive. That's very good and what I expected.
But I also have the option of "Sync"ing it. What for? Why not? What does it do? What advantage would it be?
Pardon my igernaance.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

rebootjac

• Recent member
Re: Data sync - why?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 08:19:40 pm »

because MC doesn't know the difference between usb devices that are explicitly used for storing data or music. Since data could be music.. i.e. mp3 files, you could theoretically use your "usb data thingy" (I have one too.. I know what you are talking about) to transfer new music to it all of the time.  You could even store lower bitrate versions of your music to cram more stuff on it.

Also, some usb flash drives can be converted to an mp3 player if you get an additional attachment. It depends on the model.

My computer still thinks my camera is a hard drive when I use my usb trasfer cable so sometimes MC tries to make that a synchable usb device too.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Data sync - why?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 07:42:00 am »

I have synched an USB memory stick with MC. I used the function for synching a playlist of APE files so that MC copied the files and converted them on the fly to MP3. I used the stick to play the files elsewhere on another PC.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up