INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cable TV/Wireless Base Station?  (Read 2321 times)

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Cable TV/Wireless Base Station?
« on: October 10, 2006, 01:45:10 pm »

I'm sorry if this question is pathetically basic, but I've been stranded on a desert island for the last 20 years.

I like the idea of hooking up a CATV reciever to my notebook, but then the notebook can't move around, so if i can't move around i might as well watch TV on a bigger screen.  So:

Is there any kind of wireless base station I can hook a CATV antenna cable into, and hook a nubbin on my notebook, and then watch CATV with all the channels, but without the stupid wire dragging around?  I realize there's nubbins out to get OATV, and nubbins you can hook CATV into.  But what about CATV over the air?  Is there a nubbin for that?

jgreen

Re: Cable TV/Wireless Base Station?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 02:42:38 pm »

Alright, let me try and rephrase this.  Is there any sort of retransmit box that I can hook cable TV into, which will then send an RF signal to a PCMCIA or USB card, similar to those that currently recieve regular on-air TV signals?  You can think of it like a Sonos for video.  Is this kind of product out there?  Is anyone out there?

jgreen

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 05:56:02 pm »

I mean something like the "Monsoon Media HAVA HD", or so I've been told.  Anyone heard of this, or tried it, or anything like it?

As I understand it, it has both a PC card and a base station.  You can use it as you would other TV cards (apparently) or you can recieve transcoded CATV signals if the base station is hooked to cable.  Someone braver than me want to give this a try?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 05:59:53 pm »

Is anyone out there?
It depends on your definition for "anyone".

Think of this as a big aquarium and things happen but maybe not what you expect.

Slingmedia's Slingbox.

LocationFree TV from Sony.

Am I getting warm?  Forget that.  It's Minnesota.  December.  We start driving on the ice in a couple of weeks.  Maybe sooner.

jgreen

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 06:20:40 pm »

Ice driving.  Ice fishing.  Ice sailing. 

While I admire you Minnepoppers for making the best of what God gave you (a heck of a lot of ice), I still can't help thinking of that Frenchman who ground up a bicycle and ate it.  Wouldn't you rather move to California?  Ted Waite did.  You guys could go fishing and sailing in the ocean (it's filled with liquid water), and drive around in a honkin' big powerboat. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 06:27:03 pm »

I have been to California.
Pages: [1]   Go Up