INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syncing problem  (Read 1407 times)

adamsp70

• World Citizen
  • Unwired for sound...
Syncing problem
« on: October 04, 2006, 01:51:53 am »

Hi - have a problem that's driving me mad, hope you can help.

I sync to an external drive (converting to 128kbps MP3 files) and the sync is made up of 5 smartlists.

If I select only 1 smartlist and click "sync" then everything works perfectly. All MP3s and a single M3U playlist appear on the external drive.

If I then select a different smartlist and click "sync", i get both sets of MP3s on the drive (great) but only the 2nd playlist, the 1st one has disappeared!

If I then clear the drive and try to sync all 5 smartlists at once, 12 hours later it has synced all the MP3s, but there are no playlists and the sync window is showing "99% complete, 1 minute to go" and will stay there for eternity.

I'm sure all this used to work ok, so is it a bug that's crept into a recent build?

Any help gratefully received.....

adamsp70

• World Citizen
  • Unwired for sound...
Re: Syncing problem
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 03:59:26 am »

More investigation.....

I took each of my 5 smartlists down to 5 tracks each (they were 750 before) and everything worked perfectly.

So then I tried 50, then 100, then 200 - everything still perfect. Took it up to 300 each (so 1500 in total) and it failed in the same way, hanging on 99% finished with no playlists transferred.

My playlists are based around the 'mix' functionality.

Please help!

adamsp70

• World Citizen
  • Unwired for sound...
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 12:16:59 pm »

OK, this is odd....

If i click on each of my smartlists then it shows 300 in each (as it should). However if I click the group containing them it shows 1457 or 1458 or 1459 (after refreshing) instead of 1500.

How can this be? And is it why the sycing problem is occurring?

All my smartlists are of the form:

~sort=[random] ~mix=300,2,{[Genre]=[Chilled] [Rating]=>4},1,{[Genre]=[Chilled] [Rating]=<1},2,{[Genre]=[Angst] [Rating]=>4},1,{[Genre]=[Angst] [Rating]=<1} ~sort=[random]

This one selects from 2 genres, the others select from 2-5 genres, but all in the same way.
All the genres are mutually exclusive so there is no chance of a track in one smartlist appearing in another.

Meantime i still can't get my tracks onto my MP3 player :-(

Any advice?

SwellGuy

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 04:46:31 pm »

Thanks for doing so much analysis on this. We'll look in it, stay tuned...

adamsp70

• World Citizen
  • Unwired for sound...
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 04:33:37 am »

OK, finally tracked it down!

It was a single smartlist that always failed, and the others were always fine. Then i noticed that it wasn't the playlist that was failing to write, but a single MP3 files which was caught half way through conversion. Now this MP3 looks fine, but i guess there's something corrupted with it.

So i guess there's 2 things that arise from all this:

1. If you sync to a drive with a playlist, then sync with another playlist - the first playlist should not be deleted

2. If a conversion thread hits a corrupted file while syncing, then it should time out after a while and report an error.
Pages: [1]   Go Up