INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A comment about cddb  (Read 4158 times)

tim0393

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
A comment about cddb
« on: May 29, 2003, 06:34:27 am »

:-X
Hi.
I try not to complain.  I try to look at the good side of things.  I really try my best to look at the glass as 'half full'.
I just discovered, to my dismay, that MJ no longer uses cddb, it being replace with this yadb or whatever.  First of all, have you ever heard the old saying 'if it's not broke, don't fix it?'  Duhhh
With my old version of MJ, I could look up information on a single mp3.  Now the only way I can even find a yadb button is for cd's.
Thank goodness, I have an old MJ 8 version backed up around here somewhere.
Sometimes, I honestly believe that JRiver is doing it's best to drive it's customers away.  I remember when cnet's rating on MJ was in the 90's.  Now, it's down to 66%.  And no, you won't find a rating from me.......

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: A comment about cddb
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2003, 06:48:55 am »

Please try a search here to read more about why we switched from CDDB.

We have far fewer problems with YADB.

The option you are looking for is called track info lookup.  It is a feature of Media Center.

www.jrmediacenter.com

tim0393

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2003, 07:30:43 am »

?
Ok, I can understand that you were having problems with cddb.  Although I never personally had problems with it, some people were and you addressed the problem.  
You still update MJ8 even though it's obvious that MJ9 is the golden boy.  
So, MJ8 is now the red-headed step child, and you decided to remove the feature that would let me look up information on a single mp3 file?
I know, I'm being sarcastic.  It's just that when I first purchased MJ (MJ 7 by the way) I thought it was the greatest.  It made things so much easier than the windows media player I was used to.
Lately, it just seems that every new update comes with a round of new bugs, and now one of the very best features of MJ has been scrapped.
I guess I'll uninstall the update, reinstall my old version and remember never to put the thing on pause....

Please explain to me the concept of REMOVING features and calling it an update...

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2003, 07:35:04 am »

The option you are looking for is called track info lookup.  It is a feature of Media Center.

One more time: the feature you're looking for--the ability to look up info on a single track--is called "track info lookup" and is supported by MC9 with YADB.

tim0393

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2003, 07:55:33 am »

One more time: the feature you're looking for--the ability to look up info on a single track--is called "track info lookup" and is supported by MC9 with YADB.

One more time yet again.  We're talking about MJ here, not MC (Please see message board title).
If I wanted to buy MC, I would.
Have a nice day.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2003, 08:14:03 am »

tim0393

I am not sure if that option is in MJ8 or not

sorry.

You may be thinking the product is taking steps backwards, but MC9 really is taking leaps forward. and since most of the focus is on MC9 and maybe MJ9 (not sure what the status is on that).

i have been playing with some code to look at CD's and get the CD TOC and i have that working. i was planing to play with this and the 130megs+ freeDB databases to create a cd lookup (something to play with).

this said progress i do not feel will come in using software versions that are dated in life (MPO). and sugest that you upgrade to MC9.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

tim0393

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2003, 09:01:18 am »

I don't want to discuss it any more.  Pay $30 to get back a feature that I used to have, and a host of other features I don't want or need...

Call me a cheapskate, but I just don't see how that makes any sense to me.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2003, 09:12:04 am »

If you purchased before December 3, 2002, the upgrade is free.

If you purchased after that, it's $19.98.

www.mediajukebox.com/license

There is an older version of 8.0 on our ftp server in case you want to downgrade.

tim0393

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: A comment about cddb  << help for v
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2003, 08:49:34 am »

Actually, that's what I have just decided to do.  I have an older version of MJ8 on backup, and since the freeze on pause bug is still alive and well, there's no need to keep using this upgrade.
I have discovered something however, that may be of some use to those who are also having trouble with the slider disappearing on their MJ8.
While I still believe the problem to be a bug with MJ, I think there may be some merit to your claims about the sound card issue.
Here is what I have found out:
Whenever my slider disappears, I can bring it back by doing the following:
1) open the volume contol on your system tray and set the volume around half way.
2) Go to the preferences on MJ, click on start up options, enable 'volume control on startup'.  Set it to 100%.
3) Close MJ, restart the computer and then restart MJ.  

Since every computer is as different as the people who own them, I cannot say for sure this will work for you.  However, my slider has disappeared twice now, and I was able to fix it by doing what I just described.
Good luck.

shoofly

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2003, 03:22:36 pm »

I have a comment and a question:

1) When I first purchased MediaJukebox, I had access to CDDB. Then CDDB went away and I only had access to YADB, which started without the solid database that I'd been used to and improved slightly. Now my MJukebox tells me I'm tapping into CDDB all the time, and have the option to switch to YADB if it can't find something. I'm very happy with the setup as it now is.

2) I have made my own CD adaptations of existing LP's that I own. This means that I've recorded the LP's onto my hard drive, then utilized a music editing program to break it into tracks and recorded these onto a blank data CD for play in my auto. In two cases, now, when I've played this sort of CD through on my computer through Media Jukebox, CDDB has been able to match the CD's correctly to the original soundtrack! How can it do this?

Thanks for any light you may shed.

rocketsauce

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2003, 09:18:11 pm »

Are you sure that the CDs are being looked up thru CDDB?

It's probable that whatever burning software you used automatically saved the info about those discs to the Windows cdplayer.ini file and/or the discs were burned with CD-Text. Most likely MJ/MC is getting the disc info from one of those two sources.

Rob

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2003, 02:41:51 am »

By the way CDDB is a relitive term

The Orginal CDDB changed there name to Gracenote a few years ago.

YADB, FreeDb And GraceNote Are All CDDB

CD - Data Base
Fayetteville, NC, USA

shoofly

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2003, 07:18:46 am »

I burned the cds from music I converted from LPs, this is a shorthand of saying vinyl records. There is no information that could be on the CDs other than the converted wave files (to cda format). Something is enabling the CDDB to identify the CDs without recourse to identification tags of any kind. So I'm curious if there is a method of identifying music via the cda information itself or combinations of track counts and lengths.

Anyone who knows how CDDBs work?

Thanks

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2003, 07:29:59 am »

>> Anyone who knows how CDDBs work?
FreeDB does Not Have This Option To Do By File Look-Up's

CDDB (Gracenote) Does Not Have This Option however if you have the song name and artist name Gracnote will do a fuzzy lookup and allow you to select an album name

Only YADB used in J Rivers Jukebox has Digital finger printing where it will look at the DATA of the media file and try to figure out what song it is.

there is almost 200,000 songs in J rivers digital finger printing database. it's not large but if more people would submit to it it would get bigger.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

shoofly

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2003, 07:40:15 am »

Thanks for the response, KingSparta. That adds to the mystery howevery, as it is a GraceNote lookup on a CD that has been burned from an LP which has offerred me the successful match with nothing to go on. Twice. I could only guess that it had made some match without any text or id information, and the only info I could think of was track count and lengths.

I've submitted to YADB without getting any information that the material was used. By this I mean that I input track information for a CD unrecognized by YADB. Over a day later I re-installed the same alternative music CD and YADB did not match it.

For matching up my needs, GraceNote has been head and shoulders above YADB, although YADB has been improving.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2003, 07:48:59 am »

>> as it is a GraceNote lookup on a CD that has been
>> burned from an LP which has offerred me the
>> successful match with nothing to go on.
in this case all of the cd lookups used what is called A "TOC" this is a bit of code that wil figure up the number of files and play length and all that and if this TOC for an album burned to CD is the same as what has already been entered into the dtata base will render some info for you.

so in that case that info is generated from a TOC, and you may not have been the only person to rip from LP to CD

i have some source code i have been playing with that will generate a CD ID
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2003, 07:51:10 am »

Over a day later I re-installed the same alternative music CD and YADB did not match it.

I think there was a bug in YADB not sure if they updated MJ8 yet but i remember something about this maybe 2-4 weeks ago with YADB.

if you not using the current version of MJ8 upgrading may fix it.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2003, 09:03:44 am »

Some More Info

If I Put In A CD I Have My Program Generate a TOC For This One I Have Here it Is "87073b0a" Free DB Uses The first two letter number combos and devides all this up into files the DB file this CD is On Is File "87to87" and if you look thru the database you will find the info for the CD and here is the part of the database this cd is at.

Note: this info here is basicly the info that is on the CD (data used size) this is used to generate the CD ID

# Track frame offsets:
#      182
#      13667
#      26335
#      37172
#      51212
#      63620
#      73725
#      88550
#      103660
#      123300
#
# Disc length: 1853 seconds

======= FreeDb (CDDB) CD Database =======
#FILENAME=87073b0a
# xmcd CD database file
#
# Track frame offsets:
#      182
#      13667
#      26335
#      37172
#      51212
#      63620
#      73725
#      88550
#      103660
#      123300
#
# Disc length: 1853 seconds
#
# Revision: 4
# Processed by: cddbd v1.4PL0 Copyright (c) Steve Scherf et al.
# Submitted via: CDex 1.50beta9
#
DISCID=87073b0a
DTITLE=Shania Twain / Shania Twain
DYEAR=1993
DGENRE=Rock
TTITLE0=What Made You Say That
TTITLE1=You Lay A Whole Lot Of Love On Me
TTITLE2=Dance With The One That Brought You
TTITLE3=Still Under The Weather
TTITLE4=God Ain't Gonna Getcha For That
TTITLE5=Got A Hold On Me
TTITLE6=There Goes The Neighborhood
TTITLE7=Forget Me
TTITLE8=When He Leaves You
TTITLE9=Crime Of The Century
EXTD= YEAR: 1993
EXTT0=
EXTT1=
EXTT2=
EXTT3=
EXTT4=
EXTT5=
EXTT6=
EXTT7=
EXTT8=
EXTT9=
PLAYORDER=
Fayetteville, NC, USA

shoofly

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2003, 10:30:04 am »

Is there a list with more technical info on TOCs?

Does it follow that by TOC alone, a cddb cannot distinguishe between two albums with the same number of tracks that are the same length?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2003, 10:41:18 am »

Is there a list with more technical info on TOCs?

you can search the internet, but you basicly need to write your own code there is someinfo out there.

a cddb cannot distinguishe between two albums with the same number of tracks that are the same length?

A CD has no info on it other than file size it has no idea what CD it is, thats why if you notice in the YADB setup (at least in MC9), you can play with the Fuzzy Match and turn off "select first match" because there are disks out there with the same files and size on them.

Most of the dup matches would be on single release CD's maybe 1 or two songs on it.

=====================================

since we have been writing today i created a program to lookup the CD ID and pull up the database and find the disk info in the FreeDB database. now what i am going to do with this is another story.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

shoofly

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2003, 01:32:36 pm »

Thanks for the info, it's quite interesting.

shdbcamping

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2003, 02:44:56 pm »

I have never had any of the so called "bugs" reported in the various versions of MJ... 7 or 8. just lucky i guess because i've been with you guys through 3 different computers. your product rocks HUGE!

anyway, where can i get the last known upgrade for mj8 that still had track lookup under the tools menu of file properties?

Am still kicking around the MC upgrade idea. I may wait 'til i get my Plasma TV.

pcrampto

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2003, 04:32:09 am »

?
My issue may be solvable but is linked to your comment!

If I insert a CD when not on the internet (or when I get failed to connect message to yadb - it uses default names for tracks.

Every other time I insert the CD it comes up with these unless I manually key it all in.

HOW DO I Put a CD in, with defaults like t'Track1, track 2 etc. and then ask it to go to yadb?

It seems that it only does this once, the first time you put a CD in - after that your stuck with manually keying it in.

Any clues?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2003, 06:03:57 am »

>> Any clues?
if i remember correctly.

if you click on the drive in the left Item tree and then right click on it there is and option there to update from YADB
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up