INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Firefox 2.0 XML Feed "Subscribe With" Tool and MC  (Read 1322 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Firefox 2.0 XML Feed "Subscribe With" Tool and MC
« on: October 11, 2006, 04:22:00 pm »

If any of you are using Firefox 2.0 builds, you're probably aware of the cool new RSS Feed features it has built in.  One of which is that when you click on an XML Feed link, it parses the feed but also provides you with the option to "subscribe" to the feed using a variety of methods including the built in Live Bookmarks feature, external RSS Feed Readers, and any other user defined app.

I today tried adding a Podcast feed to MC via this tool, but it didn't work.  I haven't yet checked (I can from home with a simple script) but I'd assume that Firefox simply passes the feed's URL to the external app as a command line parameter.

This is a cool feature that would make it simple to subscribe to Podcasts (of audio or video varieties) using MC and Firefox.  Any chance that MC could be modified to accept a Podcast URL as a command line argument and automatically add the feed (perhaps with a confirmation dialog or something where we can edit the feed details)?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
Re: Firefox 2.0 XML Feed "Subscribe With" Tool and MC
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 07:14:46 pm »

That would be great!

How stable is FF2?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Firefox 2.0 XML Feed "Subscribe With" Tool and MC
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 11:17:21 pm »

I've had basically no problems.  As far as stability, I'd say I have few to no crashes with it (maybe every once in a while, but not really any better or worse than 1.5.0.x was).  The only real problem I've had was getting a couple of random extensions I use to work, and even that was pretty minor trouble.  All of those that didn't work initially, I could force to work (and they caused no problems) by using the Nightly Tester Tools extension (which among other things lets you override the "test" to see if an extension is compatible and try it yourself).  I don't use too many "hard core" extensions... Just Adblock, Filterset G Updater, Greasemonkey, and Flashblock (all of which did have compatible versions available on their web sites, though the auto-updater didn't always find them).  I also use the Manage Folders extension and a handful of other little things that haven't been updated, but worked fine after I forced them using the Nightly Tester Tools.

Most of the changes in the new version are subtle.  Nothing super-wows you, but I am quite pleased.    I really like the new spellchecker for filling out forms (helps writing posts like this one).  I also like the new RSS support (and the Live Bookmarks finally show formatted text rather than all the &apos tags).  The new "look" is nice, but nothing to jump around about.  The new tab stuff is nice too (they no longer get infinitely small and it can remember open tabs through relaunches and in the history).

My only "complaint" is that until they release it, it installs as "Bon Echo" instead of Firefox and lives in a separate folder.  That's just how they did "Deer Park" before 1.5 came out.  It's fine, but if you want to keep the "stable" firefox installed, you'll need to make a separate profile for either Bon Echo or for Firefox-stable (which is what I did), because the profiles are not compatible.

You can read some instructions on doing this on the build forum here:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=462431&sid=0af502cdd9c3d7f66f3401da5a6804c1
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up