I like the v11 left pane better
- 9 (26.5%)
I like the v12 left pane better
- 21 (61.8%)
Give it up....
- 4 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: POLL: Every Picture Tells a Story  (Read 2509 times)

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
POLL: Every Picture Tells a Story
« on: October 11, 2006, 08:59:08 pm »

There are some VERY cool new features in MC v12 that I'd be hard pressed to live without now that I've experienced it.

But... the left pane of v11 was so much more user friendly than v12.  Take a look at them right next to each other.  Same font/size, same track.

Compare the "tree" area.  Compare choosing View Schemes.  Compare the openness of the v11 tagging area vs the tight cramped v12 tagging area.  Notice that the fields displayed are ONLY what I have in my right pane with v11, but there is all this extra clutter (read only fields) in the v12 tagging area.

So take a look at both and please vote.  We're not trying to please Jim or Matt, we're trying to please ourselves.  I know voting does not impose any obligation on them to make any changes for us, but it could send a message. 

I keep switching back and forth between v11 and v12 for tagging, and the left pane on v12 just makes me feel Claustrophobic.

And if I get tossed from the forum for this, well it's been fun....

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: POLL: Every Picture Tells a Story
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 09:32:53 pm »

11 is much better. With a little polish (rather than a revamp) it would be perfect.

ingram3480

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 10:20:08 pm »

I'm more than okay with the v12 look but I almost never use the tagging feature in AW so perhaps you have an issue there.

That said, placing the twistee (is that what these expand/contract widgets are called?) on the right for the major category (playlist for example) but then placing the twistee on the left for the sub category drives me nuts.

As others have mentioned I wish the AW would just go away.  It is forever expanded and just sucks up real estate.  If nothing else make the AW and the entire tree display state be recalled from the last session.  I could minimize the thing and nearly forget about it. (I think that’s been asked for before too.)

I would also like to see the right click list for playing now be sync'ed with the player menu list (and visa versa).  I don't get why they are different.

So I vote for keeping v12 but there is stuff yet to done.  I do think the overall v12 look is cleaner and more polished; that J River accomplished an improved visual experience as they intended and as many have been asking for.....wouldn't everyone agree about that?

-- Larry

jgreen

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 10:38:20 pm »

I prefer both the tree in 12 and the tag window in 12.  That said, I agree with ingram's issue with the "twistees".  It's confusing to read from right to left and it goes against windows convention, FWIW.  I love the headers at the top of the tree in 12.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 10:54:46 pm »

In most computer manuals I've read they're referred to as "disclosure triangles" (though that is also a stupid name).  Twisties are what I tie my trash bags closed with.   ;)

The MC12 tree grows on you.  I was very skeptical at first too.  Give it some time.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Shelly

• I love listening to music with Media Center!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 11:26:21 pm »

I definitely like tagging better in 12 than 11 and the tree in 12 is growing on me.

rjm

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 11:53:06 pm »

I must be the old guy on the thread - less tolerant to change :).

I will say that I am a serious power tagger and have never ever even once used the AW for tagging. So I personally would not sweat tagging in the AW. The AW is useful once in a while for viewing seldom viewed tags when you don't want to customize your main view to show the tag.

I also almost never use the other AW features and would prefer an option to keep it minimized. I do very much like the new video display in the AW.

Rob

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 05:37:40 am »

One thing I'd like to see added to MC12 are icons next to the tree items BELOW the main three.  At the moment, they're all just text, and the "image" setting when creating a new view scheme has no effect on the tree items at this level.  I'd like to be able to give my custom tree items icons regardless of where they are in the tree so I can quickly tell them apart from all the other items.  On the same subject, I'd also like to see icons next to "Playing Now," etc.

I think that MC12 tree has the potential to look better than the tree in MC11, but I think the items need icons and not just text.

Larry

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 07:15:40 am »

I don't care about AW tagging. I tag in details view. I use the AW's tag info mostly for display purposes only and usually only for the "file format" details display. I think that the "File Type Info" was easier to access in MC11.1.

I care about the tree. It was better in MC11.1.

I can live with MC12's tree, but I still cannot understand what was wrong with MC11.1's tree.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

dcwebman

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 07:19:51 am »

I think we finally got the tagging window acceptable. I personally don't care for the 3 big icons at the top of the tree as I think the first things should be Start and Playing Now. Once you expand any of those, you have to try to find Playing Now. Fortunately you can put Playing Now on the toolbar to avoid having to find it in the tree, but it still bothers me.  :)
Jeff

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 06:10:52 pm »

For me, I liked the ability to get the detailed file info quickly and easily. Kinda busy there now.
I like having the big 3 on top, but if they looked differently I wouldn't be upset.
Tagging is fine with me, but I do not do bulk tagging often and I do nothave custom fields to worry with so that probably taints my view of it.

dNj

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 10:23:55 am »

I like the new tree view in 12. Only a  minor complaint .  I'm not a fan of "start" and "playing now" being sandwiched in the middle of the tree.  I like being able to click on playing now to jump to the top of the MC tree.  This is helpful when i have multiple view schemes and playlists expanded.  If its called start shouldn't it be at the start (top) of the tree. 

is it possible to allow users to customize the tree order to their liking?

dcwebman

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 02:41:15 pm »

I must be in a mockup mood. I have heard more than one person bring this up, including me.

Now let's see,
where is the Playing Now?

Oh there it is,
nice and easy to find.

Jeff

lukecro

• Junior Woodchuck
  • editorial, publishing
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 01:18:05 am »

I dig DCwebman's mock-up.....

Personally, I never us "Start" (never really found the Start stuff very useful on MC)  but logically it makes sense to have it at the top, if it's going to exist at all (you don't start at the middle or end, you start at the beginning, eh?).

PlayingNow definitely needs to be at or very near the very top .... There's probably nothing that I click on more often. (I've turned off the "jump to playing now" option on MC, because getting sent to playing now automatically drove me crazy when I was trying to do other things in other areas of MC -- but when I'm ready to go to Playing Now, I'd certainly like it to be easily available at the top of the menu).

I also love the old "All Media" view option that the old MC's used to have -- there was a way to get that back into MC 11, so I added it back in .... hopefully will be able to do the same with MC 12.... but I've never really understood why All Media is no longer a default option on the tree....

(Note: I do use the Action Window items quite a bit when mass-tagging files and checking info, etc.... so I'd never want to see AC go away ... but I wouldn't mind if the AC was minimized by default, either... either way would be fine by me ... But having MC remember how you had things set last with these would be good.... But here's what I'd realy love: being able to expand the Action Window's sub-windows upwards ... this would be ideal ... the Tag Info action window, for instance, requires a lot of scrolling if you're looking at all the available tag fields, so it'd be great if you could click an arrow that would maximize it vertically, covering up the rest of the tree when needed.)

Other than that, the new MC tree is looking good.... shaping up nicely, I'd say!

johnnyboy

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2006, 01:27:36 am »

Love the mock up with Playing now fixed at the top. Makes alot of sense to me as it's something you'd always want to be able to get to quickly.

One thing I think would be a big improvement as per luke's comment thought would be if the media modes acted as check boxes rather than radio buttons so you could basically open as many or as few media types as you wanted at the same time so if you wanted, you could have all three media modes together.

I dont see why it should have to be exclusive with them so it's one or the other or the other one.

dcwebman

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2006, 07:57:10 am »

Too bad it appears the mockup isn't getting any exposure. I was really hoping there would be a lot of "that's fantastic" replies.  Perhaps I should have posted it in another topic. ?
Jeff

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2006, 08:40:30 am »

Perhaps, but I like the static location for Playing Now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up