INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 Libraries (include/exclude)  (Read 2530 times)

KeystoneCop

• Galactic Citizen
  • I hate computers..
2 Libraries (include/exclude)
« on: October 14, 2006, 02:45:16 pm »

I started with one library, then excluded one folder of audio books. then i deleted all the files in the  folder from media center (keeping the files).  This seems to work fine.

I then built another library and said include the audio books only,  it says done, but no audio files show up.

Ok......what am I doing wrong this time.  Sorry in advance.
There is a way to compare tags

[=isequal([band],[album])]=1

thanks marko

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: 2 Libraries (include/exclude)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 08:04:28 pm »

I'm unclear on several points here.  In the second library, your saying that no files show up at ALL?  What do you mean when you say:

I then built another library and said include the audio books only,

In other words, exactly what do you mean by "said include"?  What actual "actions" does this imply?

What format are the audiobooks?  Are they "aa" files (Audible files) or are they rips from books on CD?  If they are aa files, note that the tags are NOT saved in the files themselves -- they are only saved in the library.  You'll therefore lose the tags if you export/import any aa files since the tags are not part of the actual files.  If you're relying on the tags to only include audiobooks, this "could" explain why you aren't seeing them.  I'm still unclear, however, exactly what you did and exactly what you're seeing.

Thanks for any more details on this, which will help with troubleshooting.

Larry

PS.  Why two libraries?  Why not instead create View Schemes in the main section of the tree that include/exclude what you want?  It's a LOT easier to select different View Schemes in the tree than it is to completely switch libraries.  To create a View Scheme that shows up in the main tree list, highlight "Start," then to to Edit > Add View Scheme.

KeystoneCop

• Galactic Citizen
  • I hate computers..
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 08:31:25 pm »

yes.  my audio vocabulary needs help.

the files are all mp3. 

i thought I could create 2 librarys.  one for audio books one for all others, and include the ones I want , end exclude the others for each,

thanks marko

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 09:08:27 pm »

Why the 2 libraries?
Why not use one and just exclude audiobooks from the view-schemes you don't want to see them in.

KeystoneCop

• Galactic Citizen
  • I hate computers..
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 09:42:39 pm »

Why the 2 libraries?
Why not use one and just exclude audiobooks from the view-schemes you don't want to see them in.
that is what I am trying to do.................HOW?????????

thanks marko

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 11:26:50 pm »

that is what I am trying to do.................HOW?????????

To create a View Scheme that shows up in the main tree list, highlight "Start" in the tree (left hand side of MC.)  Go to the top toolbar and select Edit > Add View Scheme.  In the dialogue box that opens, create the View Scheme as follows:

In the Step 1 section, use the "Add" button to add all the "Panes" you want to include in the view.  These panes will appear above the track list.  Arrange them in the order you want them to appear.  For example, a typical View Scheme would have, in this order; "Genre," "Artist," and "Album."  This will result in these three panes appearing above the track window.  If this View is for "Audiobooks" only, you wouldn't need the "Genre" pane.

In the Step 2 section, name the Scheme.  Note that you'll have to uncheck the "Auto name" box if you want to name it yourself.

In the Step 3 section, you can pretty much leave the default settings.  You can read up on these settings if you want to change some of the behaviors of this view scheme, but the default settings should generally work.

The Step 4 section is where you setup the rules that will control exactly what items will appear in this View Scheme.  Select a field from the dropdown list (use "More fields" to see a more comprehensive list.)  This will open another dialogue where you choose from a list of available values, and whether you want to "include" or "exclude" these items.  Note that you can have several rules in a single View Scheme, and that you can either "include" OR "exclude" items.

For example, if you want a View Scheme that ONLY shows files that are tagged as "Audiobooks," you'd select "Genre" from the list of fields, then put a check in the "Audiobooks" genre in the popup window, and make sure that "include" is selected.  This View Scheme will now show ONLY files that are tagged as "Audiobooks."

Another example would be to create a View Scheme that did NOT include Audiobooks.  To do this, in step 4 of the View Scheme setup window you'd select "exclude" instead of "include" for the "Audiobooks" genre.  This View Scheme will now display all files EXCEPT Audiobooks.

Larry

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 11:32:35 pm »

If you don't want audiobooks to show up under the main audio group at the top:
Right click > Edit View Scheme
Edit Step 4 to exclude by whatever makes them unique on your system (genre, filename(path), etc.).
Then add a new view scheme called 'Audiobooks' that just contains those.

KeystoneCop

• Galactic Citizen
  • I hate computers..
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 01:40:19 pm »

Edit Step 4 to exclude by whatever makes them unique on your system (filename(path)

I do not see this as an option.

what is the purpose of multiple llibraries, if you cannot select which folders go into which library

thanks marko

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 01:46:37 pm »

what is the purpose of multiple llibraries, if you cannot select which folders go into which library

In Auto-Import Options you can include or exclude specific folders. Each library has its own import folder list.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 06:51:59 pm »

I do not see this as an option.

Right click on the View Scheme you want to edit and select "Edit View Scheme."  At the bottom of the window that opens you'll see the "Step 4" section.  Click the little dropdown arrow to access the list of fields to use as rules.

You CAN.  What we're suggesting is that we feel there is a better way to do what you are trying to do, which is to use a single library with custom "View Schemes" to view your content.  To use a seperate "library" to do this is rather overkill.  Think of an actual library building where physical books are stored.  You wouldn't build an entirely new building just to house all "non-fiction" books.  Instead, you'd create a non-fiction "section" within the existing library.

That said, I'm starting to wonder if there might be a fundamental misunderstanding here.  If you tag all your audiobook mp3s with the genre "audiobooks," you can simply choose this in the "Genre" pane of the default MC Pane View.  In other words, you highlight "Audio" at the top of the tree, then "Audiobooks" in the Genre pane.  With "Audiobooks" highlighted, the rest of the panes show ONLY audiobooks.  You really don't "need" a seperate library OR a seperate view scheme to display your audiobooks -- you just have to tag them appropriately and utilize the panes to view them.

I may of course be misunderstanding what you are trying to do, so if this is the case, please explain in more detail exactly what your trying to accomplish.  At the moment, it seems to me like you're using some overly complicated ways of doing some very simple things.  Once again, however, there may be a misunderstanding on my part.

Thanks,

Larry

KeystoneCop

• Galactic Citizen
  • I hate computers..
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 05:02:41 pm »

first....again thanks for the replies.

the reason I wanted two libraries is that I have a lot of audio books and old radio clips, that I don't use very often, and they always pop up when i am trying to find duplicate mp3's etc.  ..so I thought 2 libraries was a good solution.

but it does not appear to work the way I tought.  I guess I could use version 11 for one and 12 for the other.

thanks marko

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 05:21:53 pm »

first....again thanks for the replies.

the reason I wanted two libraries is that I have a lot of audio books and old radio clips, that I don't use very often, and they always pop up when i am trying to find duplicate mp3's etc.  ..so I thought 2 libraries was a good solution.

but it does not appear to work the way I tought.  I guess I could use version 11 for one and 12 for the other.

I'm still not clear why you feel that two libraries will work better than one for what you're describing, but that aside, you CAN do this in MC12.  You don't need to use both MC11 and MC12 for this.

Just turn off the "Auto Import" feature in the Options, then manually import ONLY the files you want in the first library.  Switch to the NEW library (or create it) and import ONLY the files you want in the second library.  You'll now have two libraries in MC12 that you can switch back and forth between, and each one will ONLY contain the files that you specifically imported into it.

Larry

PS.  I still don't understand why you couldn't just use View Schemes to do what you're asking, but I apparently don't fully understand your situation.

KeystoneCop

• Galactic Citizen
  • I hate computers..
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 11:00:02 pm »

thanks again

it's probably just a problem between the chair and keyboard, but i downloaded the lates version, created a new library. and everything seems to be fine now.

using 2 libraries.

thanks marko
Pages: [1]   Go Up