INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "All" Item on Theater View  (Read 3449 times)

Hugo_Elbuho

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
"All" Item on Theater View
« on: October 15, 2006, 04:20:44 am »

Hey !

I see great improvements in this version. Thanks for every single minute of the time spent to make of this a great media application.

See... when i first installed MC12, one of the first things i did was test the new Theater View features. I really liked what i saw!.  Now.. i noticed something wrong while i was browsing one of my view schemes:

The "All" item which used to sit on top of each field of a scheme isn't there anymore.

For instance in a "Supergenre/Genre/Rating" view, this approach allowed me to select a particular Supergenre (i.e Electronica) and then "skip" whenever i wanted to hear whatever Electronic music,  the Genre field  by selecting, "All" the Genres and then to still be able to "drill down" into the next "Rating" field to select all my 4 and 5 rated songs.

Will this remain this way? I would like to see it back considering the flexibility this brings to the navigation and the consistence that's lost with Panes View which is currently showing the "All" item.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Dopas

• Junior Woodchuck
  • MC rocks ... keep up your good work!
Re: "All" Item on Theater View/ Schemes in Media Receiver
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 03:50:17 pm »

I see the same issue when using my media reseiver (DSM 320), the "All" option on top of each view item the schemes is missing since MC12. It seems to be showing fine within Media Center, so why is not shown anymore on the MEdia Receiver?
Is there an option to get this back?

Thanks
Dom
Media Center 12.X/13.x
Handheld: IPOD 60GB, Creative Vision:M
Media Receiver: DLink DSM-320

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: "All" Item on Theater View
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 04:32:01 pm »

Several people, including myself, have been campaigning for the return of the "All" button ever since we first noticed it missing.  As I understand it, it was removed so that people who didn't need it did not have to "jump over" it (which of course always struck me as a pretty minor issue to begin with.)  It seems to me that a lot more was lost by it's removal than was gained.

One solution would be to offer this as an option, but JR does not want to get into an "option overload" situation, which is understandable.  If it's not offered as an option, however, I still think that the gains from including an "All" button far outweigh the losses.  The only downside for people who don't need it is that they have to scroll over a SINGLE extra item, which just doesn't seem like a strong enough reason to take it away from those of us who DO use it.

Thanks for posting,

Larry

bbrip

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 09:38:10 pm »

I for one have definitly wondered what happened to the "All" item.  THIS IS A MUST HAVE and if some dont wnat it then th ebest is to make this an option as suggested before.

BB

Chili-Jam

• World Citizen
  • same same ... but different
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 01:08:22 pm »

I really think this is a must have.
You loose so much by not having it so i don't understand why people can't skip one single entry for 'all'.

Please bring it back.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 06:30:29 pm »

Rather than just removing items like the "All" folders, the "Home" button and the "Pg Up & Pg Down" buttons - things many of us are greatly missing - why not include these as selectable items in the existing "Items to Show" user option for Theater View. I've suggested this before and many agree it's a good idea.

I'd like to see the list expanded to include:-

a) the Home button
b) the Exit button (I hate how people using my system are able to quit Theater View when I don't want them to)
c) the Back Button (Not really needed if you have "Allow navigation with left and right arrows" option set)
d) the Pg Up / Pg Down buttons (Touch screen users!!)
e) and of course, the "All" folder(s)

...and anything else which could make sense.

Some more user control and refinement is desperately needed for Theater View. There's so much still lacking in this area especially when you consider how much you can tweak the standard interface. The Theater View "behaviour" options are also too limiting but that's for another thread.....
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Flavius

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 08:12:57 pm »

And while we're on the topic of suggesting things for the Theatre view, why can't I scroll down the list by typing the first letters of whatever is being displayed? Or when searching, why can't i use the keyboard straight away?

Secondly, would it be possible to have a key that shows what is playing (artist - title) on the display screen? Sometimes I choose a random playlist, put something playing, would love to know what the name of the tune is, and i have to go back to normal view or theater view to see it ..

thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 10:08:13 am »

Several people, including myself, have been campaigning for the return of the "All" button ever since we first noticed it missing.  As I understand it, it was removed so that people who didn't need it did not have to "jump over" it (which of course always struck me as a pretty minor issue to begin with.)  It seems to me that a lot more was lost by it's removal than was gained.

Just thought I'd add my support for the return of "All"... Again.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 10:24:53 am »

Back next build.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 04:24:05 pm »

Back next build.

Including "Home" and "Pg Up/Down" ??  What about the ability to hide ""Exit"? Etc, etc, etc...
Z-Wave Home Automation

Hugo_Elbuho

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 08:59:36 pm »

It's very much appreciated!  Thank you Matt and JR people. 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 11:25:47 pm »

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 07:30:29 am »

I'm the opposite here  :)
'All' just annoys me. While I don't use the theatre view very much, I'd like to see an option to turn it on/ off globally, just so I can dispose of it everywhere  8)
If I want to listen to a selection of stuff, I much prefer to use a random playlist.

-Leezer-

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 11:28:26 am »

Including "Home" and "Pg Up/Down" ??  What about the ability to hide ""Exit"? Etc, etc, etc...

Ditto

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 04:02:19 pm »

'All' just annoys me. While I don't use the theatre view very much, I'd like to see an option to turn it on/ off globally, just so I can dispose of it everywhere  8)
If I want to listen to a selection of stuff, I much prefer to use a random playlist.

-Leezer-

... and there it is... (as expected!)

JR, any chance of considering the following PLEASE? :-

Rather than just removing items like the "All" folders, the "Home" button and the "Pg Up & Pg Down" buttons - things many of us are greatly missing - why not include these as selectable items in the existing "Items to Show" user option for Theater View. I've suggested this before and many agree it's a good idea.

I'd like to see the list expanded to include:-

a) the Home button
b) the Exit button (I hate how people using my system are able to quit Theater View when I don't want them to)
c) the Back Button (Not really needed if you have "Allow navigation with left and right arrows" option set)
d) the Pg Up / Pg Down buttons (Touch screen users!!)
e) and of course, the "All" folder(s)

...and anything else which could make sense.

Thanks.
Z-Wave Home Automation

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 07:43:46 am »

While I agree that having more options is a good thing and have absolutely no personal objection to this being an option, I think that JR is trying to avoid "options overload."

The presense of the 'All' button may annoy you to some extent, but the lack of this button has an actual effect on usability for those of use who do use it, which goes well beyond simply "annoying."  In other words, I honestly feel that in this particular case, the presence of the button does less "damage" to your use than it's absence does to those of use who utilize this button.

Larry

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 10:13:44 am »

The presense of the 'All' button may annoy you to some extent, but the lack of this button has an actual effect on usability for those of use who do use it, which goes well beyond simply "annoying."  In other words, I honestly feel that in this particular case, the presense of the button does less "damage" to your use than it's absence does to those of use who utilize this button.

+++

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 06:20:43 pm »

Oh I'm sure  :)
To me though, there really isn't any such thing as options overload. To my mind, all it needs are for the options to be properly classified and easy to find, with the option to either have a basic set of options or an advanced set of options.
The code to do this is quite clearly around and changeable, as they've done this between builds, and IMHO this means that an option would please both camps.

/Scratches head. I've probably spent far too much time playing with the smallest things in Linux config files for my own good  :o

-Leezer-

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 12:44:52 am »

The presense of the 'All' button may annoy you to some extent, but the lack of this button has an actual effect on usability for those of use who do use it, which goes well beyond simply "annoying."  In other words, I honestly feel that in this particular case, the presence of the button does less "damage" to your use than it's absence does to those of use who utilize this button.

I agree with this to some extent - but if it starts off annoying, it just seems to get more annoying! I'm with leezer3 - if I have an artist with 2 albums and go all the way down to those 2 albums, I get three thumbnails; one "All", and my two albums. The "All" inevitably has the thumbnail of one of the other two, so it basically looks like clutter. Same goes for three, four, five albums - I hate it! That said, I can see how "All" has an important functional role for you lot who like it.

Theater View has an Advanced section in Options that would quite easily accommodate an option to turn it off??

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: "All" Item on Theater View/ Schemes in Media Receiver
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 01:59:51 am »

I see the same issue when using my media reseiver (DSM 320), the "All" option on top of each view item the schemes is missing since MC12. It seems to be showing fine within Media Center, so why is not shown anymore on the MEdia Receiver?
Is there an option to get this back?

Thanks
Dom

Dopas: I noticed you are using the DSM-320.  What do you think of it?  I have one of those on order and should have it in a few days.  Is it capable of playing a DVD from a VIDEO_TS folder?  I know it plays VOB and MPG2 files.  I wonder if it will show movie titles?  Since it has to have a UPnP server, which will be MC, will that handle sending the DVD VIDEO_TS and do menus work?  I'm guessing titles will be no problem since MC knows the movie titles from a Fill Properties from Filename.
Pages: [1]   Go Up