INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clicking on mode button (Audio/Images/Video) always lists all files  (Read 2954 times)

alexgit

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile

MC12 - 93
I'd expect to browse audio, for example, by just opening tree of drives (or whatever). It should take no time and view on the
right should not change.
However, when I click on audio button (including little arrow on the right), it switches right to top level audio view
so all my files are displayed. It takes a while (especially vis library server) and my old view is lost.
I hope it's just a bug in beta version which is going to be fixed.

Best
Alex

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Clicking on mode button (Audio/Images/Video) always lists all files
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 06:52:45 am »

MC12 - 93
I'd expect to browse audio, for example, by just opening tree of drives (or whatever). It should take no time and view on the right should not change.
However, when I click on audio button (including little arrow on the right), it switches right to top level audio view so all my files are displayed. It takes a while (especially vis library server) and my old view is lost.
I hope it's just a bug in beta version which is going to be fixed.

I am sorry, but this doesn't make sense. The root view schemes are supposed to display all files under the selected view scheme (at least by default if the view schemes are not altered). This has not changed from MC11.1. The main categories are just in new places.

What did you have open before you selected the Audio category in your example?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

alexgit

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 10:57:50 am »

This has not changed from MC11.1. The main categories are just in new places.

In MC11, On the left next to node I see a little arrow. If I click this arrow it opens up the tree without changing right side.
MC12 those root nodes moved to the top of left pane, and they even have those  little arrows too. However when I click on arrow in MC12, it immediately switches right side to all files, which takes like 3-5 seconds on my, not so slow, machine. Of course I have quite few files there.
Also I should say that it only acts that way right after I start MC. After I used particular view - arrow button seems to work as expected.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 11:01:49 am »

It only switches if you're at a different media root.  If you're at a playlist, playing now, etc., it won't switch.

This is because it's confusing to be looking at images with audio expanded.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

alexgit

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 11:21:07 am »

Is there workaround?
Matt, while I can see your point, my understanding was that MC12 was supposed to have better performance. If I have to wait 5 seconds before even starting browsing it feel lot like performance degradation.
Thanks
Alex

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 11:23:12 am »

Is there workaround?
Matt, while I can see your point, my understanding was that MC12 was supposed to have better performance. If I have to wait 5 seconds before even starting browsing it feel lot like performance degradation.
Thanks
Alex

Try a less complicated root view scheme.  It shouldn't take very long to switch views unless you're asking MC to do something fancy.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 11:30:00 am »

Quite a few of my root schemes are pretty slow when first opening them.  My searches aren't super fancy, but I do have searches on each of them.  For example, my Audio on has:

Code: [Select]
[Media Type]=[Audio] -[File Type]=[cda] -[Genre]=[Podcast]
It still takes a good 1.5 seconds to open the first time I click on it, even on my swanky new dual-core Opteron 165 CPU @ 2.5 GHz.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 11:34:54 am »

I have noticed that if I am working with Images and have a tree branch open I cannot just go to audio and add a few more tracks to PN without losing the location of the the opened Image tree branch. In this sense MC11.1 worked better.

Is there workaround?

You can make new audio, video, image or "all media" view schemes in the tree root. They would work as in MC11.1.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 11:37:06 am »

Quite a few of my root schemes are pretty slow when first opening them.  My searches aren't super fancy, but I do have searches on each of them.  For example, my Audio on has:

Code: [Select]
[Media Type]=[Audio] -[File Type]=[cda] -[Genre]=[Podcast]
It still takes a good 1.5 seconds to open the first time I click on it, even on my swanky new dual-core Opteron 165 CPU @ 2.5 GHz.

That's too slow.  Are you showing a lot of panes? (especially calculated panes)

alexgit

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 11:38:16 am »

Try a less complicated root view scheme.  It shouldn't take very long to switch views unless you're asking MC to do something fancy.

All I did - just installed MC12 and clicked on arrow next Audio button. Nothing fancy. I definitely expect this arrow to open up a tree - otherwise what is a point of it (arrow I mean)? It did open a tree but also loaded all files on the right.

alexgit

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 11:50:24 am »

Thanks for workaround.
I just confirmed that top buttons would also work as expected except when you first time click them after loading new library. I'd definitely consider this as a bug.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 11:52:08 am »

When it worked the other way, people also reported it as a bug.  Having images selected with audio expanded didn't look right.

It's a gray area, so we'll probably leave well enough alone.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 11:59:40 am »

I just confirmed that top buttons would also work as expected except when you first time click them after loading new library. I'd definitely consider this as a bug.

The behavior is not depended on if the triangle was already clicked during the current MC session.

As Matt said, it only switches if you are in a different media root. To be exact: if you are in Video or Images when you click the Audio triangle. I.e. the current view is under one of the other items on the top row

If you are in any other part of tree clicking a top row triangle only expands the tree branch without changing the view.

Also, the triangle area is not very big. If you miss the exact point MC changes the view.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 12:17:19 pm »

I don't have any panes defined in my root view schemes at all.  I keep them empty and only add panes to the children.

I'll have to double check the schemes at home.  On my machine here at work it's lightning quick.  Though, I just imported the same exact library to this machine, so I don't see how it's different.  Hmmm....

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006, 12:26:13 pm »

With my main library from video to audio takes 3-4 seconds when repeated, the first time may be a bit slower.

My audio root is in panes mode. I have five panes that are not calculated (except Album Artist (auto) if it counts), but my standard details view has 54 columns as I have explained elsewhere. This audio root scheme lists currently 42247 files.

54 x 42,247 = 2,281,338     :)

Media Center Registered 12.0.93 -- C:\Soft\MC12\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2780 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 408 MB

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2006, 12:45:27 pm »

That's true.  I have LOTS more files at home....  I have all my Audio and Images here at work, but only a tiny subset of my Video files here.  The work machine is quite a bit less powerful than the one at home though (work = Pentium D 3.2 GHz vs. Home = Opteron 165 @ 2.5 GHz).

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2006, 02:30:25 pm »

I have noticed that if I am working with Images and have a tree branch open I cannot just go to audio and add a few more tracks to PN without losing the location of the the opened Image tree branch. In this sense MC11.1 worked better.
I always have "views>split views>2 views" in action. After dragging the view splitter right down to the bottom to hide the inactive view, you wouldn't know you had two views active, but, when faced with the quoted situation, a click on the view splitter brings the inactive view into play and I can go to another area of the library without losing my place in the current image workflow.

It works really well, just remember the view does not become active untill you click inside it.
After bringing the second view out of hiding the first time, it may only show in the bottom half. Drag the splitter all the way to the top, and from then on, MC will remember the state of each view, even across sessions.
There's a bug in there somewhere atm that will hopefully be fixed soon where MC keeps switching the focus. It happens when returning from full screen, and with recent builds, also after OK'ing out of the options dialogue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up