INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Way OT - A Car That Knows the Speed Limit?  (Read 1619 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Way OT - A Car That Knows the Speed Limit?
« on: October 16, 2006, 11:05:35 am »

And a truck that can wake you up when you fall asleep.  Pretty cool stuff!

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061016-7994.html

If you've ever found yourself driving in unfamiliar territory, wondering if you are exceeding the speed limit, Siemens VDO has developed a new system that could help you out—in a few years. It's an "electronic traffic sign recognition function" that uses cameras and special software to scan the road ahead for speed limit signs, which the system can identify and then display on the dashboard.
Siemens VDO now supplies a whole host of such electronic gadgetry to the automobile industry. Last month, for instance, it introduced a Driver Attention System targeted at truck drivers. The DAS uses a small camera and an infrared light to continuously illuminate the driver's features, while software evaluates factors such as head movement and number of eye blinks to determine whether the driver is growing sleepy. If so, the system vibrates the seat. If drowsiness continues, the truck sounds a tone that swells in volume until the driver becomes more alert.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Way OT - A Car That Knows the Speed Limit?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 11:16:29 am »

Cameras seem too complicated. 

A GPS knows where you are and also knows the speed limits. (it can calculate the fastest route, so it must)

I'm afraid someday insurance companies will force us to strap a GPS to our car for this reason.  Not that I ever speed.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 11:20:02 am »

And my car already has an audible message alert that warns about excessive speed, cars pulling out, wrong turns, and bumpy roads.

She sits in the passenger seat.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 11:27:22 am »

A GPS knows where you are and also knows the speed limits. (it can calculate the fastest route, so it must)

I think they generally just know average speeds for routes.  I doubt they can tell that a speed limit has suddenly dropped from 55 to 30 (as happens often in rural Maine where they need to fund the sherrif's departments somehow).

Also, a good example is given in the article.  What about in Europe where some sections of road have no speed limit?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jimn

• World Citizen
  • You are getting sleepy...very sleepy...
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 02:07:30 pm »

Try explaining to the cop that your new Siemens gadget incorrectly analysed the last speed limit sign.  (155 mph, it's the law!)

JimN

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 05:31:59 pm »

I have once tried 220 km/h (~137 mph) on a German Autobahn. The Alfa Romeo I had then didn't go faster. It obviously knew its limit because the rev limiter kicked in at 7000 rpm in top gear.

BTW, these German Autobahns are the only roads in Europe that have certain parts without a speed limit. On our freeways in Finland the maximum allowed is 120 km/h (~75 mph) like in many other European countries.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Krazykanuck

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 07:06:31 pm »

And my car already has an audible message alert that warns about excessive speed, cars pulling out, wrong turns, and bumpy roads.

She sits in the passenger seat.

I have one of those devices too. Unfortunately it is prone to false alarms.
Pages: [1]   Go Up