INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New feature - Buffered seeking for Internet streams  (Read 1630 times)

jimn

• World Citizen
  • You are getting sleepy...very sleepy...
New feature - Buffered seeking for Internet streams
« on: October 17, 2006, 11:51:28 am »

A new feature recently intoduced is the ability to pause, and seek anywhere in the stream's timeline, all the while the stream continues to buffer in real time (much like TIVO does for live TV).

Currently, this is implemented for streaming MP3 and WMA, including live, or existing files that are streamed from a remote server. In the later case the streaming can be buffered faster than real time, limit by bandwidth only.

If the MP3 stream metadata song titles exist, the "Fastforward" and "Rewind" buttons will seek to the beginning of the next/current/previous title (pressing and holding these buttons work same as usual). This title feature is not yet implemented for WMA streams (anyone know of a WMA stream with metadata song titles? I'm having trouble finding one to test).

As with any new feature, glitches are likely. Please let me know your experience with it.

Thanks,
JimN

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: New feature - Buffered seeking for Internet streams
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 04:31:41 pm »

jim--

This sounds like a great development and I can't wait to try it.  But I haven't been able to get MC 12 to play streaming web radio, at least not using the method I did under 11, which was to drag a link into playing now.  Could somebody give me a very basic explanation on how it works now?

jimn

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 04:52:43 pm »

at least not using the method I did under 11, which was to drag a link into playing now. 

Dragging the link to Playing Now should work. Do you get errors trying to play the link, or do you not even get to the small menu that has "Play|Add to Play Now list|Cancel"?

What stream URL are you trying to play? Also try the latest build, or at least 94 or higher, as there was a bug in earlier versions.

JimN

jgreen

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 06:05:40 pm »

jim--

I tried your new buffering system with an existing link to an mp3 stream, and it works great!  I think it adds a lot of funtionality to streaming.  Now, a couple of questions:

--It appears that it will keep buffering the content until you play something else.  Is there any method for saving this buffered content as an mp3?

--It's not clear to me whether the pushed track name info will roll back to a previous track.  I can't imagine how this function might be achieved, but it would be really cool if it could.

As for my difficulty dragging new links into playing now, I've got to believe it's sys-specific to my machine (personal issue).  I'll let you know if I get this or any of the others worked out.

jimn

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 12:07:23 pm »

--It appears that it will keep buffering the content until you play something else.  Is there any method for saving this buffered content as an mp3?

It's in the works.

--It's not clear to me whether the pushed track name info will roll back to a previous track.  I can't imagine how this function might be achieved, but it would be really cool if it could.

It only works if the stream gives the song title as the beginning of each song. MC displays the title while that song is playing. If you click the "<<" button, MC will do a seek to the beginning of the "track", or song in the stream. If you press "<<" within the first few seconds, it will seek to beginning of previous title in the stream, or beginning of the stream (where you first started playing the stream). The cutoff point (no. of seconds) is variable at this point, something I need to fix.

Here's a stream with metadata song titles to try it out with (you'll have to wait for a new song to come on):

http://www.freeformrock.com/listen128.m3u

As for my difficulty dragging new links into playing now, I've got to believe it's sys-specific to my machine (personal issue).  I'll let you know if I get this or any of the others worked out.

Besides dragging links, you can also manually paste a link URL into File->Open URL
Another way to find streams to play is open the Audio branch and click on Web Media and click search. There are quite a few to choose from, but I don't know how complete the list is (if you are searching for a particular stream.

Stream access in MC could be improved, and we are looking into how to improve it. Suggestions are always wecome.

JimN

jgreen

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 12:19:12 pm »

I think this feature brings a lot to the table, Jim.  Great work.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 08:19:15 pm »

This is a great feature -- thanks for this.

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 09:15:36 pm »

What's the maximum buffer size?  At the moment I have around 48 minutes buffered with a 128kbps stream, but I'm curious just how long it will go.

Thanks,

Larry

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 09:28:52 pm »

That's funny. I was just using this today thinking it was a regular feature of MC. I usually listen to internet radio through RealPlayer because it supports time shifting. Good to see MC will too. It's looking better and better. I am "this close" to making the buy.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up