INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem after uninstalling MC11 on system with MC11 and MC12 (MineMge.exe issue)  (Read 1130 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I've had MC11 AND MC12  installed on this system for a little while now.  I recently tried to play a "preview" audio link on the allmusic site, and MC11 opened and played the file instead of MC12.  I confirmed that MC11 had NO filetypes checked in it's File Associations, and I made sure that MC12 was set to play wma files (which is what MC11 indicated this file was.)  No matter what I did, I could not get MC11 to stop being the program used to play this link.

I figured that I'd go ahead and uninstall MC11 since I'm only using MC12 now, so I uninstalled it.  After this was done, the same links on Allmusic now gave me a message regarding the file:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Tmeporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\<xxxxxxxx>\amg[1].mcsp

To the best of my memory, the message said "application not found."

I checked the file associations for "MCSP" and found an entry called "Mimetype Manager."  According to the advanced properties for this filetype, it wanted to use a program in the MC11 program folder called "MimeMgr.exe" to open this filetype.  It now makes sense why MC11 kept opening it, and why I was getting the error now that MC11 was uninstalled -- i.e. MimeMgr.exe was no longer there, so Windows couldn't find it.  I can't, however, figure out how to get everything working again.  I've tried playing a bit with the file association settings, but nothing has worked.  I also tried deleting the "Index.dat" file for IExplorer, but this didn't work either.

I'm basically stuck now.  When I try to play the allmusic preview links, I get an error message saying:

"C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Tmeporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\<xxxxxxxx>\amg[1].mcsp

Invalid menu handle."

Thanks for any help getting this working again.

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Update:

I tried copying MimeMgr.exe back to the Media Center 11 folder (I still have MC11 on another system, so I still had a copy of this file) and re-associating the MCSP filetype to this file.  After I did this, I didn't get the previous error, but I did get an "Error Report" popup saying "Mimetype Manager has encountered errors and needs to close."

It seems like the MC11 uninstall process is leaving a remnant behind that is causing this problem.  Windows is still expecting to see the MC11 "MimeMgr.exe" program even after it's deleted by the uninstall routine.

Thanks again for any help with this,

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up