INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Applying Customized View Changes Globally  (Read 3148 times)

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Applying Customized View Changes Globally
« on: October 18, 2006, 07:44:30 pm »

When "Customizing a current view" (eg, adding/removing columns), is there a way to apply the changes to ALL views?
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

raym

• MC Beta Team
Re: Applying Customized View Changes Globally
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 12:06:05 pm »

*bump*

I thought this feature was added to version 12? Maybe I'm wrong but maybe I just can't work it out?

Anyone know?
Z-Wave Home Automation

dcwebman

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 12:10:27 pm »

I never heard that it was added back, even though it has been requested many times and questioned why it was removed in the first place.
Jeff

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 12:12:44 pm »

It's not there, but you can use presets.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36230.0

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 12:19:17 pm »

Thanks. I'll look into this presets thing then.

I never heard that it was added back, even though it has been requested many times and questioned why it was removed in the first place.

That's a shame :(
Z-Wave Home Automation

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 12:30:49 pm »

Thanks. I'll look into this presets thing then.

That's a shame :(

If it was added to MC12, I've never been able to find it.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 04:47:04 am »

I upgraded from MC11 to MC12. I don’t know if it is the normal way like everyone does it, but I imported my “old” library into MC12. I didn’t want to start a complete new library. So I imported had over 600 playlist into MC.

Now I wanted to change the view settings for all my playlists. I wanted to do this once, but I didn’t find the option to apply settings into every sub playlist or some equal option.

So, if it has been removed (as I read above), perhaps anyone from J River Team is able to tell me, how it can be done without changing every single playlist…

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 12:52:40 pm »

What about a little hint? Nothing to make it easier? I don't have to customize all the 600 Playlists one by one... right?

dcwebman

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 01:50:37 pm »

What about a little hint? Nothing to make it easier? I don't have to customize all the 600 Playlists one by one... right?

Sorry, as far as I know, you do. Unless you perhaps find some macro tool out there that will do it for you.
Jeff

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 02:05:31 pm »

:'( At least I know, that is was not my fault missing that functiion... maybe we'll get it back, if we beg ;)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 05:24:44 pm »

I just thought I'd add my support.  I very much miss the badly named but functionally excellent "Apply to all child views" button in the Customize Current View dialog.

What I'd really like to see I guess would be to have the Customize Current View dialog merged into the Edit View Scheme dialog, and just have you modify all the view settings in one dialog.

Then we could have a "Honor Parent View Settings" checkbox (similar to the "Honor Parent Search Strings" checkbox).  If this happened, they would, of course, need to modify the Playlists and Smartlists to give them access to this limited part of the Edit View Scheme dialog, but it'd be easy enough to just gray out the portions of the dialog box that didn't apply to those types of views.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 04:15:50 pm »

Can we PLEASE get back a option like the old "Apply to all child views" or (even better) something like glynor explained  ?

Then we could have a "Honor Parent View Settings" checkbox (similar to the "Honor Parent Search Strings" checkbox).  If this happened, they would, of course, need to modify the Playlists and Smartlists to give them access to this limited part of the Edit View Scheme dialog, but it'd be easy enough to just gray out the portions of the dialog box that didn't apply to those types of views.

I just wanted to organize a few new (and some old) images in MC12, but I first have to change the view of all my picture playlists!! For pictures, it is good to have eg. the people or place pane visible but I do not need the duration and bitrate pane >:( And I don’t now what to do with artist and title in connection with photos!!
Btw: Arguing against duration and bitrate pane in image views MC itself is on my side ;) it also doesn’t know what to do with them. Believe it or not: these fields are empty for all my pictures!

For my homevideos I’d like to see the people pane, for musicvideos I would like artist better, but I never used the bitrate pane for videos!!!

So, please, can someone explain me how I can get along with my 600 Playlists? And: how to organize the view if I’m using the media buttons? And a little thing curious to me: why does not everyone who manages photos, videos AND audios within MC does have the same problem?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 04:22:51 pm »

If you reset the view at all locations, MC will detect logical columns and list styles for your playlists automatically. (so image playlists get image styles)

We may provide a way to globally set the view setting, although it's a little tricky since, as you've said, you only want the changes made to certain views.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 04:59:22 pm »

If you reset the view at all locations, MC will detect logical columns and list styles for your playlists automatically. (so image playlists get image styles)

I’m sorry, but this doesn’t work for me. MC always resets to audio view, even if reset the view at all locations… but no matter about that. I’m happy to see that it is in your mind to bring this (basic as I thought) feature back some time.

We may provide a way to globally set the view setting, although it's a little tricky since, as you've said, you only want the changes made to certain views.

As I said: the old way (Apply to all child views) was working very good for me. Don’t know why it was removed!? For me it works fine.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 05:43:21 pm »

I’m sorry, but this doesn’t work for me. MC always resets to audio view, even if reset the view at all locations… but no matter about that. I’m happy to see that it is in your mind to bring this (basic as I thought) feature back some time.

Create a playlist of only images.  Do reset view.  It'll switch to thumbnails.  Switch it to details manually and you'll see image-type columns.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006, 06:05:31 pm »

Create a playlist of only images.  Do reset view.  It'll switch to thumbnails.  Switch it to details manually and you'll see image-type columns.

Didn't work. I choose one picture playlist, then "view setting"-> "customize current view" -> "reset view..." -> "for this location". Tried the same for "all locations". I always get the panes used for audio file view (Seq,Name, Artist, Album, comment, duration, Track #, Date, user field 1, Bitrate, Date imported, Filename).

Even if this option works: it's not what the programm to do. So, I'm still looking forward of what you guys will bring us :)

btw: is it possible to change the view all locations are reseted to?

Microsoft Windows XP  Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1789 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 785 MB, Free - 188 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive Y:   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive Z: IDE     DVD-ROM 16X       Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive Y: SONY     CD-RW CRX1611      Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 06:23:37 pm »

I would say that right now MC does an excellent job of logically knowing which settings to apply everywhere.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball
Pages: [1]   Go Up