INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with tagging podcasts  (Read 1552 times)

Solomon

• Junior Woodchuck
Problem with tagging podcasts
« on: October 19, 2006, 07:03:29 am »

I just subscribed to a whole bunch of podcasts today, and they are busily downloading right now.

I'm getting a slew of error messages of the following kind:

Media Center encountered erros while tagging and moving files.  Check that the files exist, are not read-only, and are not in use by other programs.

Tagging error: C:\Music\Podcast\Episode08238994.mp3

Apparently MC downloads the podcasts into files of that type, and then renames them according to their tags to put them in a different folder.  This seems to work must of the time, but as of now 27 out of 86 podcasts in my library still have names of that type, and for most of those 27 I can't find the associated file anywhere on disk.

Ideas?  Suggestions?

Solomon

P.S. I'm using MC 11.1.201, but I had the same problem with 11.1.200.  Here is my System Info:

Media Center Registered 11.1.201 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Unknown 539 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1038 MB, Free - 373 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E: SONY    DVD+-RW DW-Q58A   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: SONY     DVD+-RW DW-Q58A    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /

Solomon

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Problem with tagging podcasts
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 02:24:04 pm »

No suggestions?  I have a bunch of podcasts in my library now with missing files, and I can't seem to listen to them.  If I delete them from the library, they just reappear instantaneously with the file "deleted".  How can I compel MC to redownload a deleted episode?  Maybe if I get it to download again it won't screw up the tags and lose the file...?

Solomon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 06:38:39 am »

bump...

Am I the only person ever to have experienced this bug?

No clues, no suggestions?

Solomon

Solomon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 06:06:46 pm »

Do I need to supply some more helpful information in order to get an aswer to this question?  Please let me know what is needed and I'll happily do everything I can.  I'd love to get this figured out soon, it's driving me nuts!

Solomon

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 10:31:25 pm »

What are all of you podcast settings?

What directory is the default podcast directory (this is where it pulls the file to) in options > podcast?

What is the feed name?

What are the 'Directory' and 'Filename' tag rules (edit this feed > set tag properties)?

Solomon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 07:36:36 pm »

My podcast settings started at the default - I didn't change any of them until I noticed this problem.  Here's what they are now:

Podcast Directory: C:\Music\Podcast\
Check for new episodes every 60 min
After a download error retry in 5 min
Attempt each download at most 10 times
Stop downloading when less than 10 GB free
Allow up to 10 simultaneous downloads (I've had this set as low as 1)
Tag and File Renaming Rules: all set to default except for Name: [title]
Delete when all episodes exceed 977 GB
Delete only when max disk space exceeded: not selected
Keep Orphan Episodes: All Episodes

There doesn't seem to be a pattern with which feeds exhibit this problem.  If I told you the feed names then I'd be outing myself as a public radio junkie.  But this problem has happened with just about every feed that I subscribe to.  It happens a minority of the time.  Right now I have about 127 podcast episodes with missing files, out of a total of 534 downloaded episodes -- about one-quarter of my downloaded epsides are missing.  The filename property on all of them is C:\Music\Podcast\<something>.mp3 -- they failed to move to the appropriate directory.

The Directory and Filename tag rules are all set to the default values.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Solomon

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 08:41:33 pm »

Only two thoughts:

1) you have permission issues (but then ALL would fail and not just some).

2) The tracks with issues have forbidden filename characters in the [title] ( / \ : * ? " < >  or | ) so the rename is failing.

Solomon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 02:05:55 pm »

if the rename were simply failing then wouldn't the file still be in its original location?  these podcasts are vanishing, i can't find them anywhere on my system.

should i just upgrade to 12.0 and hope the problem disappears?

solomon
Pages: [1]   Go Up