INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting Release Model  (Read 1947 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Interesting Release Model
« on: October 17, 2006, 08:08:31 pm »

I can't believe how interesting your release model is!  You guys release new versions, even of older v11, very often!  I am used to updates every few months or so.  I guess you roll a lot of smaller updates into each version (maybe a big item or two) and then release very often.  I understand the beta is a work in progress but even that--daily new releases with changes!  It's impressive.

How many people actually make it a point to download every new version?  That would cost J River a lot of money in bandwidth!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Interesting Release Model
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 02:17:45 pm »

I do.

Actually, I typically download every release twice (once at work and once at home).

Sorry if my downloads are costing a lot.  I'd use bittorrent downloads if a Torrent file was made available!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 02:26:59 pm »

We pay about $0.05 a day for your services, glynor.  That's a bargain!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 03:34:46 pm »

;D

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 09:28:28 pm »

Hey... I've been thinking.  Why don't you seed a torrent file for the new builds?  I'm sure you'd be able to set it up so the torrent file is automatically generated when the build is finished (and then maybe we can even grab it via a RSS feed or somthing).

It's all positive.  I'd use it, and I'm sure some other people here would use it too (heck all those people from my survey with Opera have it built into their browser)... It might get us some quicker downloads (don't get me wrong, your server screams typically, but my torrent speeds can really fly at times), and it might save you a little money in bandwidth costs.  Even if it's not much, a penny saved...

A little here, a little there.  It's like network environmentalism.  And furthermore...

Why not?

dcwebman

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 06:19:48 am »

FYI, I have been using Free Download Manager (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/) and have been having great luck with MC downloads. I usually do 2 downloads too, work and home, but sometimes I'm kind and copy it to my USB flash drive instead to carry it to the other location.
Jeff

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 11:55:29 am »

lol.  Download manager!  I hope you're using Firefox and then why would you need a manager.  Those programs just plain suck.

Anyway, I think they should save the little bit on bandwidth by using torrents and then use a feed--that would be great--and then hire an extra, very short term, low hours guy with the money saved and get FLAC support native and built in so it doesn't crash every 3 songs.  That is ridiculous it isn't built in!

dcwebman

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 12:04:34 pm »

lol.  Download manager!  I hope you're using Firefox and then why would you need a manager.  Those programs just plain suck.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Have you ever tried one? It speeds up the download of large files tremendously because it splits the download into separate parts. And I'm using IE. Try the one I mentioned and you'll understand without laughing.
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up