INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: :( My PC died and I lost my most recent restore and I only have 2 left!!  (Read 2074 times)

cynp

I feel really worried.  First of all, admittedly unwisely - I didn't read the licensing agreement thoroughly.  So when I recently built another computer and was having a trouble with a hardware conflict resulting in 2 reformats - I didn't think twice about restoring MJ.  So before I even knew about the limit of 6 restores per year I had already used up 3!  All of this since my purchase date of 8/5/02!!  

You see I love MJ so much I installed it prematurely.  (Another unwise move.)  So with only 3 restores left I ended up needing to reformat my main PC without the opportunity to backup my most recent restore!  Now I'm down to TWO and have owned MJ for a mere 34 DAYS!! And as if this isn't alarming enough...the last time I restored I did it from the internet because I was so brain dead from all of these PC problems.  Now I have only two left - no copy of my last restore from a few days ago and I still need to restore MJ on my laptop.  

Woe is me.  sniff-sniff

I wish I had read the licensing agreement instead of assuming that just because I paid for it that I could restore it indefinitely...

Better yet, I wish there wasn't a limit...

But since there is, it would be so great if you guys would at least give me 2 of my restores back.  I do product testing and have to reformat WAY more than the average PC user.  A limit of 6 simply isn't enough and especially considering I "wasted" 2 of them and lost other two.  

Is there any way I can get some restores back since I've only just purchased MJ barely 5 weeks ago??  Pretty please.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE::( My PC died and I lost my
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2002, 05:07:20 pm »

Don't worry.  We are going to up the limit a little and we'll try to take care of problems like this one.

Jim
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

CynP

RE::( My PC died and I lost my most recent restore...
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2002, 07:37:19 pm »

Thank you SO MUCH, Jim, for the reassurance!  Can you offer more in-depth details as to the whens and whats of this increase?  Do you think I should wait for the increase before using up another restore on my laptop?  

BTW - you're fast!   Thanks again for your time and attention.  You da man!

nila

RE::( My PC died and I lost my most recent restore and...
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2002, 11:56:36 pm »

Jim, you know I've never liked the registration process or limit so I'd just like to say a VERY big thank you for upping the limit.
I'm not sure what your going to up it too but anything will be a big improvement to us users.
I mean even something like 20 would be pointless for people dumping it on the warez scene as these would be gone instantly but for us users it would be quite good.

Might I also suggest putting a message on the actual restore page itself warning about the 6 upgrades and the 15 days grace period as well as a suggestion about waiting till the 30 day trial is up before using a restore. This would all just help inform the users easily of information I gained from this forum.

Anyway, just really wanted to say thanks for upping the limit.

Nila

cynp

RE::( My PC died and I lost my most recent restore & I only have 2 left!!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2002, 02:21:08 pm »

Jim, when will the new restore rules be posted?  Can you please tell us the details now?  

Thanks in advance!

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
RE::( My PC died and I lost my most recent
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2002, 02:50:55 pm »

>> Jim, when will the new restore rules be posted?
prob when MJ9 goes Beta.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

nila

RE::( My PC died and I lost my most recent restore ...
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2002, 12:15:38 am »

What I was thinking for the new restores,
could you please do it as at least 12 as this would mean that by combining this with the 30 day trials there would never be a problem of having a period for which I couldn't use MJ.

zak326

• Recent member
  • consultant
REthis Restore thing SUKS!
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2002, 01:34:56 am »

I really like this product, but the one thing that really bugs me is this whole limited restore thing. In this  day and afge when you have constant compatibility problems with all these new versions of everything (especially o/s's). it's tough to not have to reinstall etc.  

This is the one issue that has kept me from recommending the jukebox to friends and clients.

todds

RE:( My PC died...
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2002, 04:35:22 am »

wow. i didn't realize until i read saw this thread that there is a limit to the number of times MJ can be installed (or "restored"). This to me is a total crock of crap and makes no sense from any standpoint. If someone from J River could explain why something like this makes sense, and be prepared to defend it in common sense terms I will back off, otherwise they should drop it as a pointless restriction.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
zak326
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2002, 04:39:49 am »

zak326

I would agree with you if it was not for the fact that some people whould buy MJ then post the info on the net so others could also register it.

I do think if a user is using the same IP ADDESS as the orginal then there should be no limit, but if another IP address was used then i would see a problem with that.

Since my IP address has been the same for the last 2 years i do not see why I should be limited. On the other hand I have only used One(1) Restore, and thats because this is a new computer. So i don't see a major problem with the current system.

todds

You can chill out now

The whole system is to keep honest people honest, and for users who have had problems JRiver has restored the users restores if they were a valid customer.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Galley

RE::( My PC died and I lost my most recent restore
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2002, 05:12:42 am »

Restore limit?  That's news to me!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
RE::( My PC died and I lost my most recent restore and I only have...
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2002, 05:53:30 am »

We're not trying to take advantage of anyone -- just provide some measure of protection in our licensing scheme.

If you run out of restores, talk to us and we'll work it out.

Thanks for understanding.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up