INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When did the following changes happen and are they intentional?  (Read 4743 times)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
When did the following changes happen and are they intentional?
« on: October 23, 2006, 03:23:56 pm »

A couple of things I've recently noticed.

1. I have an image view scheme of People (grouped)/People. It used to be, in MC11, that if I selected 'A' from the People grouping, that the next pane would show me only the list of people whose names started with 'A'. Now, the list I get has all sorts of names in it. I'm not sure how this list is constructed, but one theory I had was that it's showing me the list of people whose names start with 'A', and all of the names of people who also appear in pictures with people whose names start with 'A'. Is that assumption correct? Or is it a bug? Either way, it's completely broken this part of MC. I can no longer easily whittle away my list of pictures to find one of a certain person.

2. IIRC, there used to be a "Search" function in Theater View, where you could build the name of what you were looking for, letter by letter. This appears to be gone now. What was the reason for its removal? Or am I just blind and it's still there?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: When did the following changes happen and are they intentional?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 04:02:21 pm »

1. I guess you missed this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36469.0

Perhaps you should move No. 1 there.

2. I don't recall seeing a search in Theater View, but I don't use T.V. often. Looks like MC11.1 doesn't have it either.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 04:02:40 pm »

2. IIRC, there used to be a "Search" function in Theater View, where you could build the name of what you were looking for, letter by letter. This appears to be gone now. What was the reason for its removal? Or am I just blind and it's still there?

It's still there... you need to bring up the context menu (which has the search option in it) by either right-clicking or using the keyboard "menu" key on any item other than the actual file.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 04:07:05 pm »

1. I guess you missed this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36469.0

Perhaps you should move No. 1 there.

Yeah, I did miss that thread, and like slipknot said in that thread, it makes groupings for multi-valued fields pretty much useless now.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 04:15:42 pm »

It's still there... you need to bring up the context menu (which has the search option in it) by either right-clicking or using the keyboard "menu" key on any item other than the actual file.

Ah, you're right. Not sure why I didn't see that before.

But now I have another question... There used to be an "All" item in every Theater View list. Either that's gone now, or I misconfigured something.

For instance, I could enter into an Artist Album (auto) (grouped)\Album Artist (auto)\Album view scheme in Theater View, then choose All, which was my first item in every list, and see all of my Album Artist (auto)s, rather than just a limited list based on which group I chose in step one. Where did All go?

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 05:10:42 pm »

Yeah the default "All" item was removed a while back.  You can achieve the same result with a new dedicated view scheme which I prefer I must admit.
Z-Wave Home Automation

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 08:28:19 pm »

For those that have issues with this change, please speak up.  I'm not on the "A" list of users that are listened to, we need more voices.  The current operation is downright wrong, but I don't think my posts are taken seriously.  I think they listen to doof.... anyone else?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 08:37:15 pm »

For those that have issues with this change, please speak up.  I'm not on the "A" list of users that are listened to, we need more voices.  The current operation is downright wrong, but I don't think my posts are taken seriously.  I think they listen to doof.... anyone else?

I don't think there is an A-Team.  Err... A-List of users (there's definitely an A-Team!)...

Of course, you might just think... "Sure he doesn't, because he's on it."

I think if you stick around though, you'll see that they take all advice and suggestions seriously, so long as they're well thought out and well defended.  Just look at what happened with the Tag AW!

That said...

I'm pretty "meh" on the whole issue currently, but I don't know that it will last.  Right now, most of my tags that use a "List type field" don't have so many entries that I need to filter them into groups.  That will change eventually though, as I progress with my keywording project.  Eventually, I can see wanting to use something like this, especially for my Keywords field, and my Subgenre field.

So... There.  I've spoken up.  It won't directly affect me currently, but eventually I'd like to see this changed.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 08:54:55 pm »

Blind Faith does not start with a "C".

I do have one or more Blind Faith tracks with "Blind Faith;Clapton, Eric" as my data for the ArtistList field (and rightly so!).

But when I select artists starting with "C" I don't expect to see Blind Faith -- and I didn't with v11 as I do in v12.

(the AW tagging was improved, but the tick list selection for multiple delimited fields could be so much BETTER, accodating both mouse and keyboard users.  But as of now, it's certainly usable, but is quite a downgrade from v11 usability...)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 10:13:57 pm »

Blind Faith does not start with a "C".

I do understand why it stinks.  It just only applies to List type fields, of which I happen to not have any set to group in my view schemes.

Ever since I read (and posted) on this topic I've had the A-Team theme song stuck in my head.   ::)

Deh-de-duh-daaa!  Duh-duh-daaaaaah!

Hugo_Elbuho

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 12:08:40 am »

Hey, here you have again my sore throated voice, so here i speak up Doof...  (kind of ...cghhh cghhh)

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36386.0

Through this post I mentioned,  in my opinion, one of the downsides i found with navigation in T.View by the fact of having the "All" item removed (but still being kept in Standard View).

It's not consistency through different views that i miss, it's not even that i hate the fact of having to dedicate more time to set new view schemes to consider all needed combinations. It's just that i think the "All" item could simplify things a lot and then  make the yet wonderful navigation with a remote control quicker and more functional on T.View.  It's flexibility what i think this is about and that single thing used to make big plus. 

At least leaving it as an optional item in Theater View would be two thumbs up.

I would really like to read and understand why and when did that change if you could please lead me to the right thread.

Thanks and regards from Ecuador!

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 01:01:23 am »

Hey, here you have again my sore throated voice, so here i speak up Doof...  (kind of ...cghhh cghhh)

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36386.0

Through this post I mentioned,  in my opinion, one of the downsides i found with navigation in T.View by the fact of having the "All" item removed (but still being kept in Standard View).

It's not consistency through different views that i miss, it's not even that i hate the fact of having to dedicate more time to set new view schemes to consider all needed combinations. It's just that i think the "All" item could simplify things a lot and then  make the yet wonderful navigation with a remote control quicker and more functional on T.View.  It's flexibility what i think this is about and that single thing used to make big plus. 

At least leaving it as an optional item in Theater View would be two thumbs up.

I would really like to read and understand why and when did that change if you could please lead me to the right thread.

Thanks and regards from Ecuador!

I can't say why or when it was removed but I know this for sure, since I can remember, more people have complained about the persistent presence of the "ALL" item than those wanting it back.  I've never expressed this view personally here on this forum but I must say I was happy to see it gone. It just doesn't offer anything a simple user customised view scheme can't and in many cases, it was often duplicating the functionality of my other all-type view schemes.

I like the way it is. If it was to return, I'd be wanting a way to get rid of it again. Perhaps an option could be built into the view scheme dialog to enable it/disable it??
Z-Wave Home Automation

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 03:15:15 am »

It just doesn't offer anything a simple user customised view scheme can't and in many cases, it was often duplicating the functionality of my other all-type view schemes.

The problem is that we shouldn't HAVE to create these extra view schemes just to gain such basic functionality.  if you're someone who USES the "all" category, you REALLY miss it when it isn't there.  For example, not having the All category really comes into play with albums having multiple artists, such as soundtracks.  When I want to select a soundtrack, I select the Sountrack Genre then "All" artists, at which point I get a list of ALL soundtrack albums -- containing both single and multiple artists.  I cannot do this without the "All" category unless I create a seperate View Scheme JUST for these situations.  This is such a messy way to deal with something that the "All" category took care of quite gracefully, adding only a SINGLE item to any list.

The Theater View reallyneeds the "All" category in order to work the same way the pane view does.  Not having the "All" category in the Theater View effectively FORCES you to have to create new View Schemes in order to get the same functionality, which in turn complicates browsing in Theater View.  There is a reason the iPod continues to utilize the "All" category in it's lists -- it adds key funcitonality.

Larry

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 03:40:51 am »

I was looking for such a search button in TW, thanks for the heads up :)

But has it always been so "monkey"? Clicking around on diffrent letters. I would really preffer a type field which updates a list, instead.

Or is there a way to fix this as well?
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 07:00:50 am »

But has it always been so "monkey"? Clicking around on diffrent letters. I would really preffer a type field which updates a list, instead.

Or is there a way to fix this as well?

Yeah that's how it is and has been for a while. I suggested an on-screen keyboard a while back which would be very slick but I'm sure that'd be a lot of work to implement. I like your idea though. The main problem with the current search function is that it's a bit tedious and kinda difficult to use, especially for new users.
Z-Wave Home Automation

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 09:16:11 am »

The problem is that we shouldn't HAVE to create these extra view schemes just to gain such basic functionality.  if you're someone who USES the "all" category, you REALLY miss it when it isn't there.  For example, not having the All category really comes into play with albums having multiple artists, such as soundtracks.  When I want to select a soundtrack, I select the Sountrack Genre then "All" artists, at which point I get a list of ALL soundtrack albums -- containing both single and multiple artists.  I cannot do this without the "All" category unless I create a seperate View Scheme JUST for these situations.  This is such a messy way to deal with something that the "All" category took care of quite gracefully, adding only a SINGLE item to any list.

I too liked and miss the "All" item, for exactly the reason Larry stated.  I saw people complain that it was there and ask how to remove it, but I always wondered why it bothered them so much...

How is it in the way, when it does provide useful functionality?  Does it hamper your ability to use Theater View in some way, or is it just an irrational hatred of seeing options you don't want to use?

Perhaps to appease those who just hate seeing it for some reason it should be added to the "menu/right-click" menu in Theater View -- choose a node in TV and "menu/right-click" Show All.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 09:19:42 am »

For those of us who use remote controls, it would be really nice if Theater View treated number key keypresses in Text entry boxes like a Cell Phone keypad.  One press = 2, two quick presses = A, three = B, four = C, and so on and so forth.  Pause for a second to advance to the next character, and 0 would give you some simple punctuation (space, dash, slash, colon, comma, etc).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 09:53:56 am »

The search is actually pretty slick if you get used to it.

It shows results (art) as you search, filters letters that wouldn't do anything, and lets you search inside any item.  Also, the icon grid of letters is pretty fast to move around with the remote.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 04:40:16 pm »

I'm confused -- how do you access the Theater View "search" feature with a remote?  I can get to it with a right click on the mouse, but I can't figure out how to get to it with the normal remote commands (I use Girder.)  Someone above said to use the "keyboard menu key," but I don't know what key this is, and I can't "Right click" since I'm not using the mouse.  (Am I just being lame here?)

Thanks,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2006, 04:49:22 pm »

I too liked and miss the "All" item, for exactly the reason Larry stated.  I saw people complain that it was there and ask how to remove it, but I always wondered why it bothered them so much...

Now that I've had a chance to play with Theater View some more, the lack of the "All" catetory is proving to be a real problem.  Unless I make a new View Scheme JUST for this (which creates more clutter in the tree), I literally cannot bring up a view of all albums within a genre.  I can no longer browse to "Soundtracks" or "Christmas" (which contain many compilation albums) and then bring up a list of ALL the albums in the genre.  I HAVE to pick an artist first, which ends up giving me only partial albums for any compilations.

This is a real problem.  Is there any chance of bringing back the "All" category?  Was it really such a "problem" for people, because the lack of it definitely IS a problem in my opinion.  What was the main complaint that led to getting rid of it?

Thanks,

Larry

johnnyboy

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2006, 06:53:30 pm »

I agree about the 'all' being crucial.

Please return it :(

its great to be able to just skip fields when you dont want to have to filter by them.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2006, 08:24:34 pm »

I'm confused -- how do you access the Theater View "search" feature with a remote?  I can get to it with a right click on the mouse, but I can't figure out how to get to it with the normal remote commands (I use Girder.)  Someone above said to use the "keyboard menu key," but I don't know what key this is, and I can't "Right click" since I'm not using the mouse.  (Am I just being lame here?)

You send the key with the keyboard spoofing plugin.  It's code is <APPSKEY> (because, you know, that's obviously it).  ;)  It does the same thing as the windows menu key on your keyboard if you have one of the "regular" extended keyboards that are pretty much standard now.  That's the key that has basically a picture of the right click menu on it.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2006, 08:54:42 pm »

I literally cannot bring up a view of all albums within a genre. 
I guess my default view scheme is [1. Genre, 2. Album] so it's a non-issue for me. Then, I simply use the the Play All item on the left hand nav menu to play them all if I wish. My point is that the "all" functionality is therefore still there if you want it.

This is a real problem.  Is there any chance of bringing back the "All" category?  Was it really such a "problem" for people, because the lack of it definitely IS a problem in my opinion.  What was the main complaint that led to getting rid of it?
I've never asked for it's removal but many have. It was never a "problem" but I never used it and therefore always saw it as unneccessary clutter. I like to control what is shown and how and MC obeys this in every sense like the "show in theater view" check box on the customize view scheme dialog for instance. The persistent "All" item to me broke this control.   

Z-Wave Home Automation

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2006, 10:51:03 pm »

I guess my default view scheme is [1. Genre, 2. Album] so it's a non-issue for me. Then, I simply use the the Play All item on the left hand nav menu to play them all if I wish. My point is that the "all" functionality is therefore still there if you want it.

No, it's not.

It's not about trying to Play All. It's about trying to Browse All. And you can't do that anymore. To get back even a crippled version of the functionality I had with the All option, I have to create two new View Schemes, and I like I said, neither one alone, or even both together, give me the same easy browsing capability that I had when All was still present.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2006, 11:14:28 pm »

It's not about trying to Play All. It's about trying to Browse All. And you can't do that anymore. To get back even a crippled version of the functionality I had with the All option, I have to create two new View Schemes, and I like I said, neither one alone, or even both together, give me the same easy browsing capability that I had when All was still present.

Thanks Doof -- that's exactly what I was going to say.  I don't want to "Play All."  I want to (for example) BROWSE all the "Albums" within a given genre WITHOUT limiting the list to only certain artists.  This is easy to do in the pane view because it DOES have an "all" category, and you can see ALL the albums from ALL the artists in a give genre by simply not selecting an artist.  In Theater View, not having the "All" category FORCES you to have to select ONE artist, which destroys the ability to easily navigate in this fashion.

I haven't played with Theater View on MC12 in a while, so I had no idea just how much of a problem this was until just recently.  This has effectively crippled one aspect of browsing in Theater View.

As far as clutter goes, it adds a lot of clutter to have to create new View Schemes just to be able to get this functionality, and it necessitates more work when navigating since I can no longer just select "Soundtracks" and then the "All" category when browsing Soundtracks.  I now have to create a seperate View Scheme for this, then once I'm in Theater View I have to navigate back to the root and select the new View Scheme when I want to browse these particular albums.  This adds quite a bit of complexity and "clutter" compared to simply having the "All" category.

Larry

Hugo_Elbuho

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2006, 11:25:32 pm »

I've seen through these posts that users like me who deal with non standard views, probably more complicated than the presets and who really felt very close to how powerful  the "All" item made browsing in T. View are the ones who miss that feature the most.

Again... please consider it as an option at least.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2006, 11:35:54 pm »

You send the key with the keyboard spoofing plugin.  It's code is <APPSKEY> (because, you know, that's obviously it).  ;)

"<APPSKEY>" ...of course -- how silly of me.  Everybody knows that! ;)  I assume this is the "APPS" key in Girder, correct?  (I guess I'll find out soon enough.)

It does the same thing as the windows menu key on your keyboard if you have one of the "regular" extended keyboards that are pretty much standard now.  That's the key that has basically a picture of the right click menu on it.

I do have that key, and it works as you said (I don't think I've EVER used that key before.)  I'll have to figure out a key to assign this to on the remote.  The "Menu" key makes sense, but I'm already using that for "DVD Menu," so I'll have to give this some thought (uh-oh.)

Thanks,

Larry

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2006, 07:50:56 am »

I do have that key, and it works as you said (I don't think I've EVER used that key before.)  I'll have to figure out a key to assign this to on the remote.  The "Menu" key makes sense, but I'm already using that for "DVD Menu," so I'll have to give this some thought (uh-oh.)

Just so you know, once you open the menu via the <APPSKEY> (still makes me laugh that its named that), you can navigate through it with the arrow keys, and you can exit from it using the ESC key.  That works well for me because I have my remote's Exit button assigned to the ESC key.

Pages: [1]   Go Up