INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CCCP questions  (Read 2935 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
CCCP questions
« on: October 24, 2006, 11:58:24 am »

I am unfamiliar with CCCP and am nervous about installing it.

My system is nice and stable and reliably plays all media types that I need.

I read the CCCP Wiki and it looks like it will be replacing many of my existing codecs. I also did not see instructions for uninstalling CCCP if I run into problems.

Do I have any reason to be concerned, or should I just plunge in and install it?

Rob

glynor

• MC Beta Team
CCCP
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 12:28:36 pm »

The goal of CCCP is to provide a unified codec pack that can reliably handle the vast majority of video media types out there.  It is the official Matroska (MKV) codec set now, and is quite stable.  It is built primarily on FFDSHOW, which is probably the best known and tested MPEG4 decoder filter there is.

I, personally, think that if you go with CCCP instead of a mishmash of individual codecs you'll probably have much better luck.  It installs cleanly and has an Add/Remove Programs entry that will completely remove everything it installed (that's half the point of the pack, because so many of the others out there don't have this).  It really is best to start off "clean" with a bare minimum of other codecs installed.  XviD and DivX are fine if you want to use one of them to encode video (they are not needed if you aren't going to make your own videos), RealAlternative and Quicktime are also fine, as are many others.  You do want to avoid conflicting software though (especially that included in other "popular" codec packs and old versions of things like DirectVobSub, DivX 3.11, and similar things that aren't needed at all).

However, if you're uncomfortable doing so, then you can certainly install and use FFDSHOW on it's own.  It will work for this purpose fine, it just doesn't provide the other benefits of the stable codec pack.  I'd recommend using the builds from Celtic Druid that Jim linked above, though you could also go with the 20051129 build on the FFDSHOW wiki (I've found problems with MC12 and it though so be careful).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
CCCP questions
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 12:29:54 pm »

I was like you RJM and found that it did have issues with at least my interactual DVD decoder, but prompted to disable it. I haven't done any compares yet between the two but, it does have an uninstall feature. I had to re-install interactual to get it to work again. Not sure if the CCCP pack supports DTS & all the features of the Interactual package I had. I ended up re-installing CCCP and only installing the FFdshow modules and it seems to be working fine. Just waiting to be able to play the files within Media Center! I hate Google videos lameo player. Hopefully the youtube buy out will make things better over time too. FWIW. "In Communist Russia, codec plays you." Crazy commies.
Thanks!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: CCCP questions
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 12:43:20 pm »

Any problems with DVD playback codecs are because CCCP includes it's own codecs for MPEG-2 playback (which work quite well on my systems), and which are set as the default when you install CCCP.  Just like everything else, whenever you install a new codec, they tend to "take over" playback of the media types they support.  CCCP actually lets you easily disable this for most of the common types in it's settings.  Check the options during the install process.

After the fact, if you want to keep your own MPEG-2 DVD decoders as the defaults for DVD playback but use CCCP for everything else you can easily manually increase the priority of the codecs that got "shoved to the back of the line".

There are two ways to do this:

1) reinstall whatever codec/application it was that got usurped (WinDVD or whatever)

2) use a DirectShow filter manager, like Rad Light, to increase the priority of the codec that isn't being used.  This is a little more complicated, but if you have questions just ask and I'll explain (do a search here first for Rad Light because I've linked instructions before).

I would also mention though that I've done some serious testing and generally the codecs in CCCP outperform those in WinDVD and PowerDVD by a fair margin when used from within MC.  FFDSHOW most certainly does support AC3 audio, dolby surround, and all that good stuff.  I'm not positive about DTS (you could certainly ask on the CCCP forums).  Keeping the WinDVD filters isn't a problem if you like them.  I don't, but YMMV!

rjm

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 12:57:24 pm »

Thanks guys. Most helpful.

I will give CCCP a try.

Rob

Tab

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 07:31:41 pm »

I tried cccp on the testbed machine a while ago, and the result was the machine was able to play less formats, not more. Uninstalling didnt work out, so I was left with a media incompetent machine. Total Uninstall 2 helps a lot with undoing damage, but cant bring back erased files. So despite the glowing reports, its not perfect.

Tab

rjm

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 10:52:12 pm »

Thanks Tab.

I have had second thoughts. My system works exactly as I expect, so I will wait for a problem before installing CCCP.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 12:47:59 pm »

I tried cccp on the testbed machine a while ago, and the result was the machine was able to play less formats, not more. Uninstalling didnt work out, so I was left with a media incompetent machine. Total Uninstall 2 helps a lot with undoing damage, but cant bring back erased files. So despite the glowing reports, its not perfect.

I have not ever had any similar issues with it.  I wouldn't say any open source software is ever perfect, but with current builds I have installed and uninstalled it multiple times on multiple machines without issue.  I also certainly have NOT had any issues with it corrupting or deleting files.  I'm extremely skeptical that the components included with the codec pack even could do such a thing...

Either way... The choice is up to you.  Installing FFDSHOW on it's own is certainly an option.  I've had very good luck with the particular build of FFDSHOW that comes with CCCP (I cannot say the same thing with older builds which have caused thumbnailing problems in MC12).  If you want FLV decoding to work, FFDSHOW can handle it.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 08:37:34 pm »

I installed it last week, and the only issue I had was error messages from the Hlaali splitter, and this has since been fixed. I'd go right ahead and give it ago... I've been really happy with it so far.

Tab

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 11:48:14 pm »

I have not ever had any similar issues with it.  I wouldn't say any open source software is ever perfect, but with current builds I have installed and uninstalled it multiple times on multiple machines without issue.  I also certainly have NOT had any issues with it corrupting or deleting files.  I'm extremely skeptical that the components included with the codec pack even could do such a thing...

All I know was after uninstall, the system was no longer able to play formats it previously did. Whether cccp erased previous codec files during its install I dont know, but I do know the whole exercise left me with nothing but a bunch of media problems.

Tab
Pages: [1]   Go Up