INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC over internet codec?  (Read 1063 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
MC over internet codec?
« on: October 25, 2006, 11:31:48 am »

Now that I have MC over the net working, I have a few questions.  First, what codec do you guys use and what quality settings?  I have been playing around with them and had one that worked very quickly with great quality but can't seem to get back to it now.  It think VBR is important so you get good quality without wasting bandwidth.  I should have 1Mb up upload which is closer to 500Kb of truly usable bandwidth so I should be able to use the highest quality mp3's but it still stutters a bit.  Everyone please answer these questions:

1) How many songs do you have?
2) What codec do you use?
3) What quality settings for that codec do you use?
4) What down/up speed do you have on server side?
5) What down/up speed do you have on client side?
6) How often do you experience stuttering?
7) How happy are you with the quality?
8) What duration do you usually listen at a time?  Do you leave it streaming all day at work, for example?
9) ...

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
Re: MC over internet codec?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 11:43:24 am »

Are we talking about using mp3s to stream ?

thought you had ripped everything to lossless.

thing with lossless is (and i'm guessing) its like like encoding at 750+kbs..maybe more. So if you only have 1Mbs on your upload side then its possible there might be stuttering.

If however you have little over twice the bandwidth on the upload side compared to the encoding rate of your media, i'm thinking it will work just fine. Assuming of course the latency between the server & client is low...anything less than 100ms.

This is prolly a good reason why ppl just get humongous portable players and take their music with them. MC with lossless media works best over a LAN.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: MC over internet codec?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 01:51:34 pm »

I know that.  I'm asking what conversions do you guys use?  I did rip to FLAC and have on-the-fly encoding enabled to MP3 but am asking what others use as their codec for this procedure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up