INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Add to Playing Now - harder to use in v12 (RESOLVED)  (Read 2426 times)

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
Add to Playing Now - harder to use in v12 (RESOLVED)
« on: October 25, 2006, 07:43:06 pm »

Add to Playing Now

is much harder to use in v12.  It used to be a top level menu for most right clicks.  Now it's one level lower in "Play".  Since I use "Add to Playing Now' so often, it belongs on the top level where it was in earlier versions of v12 and in all of v11.

Update:  I had an option checked "right click advanced play menu" under "Tree and View->Advanced" which when I unchecked it, I got the menu's back as I like them.

Operator error...

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Add to Playing Now - harder to use in v12
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 07:51:31 pm »

Just on this, I would love for a similar option for Theater View to be able to have "Add" appear at the top of the context menus rather than "Play".

Any chance of this please?

Thanks.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

dcwebman

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 07:42:34 am »

Update:  I had an option checked "right click advanced play menu" under "Tree and View->Advanced" which when I unchecked it, I got the menu's back as I like them.

Operator error...

I like the option checked because then that means if I want to do something like "Add (Play Now)" it means I only have to go 1 submenu deep instead of 2. But I do miss the Add to Playing Now at the root menu which is why I asked this a few builds ago, but never got a reply.

Can we get Play and Add to Playing Now still at the top of the first menu when the option is checked?
Jeff

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 09:06:53 am »

This is an example of why options can be bad.  Even advanced users get tripped up.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Add to Playing Now - harder to use in v12 (RESOLVED)
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 11:21:53 am »

I love how everyone gets so worried about a little problem like, "Wahh, the Add to Now Playing should be at the top." etc.  The funny part is that things like that are often added in!  I remember when I was still using iTunes around June 2006.  What if I went back to that?  Where would I send my feature requests?  Uhhh, I'd probably write a book or two on what I'd like in iTunes...or I can just go with MC and be reasonably happy with strong chance for feature additions.

That's like the complaint Mozilla got (FF 2.0) for the door knob on the Home icon being centered when it should be a little lower--it's ONE pixel!

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 12:01:03 pm »

I love how everyone gets so worried about a little problem like, "Wahh, the Add to Now Playing should be at the top." etc.  The funny part is that things like that are often added in!  I remember when I was still using iTunes around June 2006.  What if I went back to that?  Where would I send my feature requests?  Uhhh, I'd probably write a book or two on what I'd like in iTunes...or I can just go with MC and be reasonably happy with strong chance for feature additions.

That's like the complaint Mozilla got (FF 2.0) for the door knob on the Home icon being centered when it should be a little lower--it's ONE pixel!

Different people use a product differently, and therefore care about different things.

Just because another program has no user support, does not make any requests or observations one of us makes as "Wahh..."

iTunes and Mozilla are free, we paid for MC.

dcwebman

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 01:47:44 pm »

Different people use a product differently, and therefore care about different things.

Correct. I could care less about all this Theater support and comments. I'll never use it.

This is an example of why options can be bad. Even advanced users get tripped up.

Matt, this whole issue/confusion would never have happened if when the option was added, that Play and Add to Playing Now were left at the top of the first menu regardless if the option was checked or not. I think the option came about because I made some comments about the root Play item overwriting Playing Now when I wanted to immediately play a song but not affect the Playing Now list. The solution at that time was that one had to go 2 nested levels deep with Send To in order to get to that selection.

You solved that problem by adding the option that allows only going 1 submenu for that selection but in the process removed the Play and Add to Playing Now that were at the top of the first menu.

Personally I don't see why there's an option at all. Just put the Right Click Advanced Play Menu there, put Play and Add to Playing Now back on top of the menu, and then remove that Option.

Is that possible?
Jeff

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Add to Playing Now - harder to... (RE-RESOLVED?)
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 02:04:27 am »

2. Changed: Removed experimental "advanced play" right click option.

Why was #2 removed?
I had my system set to this and liked it.

As it was an option, how was there a down side to it as no one who didn't want it, had to use it.

Could it be like this? (The option would not be needed.)

Edit: Possibly my "ASCII art" didn't show up corretly with all browsers. I changed it to a screenshot.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 06:49:01 am »

I like Alex' Idea, but I have configured 5 zones... maybe the list gets a bit long then? And what about people having even more zones? If this way (Alex’ way) is going to be the one it’ll go (and I’d like to), there should be a checkbox within the zone manager, whether a zone is listed in the right click menu or not.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 07:26:19 am »

I like Alex' Idea, but I have configured 5 zones... maybe the list gets a bit long then? And what about people having even more zones? If this way (Alex’ way) is going to be the one it’ll go (and I’d like to), there should be a checkbox within the zone manager, whether a zone is listed in the right click menu or not.

If you have five zones would a bit longer list really be a problem? I mean, do you use a small resolution display with MC's Standard View?

For me, the now removed option would have been fine.

I just would like to have easy access to Zone specific play commands when I need them.

Many of us use the Zone system for previewing files privately in one zone and sending files to another zone for public playback.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 07:34:09 am »

I like your idea Alex. "Play (Special)" is much better language to use than having that stuff hidden in "Send to"

dcwebman

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 07:45:50 am »

Personally I don't see why there's an option at all. Just put the Right Click Advanced Play Menu there, put Play and Add to Playing Now back on top of the menu, and then remove that Option.

Is that possible?

Hmmm, I could have sworn I said the same thing as Alex's first example but without pictures. Put the Play menu on the root along with Send To and put Play and Add to Playing Now. But as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Perhaps I should have done a mockup.  ;)

Hopefully Matt can put the Play menu back on the root with no option since obviously there was more than one person using it.
Jeff

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 08:59:08 am »

v12 will maintain the same play layout as v11. 

We threw the option at the wall and it didn't stick.  We may try agin for v13.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dcwebman

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 02:43:03 pm »

Unfortunately the option didn't stick because it wasn't discussed, at least that I saw, ahead of time with the users. If it had been, there wouldn't have been the comments after that there was a better design. I don't see the big deal with putting the Play menu in the root like it was when the option was clicked and keeping Play and Add to Playing Now still there. But then again I don't make the decisions.
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up