INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tagging mode should be a little different...  (Read 1001 times)

enervation

• Junior Woodchuck
tagging mode should be a little different...
« on: October 26, 2006, 11:56:03 am »

I have videos organized in a 3 pane system... type (tv, film, home video etc.), artist, season.

If I import new videos, I can select them under 'Type = unassigned'. Then, using the tickboxes, I can select the correct type... but not the correct artist or album, since the only options listed there are 'unassigned' and 'unassigned'.

2 ways of fixing:

1) Don't filter the panes based on selections in tagging mode

2) Refresh the panes after each tag change so that the correct options can be selected.

I hope I've explained this properly... I will explain further if necessary

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: tagging mode should be a little different...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 12:12:05 pm »

There are problems with both suggestions...

If you don't filter the panes, you can wind up with 100's of entries in the pane, many of which are completely irrelevant, making it tiresome to locate the specific tag or tags you might be trying to target.

Refreshing the panes after each tag change can slow things down considerably for more complex view schemes. I've seen instances here where it could take more than 10 seconds for a tick to appear in the pane.

In situations such as you describe, I switch to using the tag window, where, regardless of selection, all choices are available for list type fields, and auto-complete can help for large lists of 'standard' edit type fields.
Another approach could be to sort the file list by [type], which would keep all the unassigned files together in the list, and so easily selectable, and you would then have all existing options for tagging mode available in the panes above.

Again, this is one of the reasons I created a "Workshop" tree node. All viewschemes in there are set up specifically for work. In there, I have pane, column, sort choices etc. etc. all geared towards helping me get the work done as quickly as possible, leaving the main media type nodes purely for playback pleasure.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 11:42:10 pm »

Your solution of sorting by "type" is helpful Marko.

I'd like to request persistent selection of files in the list though. This would help in tagging mode, since you'd be able to refresh panes and continue tagging the same files.

It would also help when switching between tiles view and panes.

And it would also be nice when clearing the search box, if the files were still selected; Allowing you to continue your browsing from where your search left off.

The current default: "reset all selections" is inconvenient in a number of ways.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 06:53:07 am »

we used to have persistant selection and to be honest, it was rather tiresome. Imagine a list filtered down to handful, one file selected and finished with. reset selection so that there are many 1000's of files listed, and somewhere in that list, there is a file selected, and the only way to deselect that file is to filter the list so it's not included, then go back again, select all, then invert selection, or scroll all the way down to the bottom to find, and click on, the 2 pixels of blank space at the end of the list. I'd rather not go back to all that.

As MC 12 is right now (build 106), pressing F5, or clicking on the refresh buttons, does not destroy the file selection.

Pages: [1]   Go Up