INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC and net remote  (Read 1148 times)

Snickering87

• Recent member
MC and net remote
« on: October 27, 2006, 12:02:36 am »

I currently have one computer with MC11 installed.  I am going to install 2 other computers.  The MC install will be the server.  It has 3 separate outputs.  Two of the outputs are going to 2 other rooms with stereo receivers.
I am looking for info on setting up MC properly as a media server.  The other two computers are going to be running Net remote.  Here is my end goal
1 media server running JRiver
2 clients running netremote
Share one library and playlists among the 3 computers.

Questions that come to mind
1.  How does net remote connect to J River (on the JRiver side), is it "media server"??
2.  If it is "media server" does it run as a service??  If it does not, than a client cannot connect if a person is not logged on to the computer (am I correct)
??
3.  Can a person, that is using the net remote client, create playlists??
4.  Here is the big question, How do I  properly setup JRiver to meet my end goal???
5.  Is my endgoal possible??

My thought is I need to create 3 zones.  Make sure that eachzone is outputting music to the proper output.  Than setup netremote to control a specific zone (am I close)?  Can net remote be setup to control a specific JRiver zone??

Thanks for all your input
Bill

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
Re: MC and net remote
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 03:17:27 pm »

NetRemote has its own server program, which you have to run.

This hooks directly into Media Center, and it does effectively mean you need Media Center running. You might be able to get it to run using one of the methods that are described elsewhere to get MC running, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Yes, it inherently supports different zones. This is one of the really useful things about it.

You can't create playlists using NetRemote, but you can build your own 'playing now'. They just aren't saved; of course MC does keep "recent playing nows" (though I think they get cleared on exiting the app?) so it's not so different from creating playlists.

If you really want to create playlists, then either use Remote Desktop or VNC to remote control the main PC.

Snickering87

• Recent member
Re: MC and net remote
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 07:39:47 am »

Let me clearup how I am to do this with net remote.

Am I to install net remote on the machine that is running JRiver and the client that is going to access it???

Can I use the playlists that are on the JRiver server from net remote??

I see a few people taking about using JRiver as a client to a JRiver server.  Would this fit my needs more (ie would the JRiver client be able to create playlists).   

Thanks for the info and help
Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up