INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover versions  (Read 1110 times)

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Cover versions
« on: October 27, 2006, 01:14:39 pm »

Artist A comes out with a song.

It gets so popular that many other artists release covers for it.

simplest i can do, is add (cover for Artist A) in the track name but its not ideal.

Does anyone know of a way to indicate that the latter tracks are just covers for the orginal Artist A track ?

For some reason i got to thinking of hyperlinks.

If the track name is a hyperlink, click it and you end up with the original artist track.

Is a hyperlink in a detailed text view distracting or potentially useful.

jgreen

Re: Cover versions
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 02:04:20 pm »

hitman--

I'd love to see hyperlinks incorporated in MC, for a variety of applications which are probably best left for MC 13.

Regarding "covers", I've been stuffing this annotation into my custom "version" field, which has now become semi-colon delimted and more or less useless for browsing.

As far as annotating track name, I think that's a bad idea for several reasons.  The biggest for me:  MC's search engine has no "fuzziness" to it, so say if you are listening to Neil Young's "Down By The River" and want to right-click/locate/name to find all covers of that song (there are about a half-dozen, most of them in my library), your search won't bring up "Down By The River--Cover", etc.  So as best as I can, I try to homogenize the naming and put annotations like "extended" "live" "cover", etc into other fields.

On the other hand, I do try to inject annotations into my file names.  This is to try and avoid overwriting or "deleting duplicates" when in fact they are not duplicates.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
Re: Cover versions
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 03:31:47 pm »

MC's search engine has no "fuzziness" to it,
Agreed..if it honored un-enclosed text, things might be better.

so ..a Locate-->Name retrieved

Name (version A)
Name (version B)

..so long as Name between the two versions or more is unique ..in addition to being an exact search.

Not unlike the way it can bring up artists with the same spelling but may or may not have accented chars in it. You could say its not exactly the same thing but close enough.

This would make it a lot easier to find covers without the supporting custom fields but ...heh..not exactly typos (the holy grail).
Pages: [1]   Go Up