INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loosing iPOD stats  (Read 2009 times)

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
Loosing iPOD stats
« on: October 30, 2006, 06:46:37 pm »

I'm facing an issue with my iPOD that might be related to MC. Here's the situation...

I sync my iPOD at home and when that happens it also syncs my playcount/last played info. This work fine. Recently I've been plugging in my iPOD at work via USB as well just to charge it (my battery is slowly getting ill). I don't sync it at work, but when I plug it in all my playcount info and bookmark info(where I left off playing in a track) is lost.

Has anyone else seen this? Is this MC or something else?

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Loosing iPOD stats
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 08:40:52 pm »

Some changes were made in recent builds.  Here is Matt's reply on it:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36623.msg249786#msg249786
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 10:33:11 pm »

I guess the interesting part of it is why do stats such as ratings not update due to 'last modified' even if the MC version's rating wasn't changed?

Is there no way around this?  I don't remember it being like that.

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 12:10:55 am »

Hmm, I don't think this is related to my problem. I'm not seeing anything getting synced on my PC at work (which is correct), but I'm still loosing my iPOD stats just by pluggin into that PC.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 12:36:19 pm »

Sorry to hijack your thread ( :-[), but my first post is related as changes were made to how the ipod syncs data in recent builds.

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 06:57:14 pm »

Don't mind the hijack.

Yesterday my problm actually didn't repro. The one difference was that I set up MC on my work PC to recognize, but not sync, my iPOD. Previously I'd told it to just ignore the iPOD entirely. Perhaps that's why. If so, it sounds like it migt be a minor bug.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 09:22:45 pm »

I guess the interesting part of it is why do stats such as ratings not update due to 'last modified' even if the MC version's rating wasn't changed?

Is there no way around this?  I don't remember it being like that.

I've been using the new sync features since they were first provided and find it to work perfectly.  I don't normally use the ratings tag, but when I tested that it also worked just fine. 

Maybe I don't understand the specific issue you are having.  If you provide a more specific example I will try testing it on my side to see if I get the same results.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 09:40:03 pm »

What Matt said is that if your files are being edited, say any tag change, then it won't synce any data even though the speciifc field being edited wasn't changed, which in my opion is too limited.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 10:20:00 pm »

What Matt said is that if your files are being edited, say any tag change, then it won't synce any data even though the speciifc field being edited wasn't changed, which in my opion is too limited.

I'm still not sure I understand. 

When I make changes to tags (say as an example Lyrics, Cover Art, and Ratings) they are considered changes and do cause a sync for those files.  In these situations, I'm making the changes in MC. The tracks on the iPod were there before the changes.  After I make the changes, the iPod is updated correctly when I do the next sync. 

Is this the situation you are describing or am mis-understanding your problem?

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 10:33:07 pm »

Don't mind the hijack.

Yesterday my problm actually didn't repro. The one difference was that I set up MC on my work PC to recognize, but not sync, my iPOD. Previously I'd told it to just ignore the iPOD entirely. Perhaps that's why. If so, it sounds like it migt be a minor bug.

Sorry, but I'm now also hijacking your thread.   Hopefully your problem has worked itself out.  If you still have a problem, make another post and maybe we can help out.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 12:22:20 am »

I'm still not sure I understand. 

When I make changes to tags (say as an example Lyrics, Cover Art, and Ratings) they are considered changes and do cause a sync for those files.  In these situations, I'm making the changes in MC. The tracks on the iPod were there before the changes.  After I make the changes, the iPod is updated correctly when I do the next sync. 

Is this the situation you are describing or am mis-understanding your problem?

I'm not talking about 'where and when' the physical files are synced, but rather the metadata inside them (techincally the ipod database) such as 'Rating' that does not get updated to the MC database if the file is edited in any way regardless if the rating is chnaged in MC or not.

To me, the rating should still get updated unless the rating was changed in MC.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 10:11:26 pm »

I'm not talking about 'where and when' the physical files are synced, but rather the metadata inside them (techincally the ipod database) such as 'Rating' that does not get updated to the MC database if the file is edited in any way regardless if the rating is chnaged in MC or not.

To me, the rating should still get updated unless the rating was changed in MC.

OK.  Then this is not related to the sync enhancement Matt referenced.  The sync enhancement triggers a file sync by checking the file change date between the iPod and MC.  It causes the physical sync to pick up most tag changes, as most tag changes update the change date.  I do not think (I may be wrong) that MC syncs any meta data, only the physical files.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 10:23:13 pm »

Right I kinda of got off track in my second post on this thread, but still think that just because a file is 'edited' on the MC side, it doesnt mean that the ipod stats shouldn't be updated to MC.

dcwebman

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 07:12:11 am »

I sync my iPOD at home and when that happens it also syncs my playcount/last played info. This work fine. Recently I've been plugging in my iPOD at work via USB as well just to charge it (my battery is slowly getting ill). I don't sync it at work, but when I plug it in all my playcount info and bookmark info(where I left off playing in a track) is lost.

I used to do the same thing but didn't want to take any chances when charging at work. A simple A/C charger from Ebay for about $10 solves the problem.
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up