INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: Anyone using IE7?  (Read 5552 times)

Robert Taylor

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living in a Smokeless Zone...
OT: Anyone using IE7?
« on: November 01, 2006, 01:40:52 pm »

...now that it's officially released?

Is anyone using it? If you are do you have any observations?

Does it have glitches?

Is it fast?

Does it crash?

Is the tabbed browsing easy to use?

Is it FUN?
Cheers
Rob

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: OT: Anyone using IE7?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 01:44:30 pm »

...now that it's officially released?

Is anyone using it?

Yes

If you are do you have any observations?

It Works

Does it have glitches?

Yes

Is it fast?

Depends On Your Connection.

Does it crash?

Yes, I Have Seen It Crash, But IE6 Did Also

Is the tabbed browsing easy to use?

Yes If You Like Tabs

Is it FUN?

More Than Watching Paint Dry?, Yes
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 01:46:27 pm »

I downloaded and installed it on one of my machines, just to look at it.

I don't like the new UI.  It's very "bubbly" and it's absurd that you can't (without hacking it) move the File-Edit-Tools-Etc menu bar back up to the very top of the window like it is in literally every other application for Windows there is.  The toolbars at the top aren't very "clean" IMHO, and there still isn't as powerful of bookmarking support as there is in Firefox (Live Bookmarks are much slicker than IE7's RSS implementation).

I use IE for WindowsUpdate and that's about it.  I don't even use WindowsUpdate that often, now that WindizUpdate exists.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 01:49:36 pm »

Thanks King...by fast, I meant page rendering speed...

I recently tried Opera 9.02 (it's now free)...and I couldn't believe how slow it rendered pages (compared to Firefox 2). That was on a LAN (ie. viewing an intranet web app)

Cheers
Rob

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 01:50:49 pm »

Generally, the reviews I've seen said that it was much faster than IE6, but not quite as fast as Firefox 2 (though better than Firefox 1.5.x).

I dunno.  Seemed about the same to me.   ::)

EDIT:  My other general "opinion" on it was that it seemed like it was more difficult to customize it to act how I want it to than Firefox was.  A simple example... to switch it's search function to use Google instead of MSN, I had to jump through a bunch of confusing pages (which then dumped you back to the beginning with no clear message that the change had been made).

With Firefox, It Just Works.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 01:59:03 pm »

All the testing on screen page speed is subjective, and depends what code is in the page, and what it wants to display.

your graphics card also will help improve this because cheap video boards will not render the screen as fast as the turbo charged ones.

I seen a test comparison and ie7 did good on it, and depending what it was doing scored higher than others.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 02:10:04 pm »

I've got IE6, FF2, and Opera 9 installed here.
FF is always the one that takes the longest to open.
Rendering speeds on them is all so quick that it's just
not noticable.  Quick tests indicate that Opera seemed
to render quicker but for most web pages it was under 3 seconds for all three
browsers.
for all pages, and my computer would be the thing thats
slowing that down me thinks!
One thing i hate about the way FF and Opera renders things is the way they
puts those unloaded bitmaps in first.  IE doesn't do that.
Last time i installed IE7 it royally upset my computer,
so i'm avoiding it until i absoloutley have to.  It doesn't do anything I need anyway.

IE6 still does everything I want it to (And more: stupid popup blockers....)
and remains my browser of choice for start up speed.

dcwebman

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 02:15:39 pm »

FF is always the one that takes the longest to open.

I just started looking at FF because of work, but I read somewhere that the reason it may take longer to open is dependent upon the number of extensions you have installed for it.
Jeff

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 02:29:39 pm »

I just started looking at FF because of work, but I read somewhere that the reason it may take longer to open is dependent upon the number of extensions you have installed for it.

None.  I'm led to believe there is actually one extension which
speeds FF up but I've never actively searched for it.

Shelly

• I love listening to music with Media Center!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 03:47:09 pm »

None.  I'm led to believe there is actually one extension which
speeds FF up but I've never actively searched for it.

I think it's Fasterfox.

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1269/

As long as Firefox as been brought up, one of my favorite extensions is FoxyTunes because it works with MC12:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/219/

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 03:55:41 pm »

The only reason IE loads so fast is because most of it is always in memory due to it being so "tightly integrated" with the OS...

-John

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 04:09:19 pm »

The only reason IE loads so fast is because most of it is always in memory due to it being so "tightly integrated" with the OS...

-John

Definitley, but as far as I'm concerned I don't care I'm a user.
When I go to start my browser. I don't think ooh actually I want the one
that hasn't spent all my time getting ready when i turned the box on.
I know I'll spend the next 30 - 40 seconds watching an hourglass yes please!
I just want to hit a button and start browsing.

IE6 is also integrated with the filebrowser in Windows.  Another reason
I don't want to move to IE7. Less Windows integration!
FF's file browser still looks like it come fresh out of Windows 3.1
Opera's looks nice but doesn't do drag and drop still...

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 04:15:21 pm »

I could live with IE7 if I had too.... But I still like Firefox better.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 04:39:25 pm »

I don't like the new UI.  It's very "bubbly" and it's absurd that you can't (without hacking it) move the File-Edit-Tools-Etc menu bar back up to the very top of the window like it is in literally every other application for Windows there is.

Glynor,

did you ever had a look at Office 2007? This is the way Microsoft apps will work in the future. No more menu bar, but ribbons. And probably the same will happen with many other apps (including MC13 probably).
If you ever tried Office 2007, it really is the new way of using the UI. No more menus to dig for commands, but everything openly displayed.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 10:21:22 pm »

As long as Firefox as been brought up, one of my favorite extensions is FoxyTunes because it works with MC12:
I read on another thread that FoxyTunes and MC12 don't get along well (MC crashes).  Do you have different experience?

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36134.msg246345#msg246345

rjm

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 10:26:37 pm »

IE7 works great for me, although final version released in last couple days seems to crash a little more often when pushed than previous beta release.

I have Firefox installed but don't use it.

Shelly

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 10:27:54 pm »

I read on another thread that FoxyTunes and MC12 don't get along well (MC crashes).  Do you have different experience?

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36134.msg246345#msg246345

I'm not experiencing any crashes with FF 2.0 nor did I with the FF 2.0 betas.  I did have some crashes with MC in one of the builds in the last couple of weeks that resolved with a subsequent build.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 10:30:01 pm »

I upgraded to IE7 from IE6 and basically have no issue with it.  I think it's better than IE6. 

I mostly use FireFox 2.0 which I like prefer over IE7.  Still have to use IE7 for some web sites.

I also had Opera, which I liked, but I un-installed it.  2 browsers is enough.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2006, 10:31:08 pm »

I'm not experiencing any crashes with FF 2.0 nor did I with the FF 2.0 betas.  I did have some crashes with MC in one of the builds in the last couple of weeks that resolved with a subsequent build.

Thanks... I was only staying away from FoxyTunes because of the other post.  I'll give it a try.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006, 11:09:53 pm »

Thanks... I was only staying away from FoxyTunes because of the other post.  I'll give it a try.

Basically it looks like it works.  However, a couple of times when I closed MC (with FireFox open), FireFox crashed.  Anyway, I try it for awhile.

Shelly

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2006, 09:15:34 am »

I upgraded to IE7 from IE6 and basically have no issue with it.  I think it's better than IE6. 

I mostly use FireFox 2.0 which I like prefer over IE7.  Still have to use IE7 for some web sites.

I also had Opera, which I liked, but I un-installed it.  2 browsers is enough.

Same for me, but I haven't uninstalled Opera.  I tend to go back and forth between Opera and FF, although I find myself using FF more and more because it doesn't have page rendering issues as does Opera.  I see no reason to customize IE7 to reproduce the functionality I have with Opera / FF.  Also, I never get the load of spyware that I do with IE7 when I use either Opera or FF.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2006, 09:34:22 am »

I use IE for WindowsUpdate and that's about it.  I don't even use WindowsUpdate that often, now that WindizUpdate exists.

Strangely enough, I use IE7 all day long every day (and have since the beta) and have never had it crash until I just visited that link. :P

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2006, 09:39:17 am »

EDIT:  My other general "opinion" on it was that it seemed like it was more difficult to customize it to act how I want it to than Firefox was.  A simple example... to switch it's search function to use Google instead of MSN, I had to jump through a bunch of confusing pages (which then dumped you back to the beginning with no clear message that the change had been made).

With Firefox, It Just Works.

Really? I had the exact opposite experience. Adding search providers to IE7 and switching the default was a piece of cake. Three clicks and your done, for either task.

Meanwhile, I had to search for, download, and install some extension into FF just to be able to resize the menu bar.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2006, 10:20:30 am »

did you ever had a look at Office 2007? This is the way Microsoft apps will work in the future. No more menu bar, but ribbons. And probably the same will happen with many other apps (including MC13 probably).
If you ever tried Office 2007, it really is the new way of using the UI. No more menus to dig for commands, but everything openly displayed.

They have backed down quite a bit on the ribbon in Office.  We'll see what happens when it actually is released, but my guess is that there will be an option to disable it (or revert completely to the old-style UI) either initially or with an early service pack.  Business IT departments are quite scared of the UI change and they drive Office adoption.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2006, 10:25:29 am »

Really? I had the exact opposite experience. Adding search providers to IE7 and switching the default was a piece of cake. Three clicks and your done, for either task.

One click in Firefox, and it's part of the search bar (with a simple drop down list).  I can (and do) switch back and forth between search providers 9-10 times a day if I want (IMDB for this, Amazon for that, Google for general, eBay for buying things, etc, etc).

Different search engines for different tasks.  Plus, I hardly ever actually use the search bar, since I can use the QuickSearch feature of Firefox to design my own keywords for use in the address bar.  I want to search for something on IMDB?  I type "imdb <search terms here>" in the address bar and hit enter.  If I can't remember the keyword, then I can use the search box!

I know I'll spend the next 30 - 40 seconds watching an hourglass yes please!
I just want to hit a button and start browsing.

That certainly would be a dealbreaker for me too!  None of my systems, save a very old PowerMac G4 dual 400 MHz, perform that badly with Firefox 2.  What kind of system are you using it on??

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2006, 11:14:24 am »

The 35 seconds was actually recorded off a work machine running at 2.8ghz but to be fair that was with Firefox 1.5.
FF2 does seem to have speeded things up alot, and seems to come in under 10 seconds most
the time here now, on a much slower machine.
Although it is random... everynow and then it just seems to get caught up in
something.
More than anything I probably need a new machine.  ::)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2006, 01:21:14 pm »

One click in Firefox, and it's part of the search bar (with a simple drop down list).  I can (and do) switch back and forth between search providers 9-10 times a day if I want (IMDB for this, Amazon for that, Google for general, eBay for buying things, etc, etc).

We need to compare apples to apples here.

So I downloaded FF2.0 and compared it to IE7 when it came to adding new search providers.

IE7    : 4 clicks
FF2.0 : 5 clicks

Here's the breakdown:

IE7

1. Click on the dropdown next to the search button
2. Click on "Find More Providers". This will load a webpage with the list of installable providers
3. Click on the name of the provider you want to add
4. Click OK

FF2

1. Cick on the dropdown next to the search button
2. Click on "Manage Search Engines"
3. Click on "Get more search engines". This will load a webpage with the list of installable search engines
4. Click on the name of the engine you want to add
5. Click OK

I'm really not seeing how you can call that a more complicated procedure under IE7. They're almost identical procedures with the exception that FF has an additional step.

Switching search engines is nearly identical as well. Open the dropdown and choose which engine you want to use to carry out your search.  The only difference I can see here is again something I'd put in favor of IE7. I can choose a default search provider that is used when I quickly type in a term and hit enter (or when doing searching from the address bar), but I can also pick a search engine to use just that one time by picking it from the list. FF seems to make your last choice your new default. Not sure which way is better, but I know I prefer to leave it at Google, and then just choose something different if I want to later.

And I see I still can't resize or move any of the toolbars. But I suppose there's a buggy extension that will offer me that functionality if I'm just willing to spend enough time looking for one.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2006, 01:45:07 pm »

I really like the "ALT + s" shortcut here for posting a reply after typing it out. Now, when I do that in FF2, it pops the History menu instead. I don't like that.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2006, 08:10:31 am »

I installed IE7.  The first page I opened was lastminute.com.  IE7 crashed out straight away.  Won't bother again!  FF2 does everything I need and is more customisable.  Plus it has better standards support and any pages that are IE-specific coded (tut, tut!) can be opened inside the firefox chrome using the IE rendering engine using the IETab add in.  Simple and effective.

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2006, 10:49:02 am »

So I downloaded FF2.0 and compared it to IE7 when it came to adding new search providers.

IE7    : 4 clicks
FF2.0 : 5 clicks

When I posted I wasn't referring to adding new search providers, I was referring to switching back and forth.  Apparently this is easily possible with IE7 according to Doof's post, and I just didn't investigate it enough, so I retract that criticism until I've had a chance to play with it further.

That doesn't negate any of my other issues with IE7 at all, the real deal-breaker of which is lack of cross platform compatibility.  I need to be able to use the same browser, with the same customizations, on all of my machines (Win32, OSX, and Linux included).

That said.... It is nice that Microsoft finally (how many years later?) decided to update their browser again to bring it at least to parity with the old versions of Firefox and Opera, and to improve somewhat their standards compliance (though IE7 is still by no means completely fixed in this regard).  I just feel that they didn't really bring much "new" to the table worth speaking of, other than a debatable UI change that seems a little "forced" on you (and a bit out of place on Windows XP).  To each their own though!  I'd certainly say that overall, it's a huge improvement compared to IE6.  Compared to Firefox 2.0 or Opera 9?  Eh!   ::)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2006, 11:05:04 am »

I installed IE7.  The first page I opened was lastminute.com.  IE7 crashed out straight away.  Won't bother again!  FF2 does everything I need and is more customisable.  Plus it has better standards support and any pages that are IE-specific coded (tut, tut!) can be opened inside the firefox chrome using the IE rendering engine using the IETab add in.  Simple and effective.

Adam

IETab does simplify going to a site that is only compatible with IE, but it still requires you have IE.  So you will still be using IE7 as a second browser.  There is no way around that.

BTW, I have no real problems with IE7.  I just think FF is better.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2006, 11:54:40 am »

I installed IE7.  The first page I opened was lastminute.com.  IE7 crashed out straight away.

Works fine here. Sure there isn't a problem with your PC? ;)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2006, 12:58:49 pm »

Adam

lastminute.com works fine with IE7 on my PC.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2006, 07:44:09 pm »

I've been using FoxyTunes with MC12 for about a day.  I never have a problem with MC.  I do, sometimes, crash FF if I close MC.

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2006, 10:58:42 pm »

I have IE7, Firefox 2 & Opera 9 installed.

IE7 = Only for windows updates and other microsoft crap, loads paging at average speed and thats about it, IE6 was being corrupted all the time, what a joke.

Firefox2 = Doesn't seem to be as good as Firefox 1.5, many internal bugs still and extensions are losing their charm by not being updated on time, many are still buggy.

Opera9 = This browser rocks, loads pages faster and uses way less memory than the other two browsers. Every aspect can be customized to the users preferences including skins and widgets. Tabbing is better, bookmarking is a dream and mouse gesturing is a god send. It also has built in bit torrent and an email client to die for, i am using it for both my regular pop3 email and with ypops, my yahoo webmail account, works great. Oh and did i also mention that it has built in transfer manager,chat,notes, the ability to take up from last session, command control by voice and on the fly screenshots to see whats on closed tabs.

Here's a pic of my opera setup :

TC  :)

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2006, 05:46:06 am »

Some of my family uses Opera and swears by it.  I have not tried.

I have started wiht IE7 and it brings it closer to what i want but not great.  GUI is a mixed bag at best.  Buttons are not where I would like them, I find myself searching for Refresh a lot since it is way at the end of the URL.  I do like that it leaves a mini tag right where you would want a new tab, you click it an it becomes a real tab.  Nice stuff.  A bad thing is a set of tools that are in the tab area -- I don't mind the tools, but I should be able to move them out of that area to leave them usable without taking up "tab space".  When the designer takes away customization of toolbars, that is bad.

FF2 has been good for me, occaisional glitch.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2006, 06:41:55 am »

Is it FUN?

Only Opera has Widgets. My favorite is the aquarium simulator. It is fun and very useful for... well, for nothing. :)

Click to see more of this sreenshot.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2006, 09:46:48 am »

I used it for a spell, but I like using Maxthon, so while it uses the IE engine, I don't really use IE 7.
Been playing with Opera and like all except the fact that I can't find a way to get RoboForm to work nicely with it.

For me, I could care less about the "Standards" debate as I have yet to visit a site worth a bookmark that does not display fine in an IE engine.
Don't care that IE starts faster, faster is good.
Don't care about the alleged security risk, I live in one of the most infested neighborhoods on the 'Net. I visit LOTS of sites everyday. I haven't had anything get past KAV and Prevx1 yet. Ad Muncher likely helps that too, blocks many bad behaviors, not just ads.
Don't care about the crashes that most FF users say they had with IE. I don't see the same on my machine nor those who I support.

My wife uses IE exclusively. Can't get her to use FF, Maxthon, Opera. I just add mouse gestures, RoboForm, and Google Toolbar and she is happy. For fun, go to www.sina.com.cn and see how your favorite browsing setup fares.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2006, 12:51:18 pm »

OK,

I had IE7, FF 2.0 and Opera 9.  FF 2.0 was my main browser.

I deleted Opera 9 as 2 browsers is enough. (you have to keep IE7)

I reinstalled Opera based on this thread.  Give it another try.

I'm now going back to where I was.  IE7 & FF 2.0 with FF as the main browser.  I'm more convinced then ever that 2 browsers is enough.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2006, 03:56:40 am »

I really HATE the IE7 popup blocker.

"This website is using a scripted window to ask you for information. If you trust this website, click here to allow scripted windows..."

Oke, click it and you will see "temporarily allow scripted windows".

I added the site to allow popups, to no avail. I searched through all the options for allowing scripts and stuff but nothing that specifically allows this option to PERMANTENLY allow this for a site.

You can allow it, but it will allow more than just that and for ALL sites you visit.

Next to that, certain sites allways have the horizontal scroll bar. Making the window larger or smaller or full screen doesn't help, the page scales with the window and the amount you can scroll is always the same.

Firefox doesn't have any of these flaws.

I do like the way fonts look in IE. Firefox has never really been able to match the smooth look of webpages the way IE shows them, which is mostly because of font smoothing in IE.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2006, 03:59:07 am »

And I don't know if it still works with version 2, but in the past you could speed up the startup of Firefox with a "/Prefetch:1" on it startup command line.

johnnyboy

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2006, 05:11:30 pm »

Zoom

• Recent member
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2006, 11:06:25 pm »

Personally I did not like IE7 at first, but I find it is SLOWLY growing on me.

I also, like FF2 alot better.

Prior to the two big updates I used IE more and FF less... why?

I really liked the FTP features of IE, but now that IE7 stripped them... I see myself using FF more and more.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2006, 11:39:33 pm »

Shelly,

I've been using FoxyTunes with MC12 for a couple of weeks now.  MC12 never crashes, however, FF 2.0 always crashes if I close MC12 without closing the FF browser first.  Do you have this issue or is it just me?

Thanks,

Randy
Pages: [1]   Go Up